Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Apple to release updated iTunes for Mac & Windows (Read 34401 times) previous topic - next topic

Apple to release updated iTunes for Mac & Windows

Reply #100
iTunes helper.ex 5.6MB     (always loaded)
iPodService.exe  3.896MB (always loaded)
iTunes               29.46MB (minimum seen so far)

.... and I cannot figure out how to turn off the helper and iPodService executables.

You can turn off unwanted executables using Xteq Systems X-Setup (there are also other programs which access this functionality, but X-Setup has other features you will probably find useful). After installing and launching the main interface, you will see a tree menu in the left-hand pane. Simply go to "Startup/Shutdown" > "Startup" > "Windows (your OS version)" > "xx) Autorun - Part 1 (or 2)" and search for the offending program in the "Autorun Programs" menu. From there, it can be disabled and/or removed, as desired.

- M.

Reply #101
or just click start->run and enter: msconfig - then press <enter>
then go to the startup pane, and select from there.. no need for 3rd party apps for this.
myspace.com/borgei - last.fm/user/borgei

Reply #102
or just click start->run and enter: msconfig - then press <enter>
then go to the startup pane, and select from there.. no need for 3rd party apps for this.

Silly me... I've been using X-Setup so long that I forgot the direct approach! 

- M.

Reply #103
In my experience not all versions of Windows come with the System Configuration Utility...X-Setup is still needed sometimes.
Happiness - The agreeable sensation of contemplating the misery of others.

Reply #104
Edit: Oh yeah, for the Mac users, it seems there's a newer Ogg Vorbis QT component available here.

you can also encode .ogg files with this one (given you have Q.T. Pro  B) )
the earth is flat and the bottom is a place we call hell...

Reply #105
Beware for those that want to try iTunes.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?128...iLQ.6@.599acfc2

That's the point. iTunes is not just a player. It will organize your music for you. And it can do a better job then you can do yourself if you let it.

Trust me on this.

All your music are belong to iTunes.....     

Reply #106

That's the point. iTunes is not just a player. It will organize your music for you. And it can do a better job then you can do yourself if you let it.

Trust me on this.

All your music are belong to iTunes.....     

I was suspecting that.  Luckily I haven't installed it yet, out of fear of it doing that very thing to my music files.  (Though I don't know if it would mess with *.ogg files the same way.)  I had the same problem with WiMP9 when I had MP3's, and of course I loaded my library before I knew how to turn off the feature that moves files.

I guess iTunesSetup.exe will be quarantined in my downloads folder for a while. 

Reply #107

Trust me on this.

I was suspecting that.  Luckily I haven't installed it yet, out of fear of it doing that very thing to my music files.  (Though I don't know if it would mess with *.ogg files the same way.)  I had the same problem with WiMP9 when I had MP3's, and of course I loaded my library before I knew how to turn off the feature that moves files.

I guess iTunesSetup.exe will be quarantined in my downloads folder for a while.  <_<

iTunes 4.1.1 is now out, and solves a few issues.

As Apple's iTunes 4.1.1 Knowledge Base article mentions, "the "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" preference is now turned off by default". Perhaps you could download that version if you're really worried.

Tthis whole issue has been overrated; iTunes only manipulates the files stored its music folder, which is by default "iTunes Music" in the "My Music" folder. The only way this can be changed is via the advanced preferences tab, and the "Keep iTunes Music Folder organised" checkbox is directly below it.

Anyone who has had troubles simply wasn't paying attention to the options they were setting.
It's what's not there that makes what's there what it is.

Reply #108
I worked out how to get OGG support in iTunes for Windows.

1. Go to http://qtcomponents.sourceforge.net/ and download the Ogg Vorbis Codec (1.0d6 is the latest up there currently)

2. Unzip the file and extract the oggvorbis.qtx file.

3. Put it in c:\windows\system32\quicktime.

Done and done. Oggs will now play in Quicktime, and iTunes is capable of importing them and reading their tags, to some degree.

Downside: It's slow. REAL, REAL, REAL slow. It takes forever for iTunes to add the file to the library and about the same to start playing it. But it does work.

The real benefit of this, as I see it, is that once it's in your library, the "Convert this file to AAC" works. Works great, in fact. I was able to convert quite a few files just fine. It does have a bit of a delay before it seems to work as the codec is hardly optimal, sort of thing.

Of course, this conversion is a transcoding method, so you may lose some quality by doing this, but if you have an iPod, you'll be able to convert the oggs to AAC and thus play them on the iPod.

Reply #109
[edit - 4.1.1 update/fix already reported above]

Reply #110
Now i've just figured out why every Mac-user/lover/evangelist praises iTunes like it's something magical. They simply don't have a choice on what players to use like us PC users. Before iTunes, what did they have? nothing? or something like the old MP3Play ? No wonder they love iTunes then!

I HATE people trying to convert me from this to that. Damn fanatics!!

Dude, there are a lot of audio players on the Mac side (MacAmp, MacAmpLite, MacAmpLite X, Mint Audio, Audion, Whamb, SoundJam - bought by Apple -, Xmms, and so on.)

You hate fanatics, that's good, no one love them, but what i really hate is extremists...