Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: unrecoverable playback error: Unknown error code (0x8888001) (Read 1115 times) previous topic - next topic

unrecoverable playback error: Unknown error code (0x8888001)

Has anyone else ever seen this message?  I have a new installation of V1.4.8 on a HP laptop, 64 bit, Windows 10 Pro, and have not been able to play anything.

Thanks.

Re: unrecoverable playback error: Unknown error code (0x8888001)

Reply #1
Hi there,

Firstly try a Windows restart and see if that fixes it.

Otherwise you could try the advice in this thread. That is, check that the sound card output is set correctly in Windows sound device properties. (Start > Settings cog > System > Sound > Output device properties > Additional device properties > Advanced tab > set Default Format to the minimum)

Set foobar to the same Output device, or 'DS: Primary Sound Driver'. (Preferences > Playback > Output > Device)

Cheers

Re: unrecoverable playback error: Unknown error code (0x8888001)

Reply #2
anamorphic,
Thank you very much.   Your suggestions have worked for me.   Now, I can finally use the program.