Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Separate forum for TAK? (Read 9585 times) previous topic - next topic

Separate forum for TAK?

We have been front-row spectators of the birth and ascent of a new lossless audio compression format, the Tom's Audio Kompressor (TAK).

I think we ought to give TAK its own forum, to record the early discussions, and to record its subsequent development.

As it is now, TAK's threads got buried between other threads.

Separate forum for TAK?

Reply #1
Currently, if you look at the Lossless / Other Codecs  forum, it pretty much is the TAK forum.  I don't think that it's that difficult to find the threads.

I think creating a separate forum for TAK at this time is a little 'disrespectful' to FLAC and WavPack, who have worked hard to achieve the user-base that they have, which is one hell of a lot more people than TAK.

Just my opinion, not that of the board.

NB: Previous thread.
I'm on a horse.

Separate forum for TAK?

Reply #2
I don't think respect really is an issue.  I just think that it's a matter of volume.  The amount of discussion for FLAC and WavPack is pretty significant, so a separate forum for those makes sense.  OptimFrog, LA, etc. don't see much discussion, so those are fine in a catchall forum.  TAK is clearly getting a lot of discussion, so another forum seems reasonable to me.

That being said, it's not imperative that TAK get a separate forum, so I'm fine with whatever happens.  heh

Separate forum for TAK?

Reply #3
TAK is getting a lot of discussion as it is in a key phase.

I would also point out that the post to thread ratio is low; i.e.: there are many threads, but not that many posts - especially if you exclude "W00t! Thanks!" posts.  All the threads are new releases, which can't last forever; no-one is asking support questions, which are the types of thread that will keep a forum ticking over.

That said, I really don't mind either way, I'm just explaining my reasoning.  I think it's early days to warrant the work involved.
I'm on a horse.

Separate forum for TAK?

Reply #4
Nicely explained.  I very much understand your reasoning now and agree with you that it's too early.  Though, like you, I don't mind either way.

Separate forum for TAK?

Reply #5
Well, whatever happens, it's up to the mods & admins.

I just think that (i.e. my reasoning) it will be nice to save the threads behind the birth of TAK. And who knows? Maybe by giving its own forum we will help push its development and deployment?

But again, it's just a friendly suggestion from me. I wish Tom the best

Separate forum for TAK?

Reply #6
I  just think that (i.e. my reasoning) it will be nice to save the threads  behind the birth of TAK.
I would hope that all threads will be saved irrespective of what forum they are in.  Is this not the case with IPB?

Maybe by giving its own forum  we will help push its development and deployment?
But is it fair that TAK should be given that help?  FLAC and WavPack had to work years for the 'honour'.  I sincerely hope that we do see a TAK forum on Hydrogen Audio, but only when it has earned it.

But again, it's just a friendly suggestion from me. I wish Tom the best
You are continually making suggestions to improve Hydrogen Audio as a community, and I personally very much appreciate it.  I certainly don't mean to pee on your parade.  I think you know that I have been a supporter of TAK from the beginning (although I did kind of fall into the role!), and I wish Thomas the best of luck.
I'm on a horse.

Separate forum for TAK?

Reply #7
We have been front-row spectators of the birth and ascent of a new lossless audio compression format, the Tom's Audio Kompressor (TAK).

I think we ought to give TAK its own forum, to record the early discussions, and to record its subsequent development.

As it is now, TAK's threads got buried between other threads.

Thank you very much for caring!

But...

Currently, if you look at the Lossless / Other Codecs  forum, it pretty much is the TAK forum.  I don't think that it's that difficult to find the threads.

TAK is getting a lot of discussion as it is in a key phase.

I would also point out that the post to thread ratio is low; i.e.: there are many threads, but not that many posts - especially if you exclude "W00t! Thanks!" posts.  All the threads are new releases, which can't last forever; no-one is asking support questions, which are the types of thread that will keep a forum ticking over.

Good points!

