Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Infinity Primus 360 - beech floor standing speakers (Read 18290 times) previous topic - next topic

Infinity Primus 360 - beech floor standing speakers

Reply #25
I will read those links, thanks.

Note that the goal here it to get good bass across several listening positions.
An OK goal, though I've never managed to get "good stereo" across several listening positions, so I'm not concerned about "good bass" over a wide area either. Not that I mind a sweet spot - I'm the only one in the house who really cares, so that works out just fine

Centre front would be in the middle of the fireplace. Centre back would be behind the sofa.

Some audiophile sites recommend the 'crawl and listen' method -- place the sub at the listening position, play something with well-recorded bass, as you crawl around and listen for the spot that has excellent bass sound -- but personally I have never gotten this to work.
You mean put the sub where you should be, find where it sounds best like that, then swap positions with the sub? Appealing idea if it worked!

One good resource is SoundStage.  They do a lot of NRC-type measurement of speakers they review.
Thanks - there's a lot on there. (had to knock the end off your URL and click through). EDIT: many of those are rare in the UK, and none of the common speakers in the UK are on there.

IIRC  Paradigm made some good measuring, good looking little speakers for not very great cost.  Maybe they still do?
I'll check them out. They're certainly not cheap over here in the UK.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #26
Centre front would be in the middle of the fireplace. Centre back would be behind the sofa.

OK, add one asbestos center speaker to your spec list. 

You mean put the sub where you should be, find where it sounds best like that, then swap positions with the sub? Appealing idea if it worked!

Yes, that's the idea. 
http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/speaker-...oofer-placement

Thanks - there's a lot on there. (had to knock the end off your URL and click through). EDIT: many of those are rare in the UK, and none of the common speakers in the UK are on there.

That's too bad.  I used to have a list of mfrs that applied CRC/Harman-type research to their designs (CRC was where Toole and Olive worked before Harman), but I've long since lost it -- don't know which, if any, were British/European.  Maybe some others here would know, or you could write to Sean to ask (he posts once in a blue moon here at HA)?

Reply #27
This thread on audioholics has some useful posts  -- e.g.

Instead of focusing on brand, why not focus on what makes a good speaker? IMO, the Big Three are:

1) Smoothly declining sound power with frequency
2) Controlled, even, and not-too-wide midrange directivity
3) Low cabinet diffraction

That said, a nonexhaustive list of firms offering speakers designed along those criteria would include Tannoy, KEF, Gradient, Gedlee, and Revel.

Tannoy is certainly available in the UK 

Reply #28
This thread on audioholics has some useful posts  -- e.g.

Instead of focusing on brand, why not focus on what makes a good speaker? IMO, the Big Three are:

1) Smoothly declining sound power with frequency
2) Controlled, even, and not-too-wide midrange directivity
3) Low cabinet diffraction

That said, a nonexhaustive list of firms offering speakers designed along those criteria would include Tannoy, KEF, Gradient, Gedlee, and Revel.

Tannoy is certainly available in the UK 

As is KEF

Which makes it worth a trip to Leeds to the "local" Hi-Fi shop, which I think stocks both.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #29
reviving this thread simply because I want to know...what did you choose?

Reply #30
Life.

Buying speakers is still on the long "things to do" list that always seems to get other things pushed to the top.

Oh, and for anyone contemplating children, please let me warn you: With a 7, 5 and 1.5 year old, I spend more on kid's shoes in a year than I'd dream of spending on speakers once in a decade or two. The kids bring more joy though. They probably get more use out of the stereo too!

Cheers,
David.