Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Converting to WAV with Foobar (Read 3928 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting to WAV with Foobar

Which option would one select when converting a compressed audio file to WAV files (to ultimately transcode to anothe rcodec or to burn an Audio CD for a standard CD player). There are many options for the bit rate and if dithered or not. I have been using 16 bit undithered, but have no clue if that is the best setting or not.

Does anyone know?

Reply #1
For burning, I would say 16 bits dithered with noise shaping (set in playback menu). See this topic.

Now, I'm not sure if the noise added by dithering will have an impact (positive or negative) on encoding quality. I have'nt tested that.

Reply #2
Depends on what you are decoding from.
If decoding from a lossless codec, then the recommended setting would be "16-bit PCM undithered"
If decoding from a lossy codec, you should select "16-bit PCM dithered", to benefit from the noise shaping guruboolez talks about in his thread.

If decoding and burning from a lossy codec, please do not encode again. It would only hurt quality.

Mods, shouldn't this be on foobar2000's forum?
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #3
In foobar v0.8 beta 8 you can Dither only lossy sources, should i choose that option and check Keep loseless sources at original bit depth at 16 bit depth?

Reply #4
For CD burning, you should use the CD burning component of foobar2000.  It is plain and will burn a CD in one step.

In foobar v0.8 beta 8 you can Dither only lossy sources, should i choose that option and check Keep loseless sources at original bit depth at 16 bit depth?

Yes, but keep lossless sources at their original bit depth if not for burning.