Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: List of recommended LAME settings (Read 648570 times) previous topic - next topic

List of recommended LAME settings

The actual list can be found here:

This thread is for discussion about the list.

Reply #2
Added 128 CBR settings.
It would be useful, if somebody would give recommandations which one should be preferred with actual Lame. Perhaps somebody may post an order of quality of that 128 CBR settings.
If decisions are not clear until now, then there is no need to post an order.

Reply #3
man! what a great idea!  this would help out soooo many people, including me to some degree.

just make sure the title of the thread has the date it was last modified... like (last updated ?/?/??)... and a reply to it as to what was changed, so we can keep up with the changes.

also, make sure you include command lines for streaming audio for 56k's, 28.8's, etc.

once again... great idea.

Reply #4
Hi,

thanks.
Added current date at top.
If somebody knows settings for streaming audio, eg. 56k's, 28.8's, etc, you may post, please.
Other settings, too.
There are at the moment so many 128 CBR settings above.
Can some of the experts tell us, which one or two are the actual ? Then me or a moderator could edit that line in the first post.

Reply #5
Ugh so many users.

Reply #6
Hi,
not really !
As you see, i have written who has posted, eg. Wombat, SNYder !

It's just, because I started that thread at r3mix, but I think it's useful anywhere. Let's see, how threads are developing. Since now, I do not copy the posts. I did it just to show the start of this thread and how it works. Eg. Wombat told a bookmark to a thread where 128 CBR settings have been discussed. So me or a moderator adds at first post the useful settings and so on.

Reply #7
Ummm user, i don't think this reposting is the way to do it... :eyebrow:

Just update your original post and keep it up-to-date, but this "mirroring" of the whole r3mix.net discussion... i don't know. It would be better if you just quoted the other guys and said "setting xy changed, suggested by xy, see thread xy" or the like. It's just a suggestion... but think it through

Reply #8
Yes, this is a good idea. I have been planning on writing an article about the presets / good settings, but I am now waiting for the Dibber's new stuff.

Reply #9
Hi,
done.
Please somebody should read over the settings, if they are allright and the best ones available with current Lame 3.90 alpha 8.

What's the matter with some short forms, like --preset-dm metal ?
If some of the settings in first post could be (partially) replaced by short forms, then post them please.
For EAC eg. it is very useful not to have long command lines.

As you see, after a short time we all have collected a lot useful stuff.

Reply #10
Hi user, good work.

I corrected a few things, i hope you're not mad. Keep collecting those settings.

Reply #11
Originally posted by user
160 kbits CBR
-b 160 -m j --nspsytune --lowpass 16 -q 0
suggested by kjempen

As I understand correctly, -q 0 is not such a good idea in combination with --nspsytune . Better leave -q0 out (or replace it by -h == -q 2 which is already default with --nspsytune as is -mj).

Looking at the 128 kbs suggestions, maybe add --ns-bass -4 (or -8) here too. Comments anyone?

So what about this:
-b 160 --nspsytune --lowpass 16 --ns-bass -8 (or -4)

GeSomeone.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #12
user, you may replace your post with this if you like it: modified posting (code).

Credits go to SNYder over at r3mix.net.

Reply #13
Edited original post.

It's a heavily edited version of user's original post, modified by SNYder from r3mix.net, tweaked some more by me.

It should be much more clearly arranged now.

Reply #14
Hmm,

I'd like someone to try "--nsmsfix 1.2" with the 192-CBR commandline.  I think a full joint-stereo setting at that bitrate may allow m/s artifacts.  The nsmsfix setting may help reduce some m/s artifacts by allowing more L/R frames.  Try it and see.  Either that, or I'd recommend --nssafejoint at 192-CBR.  I suppose it comes down to a quality vs artifact preference.  Both give benefits and drawbacks at that strict setting.  I believe it's this point where the --nsmsfix setting can help improve things if set properly. 

mp3

Reply #15
Made some changes to the alternative 128 CBR / ABR settings (suggested by Wombat).

Reply #16
Added new 320 CBR setting, suggested by Dibrom:

--nspsytune -b320 -h -mj --nssafejoint --lowpass 20 --athtype 2 -X3

This will be the upcoming new "--dm-preset insane" and provides higher quality than the other CBR 320 setting from the list.

Reply #17
Made some more layout changes.

Also: removed --dm-preset metal: will not be supported in future LAME versions / some changes on the 320 and the 256 kbit CBR settings / added --dm-preset standard as "high quality +".

Reply #18
From the r3mix.net board:

> Should the very high quality be:
> --dm-preset xtreme -X3
> which equals:
> --dm-preset standard --athtype 2 -X3

Hmmm.. i was a bit reluctant to add this.. but you're right, it's even higher quality, due to the lower ATH curve. In fact, "--dm-preset standard --athtype 2 -X3" will become the new "--dm-preset xtreme" when Dibrom finished his modifications. Also, this list will be modified when he incorporates those changes.

I will have to add this as "Very High Quality +" for now... people seem to be disinclined to use such a setting, but for completeness's sake, i'll add it.

Reply #19
to
How to avoid clipping with mp3gain ?
How to burn Mp3 CD

Reply #21
following:
mp3utility
razorlame
renatager

Reply #22
Some changes to the 128 kbit ABR lines, suggested by ff123: "--scale 0.93" added, --ns-bass -4 changed to --ns-bass -6 on the second line.

See http://ff123.net/cbr128.html

Reply #23
Question,

Why not advise people to use normalization at 93%-98% (with EAC) instead of the "--scale" command?  Won't the "--scale" option degrade sound quality more than a normalization pass?

mp3

Reply #24
No.  This has been explained before, but basically using --scale in LAME is much more accurate than normalizing with a program like EAC.  Theoretical possible loss in quality would also be present on a normalized file.  Athadjust attempts to compensate for most of this but apparently it is not always entirely effective.  All of this --scale stuff only really seems to be a problem with vbr anyway, since depending on masking calculations and such (which volume can affect), it will use different bitrates... cbr and abr will use the same no matter what.