Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New Year's Resolutions (Read 3703 times) previous topic - next topic

New Year's Resolutions

Here's mine:

New Year's Resolutions

Reply #1
As I'm away from the lab for the holidays, my pitiful Latitude is running native 1368x768 with no dock and no external 1080p or 1440p screen to make life bearable.

I've stared into the abyss and it turns out to be rendered on a 768p Dell matte display with terrible off-angle contrast. It's hell I tell you.

New Year's Resolutions

Reply #2
My Asus U52F-BBL5 also has a 1366x768 screen, and when I got it new in 2010, I spent most of my computing time on it in the living room, instead of on my 1080p desktop in my bedroom. It took months for the newness of my first laptop to wear off. It wasn't even really more powerful than my existing desktop at the time.

Desktop was a Core 2 Duo E8500, laptop a Core i3 350M. So slower per thread, but it had hyperthreading on top of the dual core.

Now I've got this lovely iMac with its super screen, thanks to furious spending. And I got a 21.5" iMac for my dad for Christmas. I've since backed off on the spending, and have a nice amount saved up for whatever.

New Year's Resolutions

Reply #3
Pah! Children. I spent my Christmas vacation on my parents' old netbook at 1024x576 and damnit, I ENJOYED IT.

New Year's Resolutions

Reply #4
Ouch, 576 vertical pixels? Let us hope that you were not connected via dial-up through AOL.

You poor crazed unfortunate, you. I'd imagine your impressionable grey matter was bleached entirely white by the experience. Such low resolutions could drive a man mad, or spontaneously demyelinate ones' axons, causing all manner of peripheral neuropathy.  And now you are cursed to wander the desolate, blasted plains of the internet endlessly searching for a redemption which will never come, belligerently accosting high DPI users with wild tales of yore.

"You goddamn kids with your retina iPhones! I learned Basic on an Atari ST with a 12 inch monitor that displayed at 320x200 in 16 colors...and I liked it!"