Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Better to upsample with PPHS or SoX? (Read 4587 times) previous topic - next topic

Better to upsample with PPHS or SoX?

Hello Folks,

I installed the last version 0.8.0 of the SoX plungin and I am comparing it with the default PPHS.

I set both upsamplers at their respectively best possible sound quality (PPHS ULTRA, SoX 99% band and Linear Phase), and I noticed some small differences in sound at comparable upsampling rates (96 and 192 kHz), while the CPU usage is not an issue on my PC.

I read some threads that say the PPHS Ultra is theoretically superior to SoX "best settings", however I also read that others say SoX has a superior transient response than PPHS.

So, actually I am a bit confused and I need some help from better skilled people like you.

Can anybody refer me to deep technical papers/discussions describing in details the two technologies' fundament?

And, definitevely, regardless of CPU load and whatsoever not bother me at all (plenty of power and ram), wich is the best of the two?

Many thanks and kind regards,

Andrea.

Reply #1
http://src.infinitewave.ca/ Comparison up to 96khz
eac3to and iZotope 64bit come out REALLY well in this comparison.

Reply #2
Hi Sandrine, thanks for your prompt reply, but...

I am not familiar with this matter, but the link you gave me looks to refer to downsampling from 99 to 44.1 kHz, while my application is exactly the opposite: I am upsampling from 44.1 to 96 kHz.

Moreover, I can suppose that SoX plugin 0.8.0 shall be using the SoX 14.4 libraries, but I cannot find and "direct" mapping of the Foobar2000 PPHS embedded resampler to any of the listed pictures.

Am I missing something?

Regards, Andrea

Reply #3
You're right, it's about downsampling... obviously I didn't read carefully enough. Also, I don't see any benefit in upsampling, but let's not go there...

Reply #4
Why no ABX logs to prove OP hears a difference?

Reply #5
Hi Mudlord, how to do what you suggest?
I don't know how to switch on the fly between two resamplers.
Regards, Andrea

Reply #6
You can add either resampler DSP to your converter chain and create new, resampled files, which you can then ABX (without any active resampler).
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.