Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Plugging 2 sound sources to 1 aux input (Read 3352 times) previous topic - next topic

Plugging 2 sound sources to 1 aux input

I recently bought a Yamaha DD-55 digital drum (one URL for reference: http://www.andysmusiconline.com/yamaha_dd55_drum.asp )
and now I would like to be able to plug it to my stereo system at the same time as my, for example, iRiver iMP-150 or my computer, to drum along with my favourite songs...

I tried plugging both my computer and the Yamaha DD-55 to the stereo using a Y-cable, but the sound of the music coming out of the computer lost a lot of quality, a LOT. So, fearing I might break something, I unplugged everything right away.

Doing this would also be useful for plugging headphones to the stereo and be able to drum without getting kicked out of my flat by my landlord...

So... since this is the first time I need to plug two sources to an input, I had never run into this problem... Any ideas?

I had thought about buying a mixer, but maybe there is a cheaper idea...

Edit: "to" -> "two"... oops...

Reply #1
uhmm, well, plug the drums into your computer card and then computer out to your hi-fi aux. (you will have to use the computer for the music playback/mix of course, some free apps that will allow 'over-recording' include audacity )
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #2
I was planning to try that. Thought about it after posting (doesn't that always happen?  )...

My only concern about it is if there will be some extra latency inserted, and if it will be noticeable. There must already be some latency between the moment I strike one of the pads, and the moment the sound reaches the speakers and my ears... (the thingie must look for the sample, decide how loud to play it, and then play it...) It is currently not noticeable, but I wonder if putting in that extra step (the computer) will increase the latency to a maybe somewhat subconsciously perceivable level...

Or maybe I'm just being over-anal...

I will try, and probably it will be perfectly fine. And I'll let you know.

Thanks for the reply anyway!

Reply #3
My only concern about it is if there will be some extra latency inserted, and if it will be noticeable. There must already be some latency between the moment I strike one of the pads, and the moment the sound reaches the speakers and my ears... (the thingie must look for the sample, decide how loud to play it, and then play it...) It is currently not noticeable, but I wonder if putting in that extra step (the computer) will increase the latency to a maybe somewhat subconsciously perceivable level...

There shouldn't be any added latency if you simply use the line-in and un-mute it in the Windows mixer.  Now if you try to record from the line-in and then play it back, then you'll probably have latency problems unless you have a really nice soundcard and the right programs.