Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Really hard crash when streaming with foobar (Read 3118 times) previous topic - next topic

Really hard crash when streaming with foobar

Somethimes i get really hard lockup when i streaming DI, i wonder what causes that and today i notice it was foobar, lockup is so hard even mouse is hard to move.

foobar version is 0.8.3
Winxp SP2

Anyone have lockups too?

Reply #1
Somethimes i get really hard lockup when i streaming DI, i wonder what causes that and today i notice it was foobar, lockup is so hard even mouse is hard to move.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=268918"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've also experienced a few lockups when listening to Digitally Imported MP3 streams, but they seem to have disappeared recently. Not sure why, perhaps some configuration change - I have fiddled around with foobar2000 quite a bit.
However, you should reduce the playback thread priority under 'Playback' from preferences, so whenever it locks up it won't take the whole machine with it.
The biggest problem with this lockup is the fact that the playback thread priority is rather high by default and since it starts consuming 100% CPU it pretty much disables the computer, or makes it unbearably laggy at best.
Why don't we all act silly for a while, just like me?

Reply #2
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=268918"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've also experienced a few lockups when listening to Digitally Imported MP3 streams, but they seem to have disappeared recently. Not sure why, perhaps some configuration change - I have fiddled around with foobar2000 quite a bit.
However, you should reduce the playback thread priority under 'Playback' from preferences, so whenever it locks up it won't take the whole machine with it.
The biggest problem with this lockup is the fact that the playback thread priority is rather high by default and since it starts consuming 100% CPU it pretty much disables the computer, or makes it unbearably laggy at best.

Sorry, little unclear explanation.

My foobar locks almost winxp and hardly i get it terminated.

Reply #3
Sorry, little unclear explanation.
My foobar locks almost winxp and hardly i get it terminated.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=268927"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, the symptoms are the same so far.
What exactly didn't you understand?
Why don't we all act silly for a while, just like me?

Reply #4
Well, the symptoms are the same so far.
What exactly didn't you understand?

Now i read it and understand it =D

i lowered priority, if that helps THANKS!!!

Reply #5
I've got the exact same issue listening to ETN.FM (and assumedly other streams). Foobar processor usage will use up all available CPU, slowing the system to a halt. The mouse cursor lags behind, windows take an eternity to be rebuilt, foobar itself included. Sometimes I'm able to open up the task manager and terminate foobar, most of the time I have to do a hard reset.
There is no obvious cause for the behaviour, it happens randomly mid-stream. It's also fairly rare, it's hard to give an average since it varies wildly, but certainly not more than every couple of hours. It's still quite annoying, I guess I'll switch players for streaming if it continues to be a problem.

I upgraded to foobar v0.8.3 (from another 0.8.x) without alleviating the issue. I've removed all third-party components apart from the freedb one. Input is a 192kbit MP3 stream (ie HTTP reader, standard settings), output DirectSound 2.0 (300ms buffer) on an Audigy 2. I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2, DirectX 9.

I'll set the priority to idle (was: normal) now, which might fix the issue, but which I guess will also result in skipping when playing a game at the same time.  If it doesn't help, I've set it to write a log now, never thought of that before, maybe it'll help diagnose the issue.

Reply #6
It just happened again.  Had to set it back to normal priority, using DirectSound (v1).

The log isn't helpful at all, I'm afraid, the last lines read:
Code: [Select]
INFO (foo_output_std) : attempting to create DirectSound buffer : 44100Hz 24bps 4ch fixed-point
INFO (foo_output_std) : DirectSound initialized successfully, using hardware mixing
WARNING (foo_input_std) : mpeg stream error at 16890328 bytes, attempting resync
INFO (foo_input_std) : mpeg stream resync successful
But judging by the modification date, the last line was a quarter hour or so before the lock up. There's no way to enable time stamps in the log, is there?