Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Flac files corrupted (Read 3896 times) previous topic - next topic

Flac files corrupted

Last year while putting in a new power supply on my HTPC I broke the SATA pins off my hard drive. So this year I decided to buy a same model 300gb seagate hard drive switch the boards and hope for the best. Well the first time I tried it with the new circuit board the drive made clicking noises and pulled the plug as fast as I could. Which I later found out was because I didn't get the pins perfectly aligned. Because I put the circuit board back on the new hard drive and got the same noises! So I carefully put it back on the broken hard drive and it seems to work. The problem is I'm finding a few dozen or so flac files that won't play in foobar and dbpoweramp won't convert. Is there anything I can do? I haven't scanned for bad sectors just regular scandisk would that make any difference? Since this was a whole year ago I can't even remember if some of the files were ones I was in the middle of downloading (I might have not had add extension to incomplete files option on). Is there a way to tell? Right now I'm "calculating crc" on all the flac files on the drive with dbpoweramp. Can I be fairly certain this will find all the files that are corrupt? And then if I can't find a new source for the files can I somehow make them playable? even if that means clicks?

my 5000 flac files on a secondary 270gb partition in NTFS in XP, if it makes a difference

This is my thinking and I could be totally wrong....so if I have 4kb block sizes If I have caused bad sectors on my drive that whole block is unreadable correct? which is probably always enough to break the flac file right?

I also suppose I'm playing with danger probably even using this drive but I don't know that I will have the money to buy another hard drive right away. I already copied over as much as I could fit on my other drives.

Flac files corrupted

Reply #1
AFAIK unless you fiddled with the formatting settings, NTFS should have taken care of the block size question for you.

In my experience, though, Seagate internal drives are significantly less than forgiving. I had a 320GB mode (IDE, though) that NEVER worked right. I eventually transferred all the data off it and donated it to the friend who helped me with that task as payment.
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

Flac files corrupted

Reply #2
If you have the option to show corrupt flac files as an error (the default) dbpoweramp can detect corrupted flac files (do a conversion to 'Test Conversion') as it will compare at the end against an md5 in the flac.

Flac files corrupted

Reply #3
I have built PCs for myself and others for years. Seagate and Western Digital drives have been very reliable for me and my customers.
You should never swap a controller on a drive with anything but the identical model drive. Even then it is a bit risky, they may have changed minor things within a batch.

You can select Start -- Run -- cmd -- enter
Type in you drive letter ( ie c:(enter) or e:(enter)  )
Then type in 'chkdsk /f(enter)'
It will check your drive and try to repair problems.

Flac files corrupted

Reply #4
I have built PCs for myself and others for years. Seagate and Western Digital drives have been very reliable for me and my customers.
You should never swap a controller on a drive with anything but the identical model drive. Even then it is a bit risky, they may have changed minor things within a batch.

You can select Start -- Run -- cmd -- enter
Type in you drive letter ( ie c:(enter) or e:(enter)  )
Then type in 'chkdsk /f(enter)'
It will check your drive and try to repair problems.

Be careful with chkdsk /f. Many times it just gathers up lost clusters and creates garbage files.