Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: IR Remote for Foobar (Read 3461 times) previous topic - next topic

IR Remote for Foobar

I am using an old laptop (a Dell Pentium 266 MMX) to run Foobar in my TV room.  It pulls files off another much faster computer in the basement via 100 mbps ethernet.  The laptop is plugged into an external DAC in my stereo via an Onkyo UD-5 USB Digital A/V Adapter.  I would like to buy a remote control to use to control Foobar.  I have a Packard Bell Fast Media Remote but I can't get it to work (I think remote itself is the problem, not any software problem).

Can anyone suggest a remote that I may be able to buy at a computer store that might be easier to use?

I have read the threads about WinLIRC and IRassistant.  I think I can configure them, but I need a decent remote.  I am not very handy and probably can't build one myself.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

IR Remote for Foobar

Reply #1
Ok... I did some Google searching and found the Irman infrared receiver that connects to a serial port.  It also looks like I can use my Sony universal remote for my TV and stereo.  This is great because I don't have to buy another remote.

Does anyone have experience with the Irman?  What did you do to configure it for Foobar?

Thanks!

John

IR Remote for Foobar

Reply #2
I built myself a IR Serial reciever which ic displayed on the WinLirc website. Installed winlirc to decode the ir signals, then used Girder to control foobar, zoomplayer etc. Works very well once setup. Takes a while to setup how you would like it.

You can near enough use any remote control you own as WinLirc learns the keys off the controls. I personally use my Palm Tungsten E as a remote control. Then using a program called Omniiremote you can create the buttons you need etc.

Works really well for me.

Saint
"If you cannot read this, please ask the flight attendant for assistance."
- United Airlines Flight Safety Brochure

IR Remote for Foobar

Reply #3
I am using WinLirc to decode the buttons and IRAssistant to control foobar2000. I just made some Global Hotkeys in foobar for Play, Next, etc. and assigned these hotkeys in IRAssistant to the different WinLirc Signals. Works perfectly

IR Remote for Foobar

Reply #4
Girder comes with (or you have to download it from their webpage, don't remeber exactly) a plugin for the Packard Bell Fast Media Remote (Igor SFH-56) so you don't need to use winlirc. Then just set up girder to send the keystrokes that will trigger foobar to change song, play/pause etc. Works for me...

IR Remote for Foobar

Reply #5
I just ordered the IRman and will try that with either Girder or IRassistant and my Sony universal remote.  I think my Packard Bell never worked correctly anyway.

Thanks for all the info.

John