Somehow i would feel forced to fill a dedicated TAK forum with content, if nobody else is posting... One downside is, that even a temporary lack of posts regarding TAK makes some people feel, that TAK is dying. There have already been exapmles in other threads for this.

If more people start asking questions about TAK's usage, we possibly should think again about it.

Maybe by giving its own forum  we will help push its development and deployment?
But is it fair that TAK should be given that help?  FLAC and WavPack had to work years for the 'honour'.  I sincerely hope that we do see a TAK forum on Hydrogen Audio, but only when it has earned it.

I agree, this wouldn't be fair.

I think creating a separate forum for TAK at this time is a little 'disrespectful' to FLAC and WavPack, who have worked hard to achieve the user-base that they have, which is one hell of a lot more people than TAK.

But please don't take only the time into account when judging the effort which went into the development of a compressor. Possibly TAK's first year of (public) development can count as two or even three...

Thomas

Separate forum for TAK?

Reply #8
I think it is too early to have a separate forum for TAK.

Separate forum for TAK?

Reply #9
Too early imo.

Separate forum for TAK?

Reply #10
I am all for a TAK forum. I find confusing when researching for TAK specific stuff. I learned all of TAK because I had to hunt down a few posts here and there that were in the "Other" forum. Please create the TAK forum.

Separate forum for TAK?

Reply #12
I would like to let Tomas know that for many enthusiasts, myself included, TAK is very far from dead.  I have awaited news from you on development without posting regarding that, as I am a fairly quiet person, and figured you to be hard at work crunching audio digits.  If continuing with the development is what you want, or, more accurately, unless it is what you don't want, please do so, and separate forum or not, continue to keep us the first-informed on its progress.  Or even lack of. 

I find it an exciting thing to witness, and TAK has become my lossless archival compression of choice.  I hope you will continue with the development.

Also, please do not be influenced by negative remarks.  It appears to me that most of those are from proponents of other codecs, and would actually serve to encourage you, as they obviously see TAK to be a contender, else they would ignore it.  Those pushing for support for other platforms, open-source code, etc, also seem to me, while perhaps sounding discouraging or daunting to a developer, only encouragement that people are using TAK...  or wish to do so.

If others are anything like me, they are simply wishing not to take up your time or attention with questions and constant pleas for news. 

For those choosing whether or not to use any codec, I believe a percentage point here or there should not be the deciding factor.  You must take into account why you would be using it, and for what purpose you need to compress the audio.  I think it is not a bad idea, also, if purchasing an audio product, you take the time to ask, "Does it support TAK?"  Every little bit helps.

Regards

I would like to let Tomas know that for many enthusiasts, myself included, TAK is very far from dead.  I have awaited news from you on development without posting regarding that, as I am a fairly quiet person, and figured you to be hard at work crunching audio digits.  If continuing with the development is what you want, or, more accurately, unless it is what you don't want, please do so, and separate forum or not, continue to keep us the first-informed on its progress.  Or even lack of. 

I find it an exciting thing to witness, and TAK has become my lossless archival compression of choice.  I hope you will continue with the development.

Also, please do not be influenced by negative remarks.  It appears to me that most of those are from proponents of other codecs, and would actually serve to encourage you, as they obviously see TAK to be a contender, else they would ignore it.  Those pushing for support for other platforms, open-source code, etc, also seem to me, while perhaps sounding discouraging or daunting to a developer, only encouragement that people are using TAK...  or wish to do so.

If others are anything like me, they are simply wishing not to take up your time or attention with questions and constant pleas for news. 

For those choosing whether or not to use any codec, I believe a percentage point here or there should not be the deciding factor.  You must take into account why you would be using it, and for what purpose you need to compress the audio.  I think it is not a bad idea, also, if purchasing an audio product, you take the time to ask, "Does it support TAK?"  Every little bit helps.

Regards

Separate forum for TAK?

Reply #13

Thank you very much for this encouragement!  It's really appreciated.

And yes, TAK is alive! I have posted some info about my current work here.

Thomas