Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: This is a High Resolution Listening test (Read 8857 times) previous topic - next topic

This is a High Resolution Listening test

This is a high resolution listening test.

Simply play the file and count the number of times you hear: "This is a High Resolution Listening test". Please report the number. No mysteries, no double blind, no guessing. Takes about a minute. Only two simple requests: (1) Set your volume as you are accustomed to listen, and don't touch the volume control while you play the file.

The more times you hear the phase the higher resolution and better ears it takes to pull that off.

The 24/96 FLAC file is too large (44 MB) for posting on this forum, but you can download it here:

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/high%20resolution%20listening%20test%20audacity%20HD.flac?token=AWzKGdkJR4_ddmmAaHV8ZdEXlBFlrCDyJ7jer2v9pOJqV2VHI556PeIPKOYaexq_SbAS6z5ndXzHPRzmA-baup4WaRBOGP_qE9a1twNvDcbtRstNoEMDBCm0QtLyaYb9as18-NjIXBZO7QBbbYpSYqlezFsKiSSML2VxCKYRcSvLuvto9QEoxFdOyvZabF6vXfytFmIHPUVRlvxrS5NjE4a9

Re: This is a High Resolution Listening test

Reply #1
7x

Reply #2
Six.  I hear some mumbling on the seventh time, but wouldn't have known what it was on its own.

P.S.  Is the speaker drunk, or is my DSP messed up?

Reply #4
The 8th pass is only silent something. The 7th one is already hard to understand on its own i guess when not listened as the same as before in a row.
Why this is a high resolution listening test i don't get yet. Maybe bit depth?
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #5
Six.  I hear some mumbling on the seventh time, but wouldn't have known what it was on its own.

P.S.  Is the speaker drunk, or is my DSP messed up?

Neither, but this was before his first cup of coffee. :-)

Reply #6
6x (not sure/almost 7x) with studio speakers
7x (not sure/almost 8x) with open over-ear headphones
8x with in-ear phones.

P.S. All tests were done at my usual loudness.

Reply #7
Yep, 8.

Reply #8
:(

Reply #9
9. The ninth time is unintelligible but certainly I hear something (if that counts).  Speakers, quite room. ~75dB-C

My main output is resampled at 44.1kHz for DSP purposes.

Reply #10
7 x
I hear some mumblings for the 8th time but cannot realistically distinguish the full phrase.

Reply #11
The more times you hear the phase the higher resolution and better ears it takes to pull that off.

Numerically, take the count of number of times you hear the phrase, subtract two (2), and multiply by ten (10) That is your estimated dynmaic range in dB.

For example if I do the test I get 9.  So I take 9 subtract 2 leaving 7. Multiply 7 by 10 obtaining 70. That is the dynamic range that I am hearing: 70 dB.

90 dB or 11 samples is the equivalent of CD quality. If you run all samples that is 14, which corresponds to 120 dB or about 20 bits. The sample has a crest factor of about 18 dB which is typical of pretty dynamic music.

Highly compressed rock might be 10 dB easier to hear than my vocal sample.

IOW if the sample were highly compressed rock, you'd probably get one more sample right.

Reply #12
7x
I can still hear it very faintly at the 8th time

Reply #13
I can't really make out the 7th, and 8th is too faint to really make over the background noise of my room.

Headphones, usual volume level. I usually keep the player 50% volume, though, which would have made it even harder to hear the 7th.

Hey, no wonder I can't really tell the difference between PCM and ADPCM style lossy in most cases.

Reply #14
My volume is set so that heavily compressed rock is comfortably loud, if I raise for classical music I can hear some words of 8.

Reply #15
At the volume I normally listen to, and the noise of my PC a few feet away, with volume set roughly where it would be listening to a podcast:

Speakers (Polk Hampden): first 4 can still make out the words, on the 5th I only hear what I can already expect would be the noise of the sentence but can't make out the words.

Headphones (Sennheiser HD-25-II): first 5 can make out the words, very faintly can hear 6.

I normally listen to music at a different volume level however so was curious what the results would be after applying ReplayGain to the track and leaving the volume level at what I'd listen to music at.

Speakers: first 4, 5th only like a couple words. 5th in this case was oddly (marginally) clearer than the headphone result below despite the ambient noise.

Headphones: first 4, 5th only like a couple words.

Edit:

The 24/96 FLAC file is too large (44 MB) for posting on this forum, but you can download it here:

It's 4.84MB when I downloaded it, was it the correct file?

Reply #16

Numerically, take the count of number of times you hear the phrase, subtract two (2), and multiply by ten (10) That is your estimated dynmaic range in dB.

For example if I do the test I get 9.  So I take 9 subtract 2 leaving 7. Multiply 7 by 10 obtaining 70. That is the dynamic range that I am hearing: 70 dB.

90 dB or 11 samples is the equivalent of CD quality. If you run all samples that is 14, which corresponds to 120 dB or about 20 bits. The sample has a crest factor of about 18 dB which is typical of pretty dynamic music.

Highly compressed rock might be 10 dB easier to hear than my vocal sample.

IOW if the sample were highly compressed rock, you'd probably get one more sample right.

Anecdotal, but...

This agrees completely with my measurements of my current noise floor.  Also, seems to show that 24bit is TOTAL overkill for playback since there's no why in hell I would hear to sample number 11.

Reply #17

It's 4.84MB when I downloaded it, was it the correct file?

Yes. the 45 megabyte number is in error. Thank you for your attention to detail. I was reading the wrong column and/or rwo in the file list on my computer.  The wave file version is 45 MB. Being highly redundant, it compresses splendidly!

Reply #18

What if someone only hears 2, or even worse 1. Is there a negative dynamic range? ;)

Reply #19

What if someone only hears 2, or even worse 1. Is there a negative dynamic range? ;)

One principle of designing tests is making them self-checking. Certain answers can be safely interpreted as: "Throw away this trial".

Reply #20
8. There is quite a bit of music I play slightly louder, I tried that too. Then the first two are slightly uncomfortably loud, but I mostly hear the sibilants at the ninth.

Afterwards I came to think that I usually play back with RG as scanned by fb2k, but that reports an RG figure of -0.71. Shouldn't matter.

Reply #21
I cannot download this. It tells me to login to facebook (which I will never do.)

Can't you just attach the file, since others said it's just 4.5MB?

Reply #22
I cannot download this. It tells me to login to facebook (which I will never do.)

Can't you just attach the file, since others said it's just 4.5MB?

I uploaded  test file to a more neutral location:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n50g7b6hs14x8dj/high%20resolution%20listening%20test%20audacity%20HD.flac?dl=0

It is also an attachment to this post.

Reply #23
8x.

The 9x time is almost completely unintelligble yet I can hear that something is happening so I'm not counting it. Tested with headphones.
marlene-d.blogspot.com

Reply #24
8. There is quite a bit of music I play slightly louder, I tried that too. Then the first two are slightly uncomfortably loud, but I mostly hear the sibilants at the ninth.

Afterwards I came to think that I usually play back with RG as scanned by fb2k, but that reports an RG figure of -0.71. Shouldn't matter.
The same for me if the sound is loud, turning my chair into vibrator, but there is still some power reserve for half of the tracks.
Minus one (total 7) if I set music loudness to background (still quite loud) level.
If I listen to music at night mode (with EBU R128 Compressor DSP enabled), then again 8. ;-)