Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AAC@128kbps listening test - CLOSED (Read 63948 times) previous topic - next topic

AAC@128kbps listening test - CLOSED

Reply #50
damnit, where are my mod points when i need them...

Reply #52
I love Hydrogen Audio!

Had to say it. Probably the closest to "troll-free" environment in the net.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #53
I'd like to thank whoever posted about the test on slashdot.

On behalf of Dibrom, or the community?

Slashdottings are not fun.   

Well, we might get a whole lot of new support now at this board, lol.  This is some BIG exposure.
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

Reply #54
Oh well, what does one expect? Slashdot is/was never really well known for the depth of their comments... Too many uninformed people making too many dumb comments.

Reply #55
I just posted an announcement to the Usenet audio groups:

rec.audio.high-end
rec.audio.opinion
uk.rec.audio
rec.audio.pro
rec.audio.misc
rec.audio.pro

Hopefully, this will net a few more participants.

ff123

Reply #56
i tried to make the test but uhh my ears seem to be too bad (or untrained), i cant really hear many differences 
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

Reply #57
Thanks a lot, ff123.

Jamie Benchimol will come after you. 

@bond: all results are welcome.

Reply #58
BTW. It was me (with a little helo of Garf ) submitting it to slashdot. You should have told me about that special page before though, Rjamorim.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #59
BTW. It was me (with a little helo of Garf ) submitting it to slashdot. You should have told me about that special page before though, Rjamorim.

Ah, that's OK

Thanks a lot to both of you.

Reply #60
Is it me or did not many people actually click through to the test? (Or to HA in general)

Reply #61
Trying to do a serious test, calling people from /. isn't a good idea. Even though it is a blind test, those folks will likely introduce (intentionally) false results.

Reply #62
It's pretty tough to break the test to favor your favorite result. You'd actually need some knowledge about ABC/HR and MP4 and some time, and I assume most people that have it wont be retarded enough to try to fuck up the test.

Reply #63
Hmm, obviously not many did. Disappointing... I expected more even if it is slashdot.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #64
and I assume most people that have it wont be retarded enough to try to fuck up the test.

There are a small percentage of smart people at Slashdot, no doubt, but the majority there gives me a freakin' headache, so I have a rather uncomfortable feeling having them to evaluate something.

Reply #65
There are a small percentage of smart people at Slashdot, no doubt, but the majority there gives me a freakin' headache, so I have a rather uncomfortable feeling having them to evaluate something.

The test is designed to be solid against false positives and negatives by both smart and less smart people. Don't worry

Reply #66
Is it me or did not many people actually click through to the test? (Or to HA in general)

I switched on Slashdot this morning and saw the headline, and had visions of my hosting service having a melted machine on their hands (audio.ciara.us is mine).  But there was very little extra traffic.  Now all I have to do is wait for my pulse to drop to normal again!

Cheers, Paul

Reply #67

I switched on Slashdot this morning and saw the headline, and had visions of my hosting service having a melted machine on their hands (audio.ciara.us is mine).  But there was very little extra traffic.  Now all I have to do is wait for my pulse to drop to normal again!

Cheers, Paul

I'd estimate about 500 Meg were uploaded from my PC overnight via BitTorrent, so people are getting the test files.

I haven't seen my Usenet posting yet; I'm wondering if it got nixed by some spam filter?

ff123

Reply #68

Score: -1, Troll

Reply #69
I'd estimate about 500 Meg were uploaded from my PC overnight via BitTorrent, so people are getting the test files.

I guessed that a lot of people would use BitTorrent, it being /.  And of course I'm the second mirror, which helps!

I'd guess maybe 100MB was grabbed from my site at the most.

Cheers, Paul

Reply #70

I'm not sure, but about 2 hours after the test had been announced on slashdot, I had five e-mails with results in my mailbox, from five different people.

They could have been slashdotters, but it could also have been a coincidence.

Reply #71
I guessed that a lot of people would use BitTorrent, it being /.  And of course I'm the second mirror, which helps!

I'd guess maybe 100MB was grabbed from my site at the most.

Cheers, Paul

Hello, Paul. Sorry for not informing you before.

Indeed, thankfully people are using bittorrent more, and besides I added another mirror to the test (thanks to Menno).

And, from your stats page, it seems to me that people consumed 1Gb+ of bandwidth. :B

Thanks a lot for your support.

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #72
Hello, Paul. Sorry for not informing you before.

And, from your stats page, it seems to me that people consumed 1Gb+ of bandwidth. :B
Regards;

Roberto.

For the test as a whole that's true, but over the last two days (i.e when the /. article has been up) they've only used about 10MB (now that I read it more closely!)

And no apology needed - the space and bandwidth is being put to good use!

Cheers, Paul
(edit - too much quoting!)

Reply #73
Hurray! Now i got things rolling. Just visited at ff123 artifact training page and after that artifacts just jumped in my ears...
It's hard to be a newbie.

Reply #74
My favorite:
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=67031&...ead&cid=6157145

"Whenever I rip a CD, I encode it into mathematically loseless MP3s" (emphasis his)

Hmm.

I saw that too. What is he referring to? The best guess I had was cracking MP3 encoders so that they went up to 1411k... 

I'll get these and try 'em out.