Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Does PsytelDrop use MPEG-4 ACC & Low Complexity profile (Read 4445 times) previous topic - next topic

Does PsytelDrop use MPEG-4 ACC & Low Complexity profile

Hi,

I have been using the FAAC encoder for a while now, but people tell me Psytel is better, so I have decided to give it a try. What I want to know is whether the PsytelDrop GUI encodes using the Low Complexity AAC profile in its various VBR and CBR modes? I didn't see a choice, so I would like to make sure.

Also does it output a MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 AAC file by default? I would like to output a MPEG-4 Low Complexity AAC file.

Thanks

Reply #1
Originally posted by Decepticon

I have been using the FAAC encoder for a while now, but people tell me Psytel is better, so I have decided to give it a try. What I want to know is whether the PsytelDrop GUI encodes using the Low Complexity AAC profile in its various VBR and CBR modes? I didn't see a choice, so I would like to make sure.

Low Complexity is always the default with Psytel, because it's less buggy than Main, and already has hardware support. (Expanium). And there's not much quality difference to LTP.

Also does it output a MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 AAC file by default? I would like to output a MPEG-4 Low Complexity AAC file.

A Raw MPEG4 AAC LC file is identical to a RAW MPEG2 AAC LC file. The only difference between them would be 2 bits in the ADTS header. Nothing changes quality wise.

The MPEG version only changes when you select a MPEG4-only tool: PNS, LTP...

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #2
Originally posted by rjamorim
A Raw MPEG4 AAC LC file is identical to a RAW MPEG2 AAC LC file. The only difference between them would be 2 bits in the ADTS header. Nothing changes quality wise.

The MPEG version only changes when you select a MPEG4-only tool: PNS, LTP...

I want to output to MPEG-4 for compatibility with an MPEG-4 video file as opposed to any possible quality differences. Is there a safe way to force MPEG-4 output without using those MPEG-4 specific tools? From what I understand those tools (LTP and PNS) are not widely supported, so I am not sure if using those tools would produce an MPEG-4 AAC file that is incompatible with upcoming MPEG-4 video decoders. But maybe I understand the tools wrong...

Thanks

Reply #3
Just create a RAW AAC LC file.

It should be compatible with any MP4 video player. (Ivan can give you more info on this tough, he tested (nearly) all mp4 players out there)

And, since it's RAW, there's absolutely no difference it it's regarded as MPEG2 or MPEG4.

Anyway, I guess that, if you really want to force a MPEG4 AAC, you should ask Ivan. He has lots of hidden switches in AACenc (I.E: Switches not shown in the help screen). Who knows? Maybe there's something to force MPEG version...

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #4
Thanks for your help. I am interested in compatibility with the Xcard MPEG-4 PCI decoder card that will be coming out later this month:

Sigma Designs Xcard Specs

I am not sure if it will decode RAW AAC audio embedded in an MP4 file properly, so I would prefer encoding it flagged as MPEG-4 output since that is what they specify.

So, Ivan, any hidden switch I could use?

Thanks