Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: %album Artist% (Read 23862 times) previous topic - next topic

%album Artist%

First sorry for stuppid question ;( but i dont understand it?? i cant imagine this 
Everyone says about %album artist% when they have album with various artist. And i know that alot of strings use this %album artist%. Can someone tell me exacly what is this %album artist%?? is this some new value in tag or what ?? can someone tell me where can i find example with this %album artist% (some file which use %album artist%) to see what is this?? or some schema what looks such tag??
one more time sorry for stuppid question ;( but i relly want to fill up my tags best i can:)
please help me
big thx

%album Artist%

Reply #1
First sorry for stuppid question ;( but i dont understand it?? i cant imagine this 
Everyone says about %album artist% when they have album with various artist. And i know that alot of strings use this %album artist%. Can someone tell me exacly what is this %album artist%?? is this some new value in tag or what ?? can someone tell me where can i find example with this %album artist% (some file which use %album artist%) to see what is this?? or some schema what looks such tag??
one more time sorry for stuppid question ;( but i relly want to fill up my tags best i can:)
please help me
big thx
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273714"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

%album artist% is a popular tag field to use to say that an album is by various artists.  This is usually done by creating the %album artist% tag and giving it the value "Various Artists."  If you want to see what tags a file already has, or create an %album artist% field for some of your files, right-click on them and click "properties."

%album Artist%

Reply #2
In fact I've never used this, but now I felt this is useful.

%album Artist%

Reply #3
It works like this:

%artist% should always contain only the artist of the TRACK.
%album artist% is only set when an ALBUM has an overall album-wide artist or is by multiple artists.

So, lets asume you have an album by the "foo-bar collective". The first track is by upnorth, the second by picmixer, the third by lyx. Then.....

WRONG WAY:
%artist% for all 3 tracks = foo-bar collective
%title% of Track1 = upnorth - bleh
%title% of Track2 = picmixer - blah
%title% of Track3 = lyx - blub

RIGHT WAY:
%album artist% of all tracks = foo-bar collective
%artist% of Track1 = upnorth
%title% of Track1 = bleh
%artist% of Track2 = picmixer
%title% of Track2 = blah
%artist% of Track3 = lyx
%title% of Track3 = blub

If the overall artist of a VA-Album does not have a clear name (like for example with compilations) then you can just do %album artist% = Various Artists

The only rule is that %album artist% should be the indicator that an album is by various artists - if thats not the case, then %album artist% should NOT be set. %artist% and %title% should only contain the artist and title of the track itself.

edit: besides of adhering to "the standard" the albumartist-scheme also has some clear advantages for you. For example when doing searches - imagine you want to search for tracks of a certain artist - then with the albumartist-scheme the search will also come up with tracks from VA-albums which are from this artist - but if the artist would be in the title-tag, then this wouldn't work.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

%album Artist%

Reply #4
So, lets asume you have an album by the "foo-bar collective". The first track is by upnorth, the second by picmixer, the third by lyx. Then.....[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273737"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
  (hint: I have two electric guitars, but I can't play...)

%album Artist%

Reply #5
how does the VARIOUS=1 tag relate to this?

%album Artist%

Reply #6
So, lets asume you have an album by the "foo-bar collective". The first track is by upnorth, the second by picmixer, the third by lyx. Then.....[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273737"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
  (hint: I have two electric guitars, but I can't play...)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273743"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm actually making music 

%album Artist%

Reply #7
how does the VARIOUS=1 tag relate to this?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273746"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's unnecessary, because %album artist% serves 2 purposes in one tag:

1. it is the descriptor of the "album-wide artist"
2. it says IF an album is V.A., because it is only set when an album is V.A. So, you can easily check if an album is V.A. just by looking if there is an %album artist%-tag.

Thats what makes this scheme so interesting and widespread used: Just have one tag to solve everything related to V.A.-Albums.

- Lyx

edit: it does not just solve the V.A.-albums problem, but can also be used to solve the problem of tagging split-EPs: EPs or Singles where 1-2 tracks are by artist-A and 1-2 other tracks are by artist-B. Just set
%album artist% = Artist-A and Artist-B
and tag each track with the artist of the track itself.

%album Artist%

Reply #8
Among the following solutions, which one would you prefer? Is there any additional way you could think of?

