Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 24/96 lossless compression (Read 5178 times) previous topic - next topic

24/96 lossless compression

I was wondering if anyone has successfully compressed losslessy, 24 bit, 96 kHz stereo audio.  I have a project in mind utilizing 24/96, but was unsure as to whether there were any lossless codecs which efficiently compressed these files, or even supported 24/96 at all.

Thanks!

Reply #1
I know that FLAC, LPAC, WavPack, RKAU, and Monkey's Audio all support 24/96 lossless compression. You can find a comparison and links here:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/~w.speek/comparison.htm

Since I tested this I have read that the new OptimFROG also supports 24-bit data.

Reply #2
Thanks Bryant,

I feel like an idiot.  I was under the impression (don't know how) that MAC couldn't handle either 24 bit or 96 kHz.  When I tested FLAC, output wasn't matching input which lead me to this forum.  Just tested MAC, and it works brilliantly.  Given MAC is my preferred lossless codec anyways, I have found the solution to my problem. 

Reply #3
When I tested FLAC, output wasn't matching input which lead me to this forum.

Could you please report this in detail, as the FLAC developer also reads this forum. Other people may use FLAC to compress 24/96 and perhaps are not aware of possible bugs.

Reply #4
When I tested FLAC, output wasn't matching input which lead me to this forum.

FLAC is not a generic WAVE file compressor; it doesn't store anything but the audio data.  If you have other subchunks in there like 'list', 'cue ' or whatever then the decoded WAVE file will be different even though the audio is exactly the same.

Chances are good that you only care about the audio data anyway, in which case it's not a problem; the other subchunks are just wasting space.

Josh

Reply #5
Do they also support more than 2 audio channels?
(MA, FLAC, etc.)

Reply #6
Do they also support more than 2 audio channels?
(MA, FLAC, etc.)

FLAC yes, MA no.  I think FLAC and Shorten are the only lossless codecs that support more that 2 channels.

Josh