(redundant information: ALBUM = Dangerously in Love, TRACKNUMBER = 01)

ARTIST = Beyoncé
TITLE = Crazy in Love (feat. Jay-Z)

ARTIST = Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z
TITLE = Crazy in Love

ARTIST = Beyoncé
TRACK ARTIST = Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z
TITLE = Crazy in Love

ALBUM ARTIST = Beyoncé
TITLE = Crazy in Love

ARTIST = Beyoncé
ARTIST (FEAT.) = Jay-Z
TITLE = Crazy in Love

%album Artist%

Reply #9
I'd say:
TITLE = Crazy in Love

Depending on the kind of collaboration
ALBUM ARTIST = Beyoncé
ARTIST = Jay-Z
TITLE = Crazy in Love
might be another option.

I prefer to limit myself to widely used and adopted fields, so TRACK ARTIST and especially ARTIST (FEAT.) would be a big nono for me.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

%album Artist%

Reply #10
My personal opinion for simplicity' and popularity's sake would be:
TITLE = Crazy in Love

But purists would probably say:
ARTIST = Beyoncé
ARTIST = Jay-Z
TITLE = Crazy in Love
(two artist-fields in one track)

%album Artist%

Reply #11
It works like this:

%artist% should always contain only the artist of the TRACK.
%album artist% is only set when an ALBUM has an overall album-wide artist or is by multiple artists.

So, lets asume you have an album by the "foo-bar collective". The first track is by upnorth, the second by picmixer, the third by lyx. Then.....

WRONG WAY:
%artist% for all 3 tracks = foo-bar collective
%title% of Track1 = upnorth - bleh
%title% of Track2 = picmixer - blah
%title% of Track3 = lyx - blub

RIGHT WAY:
%album artist% of all tracks = foo-bar collective
%artist% of Track1 = upnorth
%title% of Track1 = bleh
%artist% of Track2 = picmixer
%title% of Track2 = blah
%artist% of Track3 = lyx
%title% of Track3 = blub

If the overall artist of a VA-Album does not have a clear name (like for example with compilations) then you can just do %album artist% = Various Artists

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273737"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yupi  Big thx Now it's so simply
I use all time the second scheme  so everything is right exept that i dont have %album artist% in my various album
But i have one question a think i know the answer  but must be sure my new value will called album artist and i dont
use " " am i right ??

%album Artist%

Reply #12
But purists would probably say:
ARTIST = Beyoncé
ARTIST = Jay-Z
TITLE = Crazy in Love
(two artist-fields in one track)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273773"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That would be another option. In the end it's a matter of taste and the kind of collaboration between the artists.
E.g. if Beyoncé worked with a different artist on each of the album's tracks I'd probably use the ALBUM ARTIST solution.

Note: TRACK ARTIST as a fieldname is braindead, since it's exactly the same as ARTIST.

%album Artist%

Reply #13
Among the following solutions, which one would you prefer?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273768"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I prefer this one:
ARTIST = Beyoncé
TITLE = Crazy in Love (feat. Jay-Z)[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273768"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
as it makes it easy to sort by artist (e.g. in playlist and album list). I would never use %album artist% for this kind of album, as IMHO it's a Beyoncé album, and not any kind of compilation.

I also like to make text in parenthesis appear in a darker color, to make it easier to read the actual titles. Info like "feat" isn't crucial IMHO, and in fact this kind of coloring is one of the features I love about fb2k.

%album Artist%

Reply #14
Among the following solutions, which one would you prefer?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273768"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I prefer this one:
ARTIST = Beyoncé
TITLE = Crazy in Love (feat. Jay-Z)[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273768"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
as it makes it easy to sort by artist (e.g. in playlist and album list).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273785"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

One could also easily sort by artist, if its:

That way, you could even automatically secondary sort by the people with whom beyonce did colaborate. And when doing a database search - asuming you use "artist HAS" and not "artist IS"..... you can also find this track when searching for jay-z.

So, from a database point of view, having both in the artist-field makes more sense.

- Lyx

%album Artist%

Reply #15
ajax: the name of the field is just ALBUM ARTIST (including the space). And the tag should only be created when an album has multiple artists.

%album Artist%

Reply #16
ajax: the name of the field is just ALBUM ARTIST (including the space). And the tag should only be created when an album has multiple artists.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273787"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

one more time thx alot  works perfect for me now

%album Artist%

Reply #17
A release such as "House Dj Mix Vol. 1 by Antoine Clamaran" with a track listing like:

04.Simon - Free at Last 
05.Samy K - the Prayer
06.Celeda - the Underground
07.Thick Dick - Welcome 2 the Jungle

may be a better example. Based on the recent posts about ALBUM ARTIST, i would tag this as

ALBUM ARTIST = Antoine Clamaran
TRACK = Free at Last
ARTIST = Simon

TRACK = the Prayer
ARTIST = Samy K

This keeps the appropriate formatting with different coloring in the playlist for artist/title, but still keeps the whole album tagged as Antoine Claraman. Before I would include Antione's name in the album title....

I'm liking this........

%album Artist%

Reply #18
I have new question  when i create field called album artist in which tag is it write ?? i know that it  dependence from file type i use. In foobar i make that for mp3 it write to id3v2 and in foobar i see this filed but if i use another tagger for example Tag&Rename it doesnt show any new filed. So where is this new filed write??

%album Artist%

Reply #19
If you use id3v2 instead of apev2, then it will be written as an id3v2 tag - otherwise apev2.

- Lyx

edit: the tag-writing may be deferred for whatever reason - try rightclicking and then "rewrite tags from database".

%album Artist%

Reply #20
If you use id3v2 instead of apev2, then it will be written as an id3v2 tag - otherwise apev2.

- Lyx

edit: the tag-writing may be deferred for whatever reason - try rightclicking and then "rewrite tags from database".
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273800"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ok i understand this  i have select id3v2 so it will be write as an id3v2 but why other taggers doesnt see this value ?? is this becasue it is no basic filed or what??

edit
foobar see new field

%album Artist%

Reply #21
This keeps the appropriate formatting with different coloring in the playlist for artist/title, but still keeps the whole album tagged as Antoine Claraman. Before I would include Antione's name in the album title....

I'm liking this........
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273794"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

With a formatting-string or FCS which supports %album artist% in albummode it looks even more cool ;-)

- Lyx

%album Artist%

Reply #22
I prefer this one:
ARTIST = Beyoncé
as it makes it easy to sort by artist (e.g. in playlist and album list).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273785"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
One could also easily sort by artist, if its:

That way, you could even automatically secondary sort by the people with whom beyonce did colaborate. And when doing a database search - asuming you use "artist HAS" and not "artist IS"..... you can also find this track when searching for jay-z.

So, from a database point of view, having both in the artist-field makes more sense.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273786"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I should have been more specific. I usually sort by more than a plain %artist% tag, as I group by artist and album and such. Hence putting more info into the %artist% tags makes it a mess. I also usually have some sort of artist branching in the album list, so that wouldn't work either.
The db search part is a good point, but that's something I personally, rarely need, and most of the time it would be enough to also search %title% (as long as the name of the artist isn't a common word).
The only thing I can say, is that my way works very well for my usage and way of thinking. In the end it doesn't really matter what you use, as long as you're comfortable with it, and don't experience any problems.

%album Artist%

Reply #23
With a formatting-string or FCS which supports %album artist% in albummode it looks even more cool ;-)[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273810"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

AFAIK the default formatting string of the default ui supports %album artist% already.

%album Artist%

Reply #24
Hmm, tracks by multiple artists are tricky....

To me, it seems there are 3 candidates which make sense:

1. Two or more artist-fields
Thats the anal-correct way to do it, but some other apps may not support it properly, and additionally it just "feels weird" to what most people are used, so adoption may be difficult

2. all track-artists into a single artist-field (like what dev0 and i proposed)
Feels someway correct because the artists are where they belong. Its DB-friendly. But as upnorth pointed out, it can result in strange things when looking at the DB in a tree-view and it doesn't look good in albumviews with albums which are not V.A.

3. main track-artist into the artist field, secondary artist (feat. blah) into the title-field
Very DB-unfriendly but look okay in a tree view.

Recommending all three methods would be a bit like beating the purpose of a guideline. 2 may be okay, but which of those three to drop then? Overally, it seems to me that dropping 1. would make sense - but then we would drop the "unpopular but correct method".

- Lyx