Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack 4.40 released (Read 73615 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack 4.40 released

WavPack 4.40 has been released. This is a list of what's new (since 4.32):
  • new hardware-friendly "high" mode compresses almost as well as old "high" mode but decodes significantly faster (works better on Rockboxed iPods)
  • old "high" mode has been renamed "very high" (-hh)
  • "extra" mode levels 1-3 completely revamped, now fast enough to be usable
  • --optimize-mono option added to improve compression of mono material in stereo files (requires at least version 4.3 decoder)
  • cuesheet extraction from command-line and during self-extraction
  • wav header generation on decode for files with missing RIFF information, or forced with -w option
  • expanded summary information including wrapper info and channel assignments
  • other improvements for more robust decoding of corrupt files
  • winamp plugin now quietly skips deleted files in playlist
  • Windows 95 no longer supported (except for self-extraction)
  • source code organized to create a standard library that should more easily integrate into other applications
  • all new documentation on library use and file format details
Many thanks to all the beta testers!

WavPack download page

WavPack 4.40 released

Reply #1
thanks, david!

i packaged svn r57 for rarewares/debian yesterday.

should be a few days/weeks before the debian devs wake up

later

WavPack 4.40 released

Reply #2
Thank you very much, David.
Wonderful christmas present.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

WavPack 4.40 released

Reply #3
Great news!! Thanks, David.
Reason is immortal, all else mortal
- Pythagoras

WavPack 4.40 released

Reply #4
Thx a lot David!
Allegari nihil et allegatum non probare, paria sunt.

WavPack 4.40 released

Reply #5
Thank you.

WavPack 4.40 released

Reply #6
Thankyou!
daefeatures.co.uk

WavPack 4.40 released

Reply #7
Fantstic! Thank you very much!

Could you share what you're going to concetrate on for the next update please?
I mean, clearly after the holidays at least  !
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

WavPack 4.40 released

Reply #9
Thank you, David! This coincides well with my plan to (eventually) re-rip my CDs using the new reference offset . . . That should be fun.

WavPack 4.40 released

Reply #10
new hardware-friendly "high" mode compresses almost as well as old "high" mode but decodes significantly faster (works better on Rockboxed iPods)

Thanks, David.  I've posted an announcement on the Rockbox forums as I believe that this will certainly be of interest to Rockbox users.

WavPack 4.40 released

Reply #13
Many thanks!

WavPack 4.40 released

Reply #15
Thank you sir.
we was young an' full of beans

WavPack 4.40 released

Reply #16
RE: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=451360
The Winamp plugin is now 196 KB uncompressed, does it mean MSVCR80.DLL/VC 2005 Runtimes are no longer necessary please?

RE:  http://www.wavpack.com/wavpack_doc.html
WavPack consists of two complimentary executable programs, WavPack and WvUnpack.
I prolly mean complementary, tho they're surely complimentary too  ...

EDIT: Docs part.

WavPack 4.40 released

Reply #17
Awesome release and it contains a lot of great improvements.  WavPack just keeps getting better and better.  Hopefully, a DAP company will notice and make a player with native wavpack support.
Zune 80, Tak -p4 audio library, Lossless=Choice

WavPack 4.40 released

Reply #18
Thanks a lot for update, David. Excellent as always.

And also a question. Some time ago you said something about possibility to improve noise shaping in hybrid mode for lower bitrates. Do you still have such plans ?

WavPack 4.40 released

Reply #19
Thanks!

I grabbed it and used it to encode a few CDs.  They sound great of course.

How much extra compression in lossless mode does -hh give you over the default lossless parameters on average?

WavPack 4.40 released

Reply #20
Thanks!

I grabbed it and used it to encode a few CDs.  They sound great of course.

How much extra compression in lossless mode does -hh give you over the default lossless parameters on average?
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....mp;#entry434911
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....mp;#entry435146

WavPack 4.40 released

Reply #21
I'm relatively new to WavPack...

Thus far it's worked flawlessly for me. I've been making lossless images of all my discs using v4.31... a few hundred of them actually. Would there be any reason to transcode to the new version? From what I understand... if I use the -hh switch instead of -h, things will be the same... is that correct?

WavPack 4.40 released

Reply #22
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....mp;#entry434911
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....mp;#entry435146
Thanx for the prompt and succinct response.  If I'm reading the first chart correctly it looks like you only gain ~1% greater compression with -hh vs the default lossless parameter. OTOH the encode/decode times increase roughly 50% over default.

It looks like it's pretty well tuned for lossless encoding at the default settings and that's how I'll use it.

Thanx again.

WavPack 4.40 released

Reply #23
Fantstic! Thank you very much!

Could you share what you're going to concetrate on for the next update please?
I mean, clearly after the holidays at least  !

Here are some of the things I am thinking about, although I could certainly end up never getting to some of them:
  • handling W64 and/or RIFF64 files to get over 4 gig WAV limit, and also updating the library to accept a 64-bit WavpackStreamReader to allow WavPack files over 4 gig (this would be done in a backward compatible way)
  • add binary APEv2 tag fields to the library and wavpack.exe (for album art embedding)
  • MMX and other possible optimizations to improve decoding and encoding speed on x86
  • smart noise-shaping in lossy mode, perhaps a simple quality-based VRB mode (based on tonality)
  • winamp plugin enhancements: specify output resolution, multichannel output (if someone can tell me how) and (maybe) tag editing
  • audition plugin enhancements: write RIFF info to APEv2 tags, write cues to embedded cuesheet
  • add option for new CRC covering raw block data (for decoding robustness & quick verify)
  • accept WavPack files as sources to wavpack.exe (with tag copying)
  • option to wvunpack to decode a specified time range (or track, if cuesheet present)
  • raw encode
and also these related things:
  • add WavPack support to SlimServer so I can finally use my SqueezeBox with my favorite format
  • repackage tiny_decoder to get out the improvements from Rockbox (including ColdFire and ARM assember code) and some TMS stuff I did for someone else
  • release a tiny_encoder that I did for someone else
  • do assembler optimization of Rockbox encoding and maybe add lossy encoding too
  • add lossy file handling and perhaps seeking support to ffmpeg (if they'll accept my patches...)
RE: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=451360
The Winamp plugin is now 196 KB uncompressed, does it mean MSVCR80.DLL/VC 2005 Runtimes are no longer necessary please?

Yes, I took the dependencies out of both the winamp plugin and the audition plugin. I may try to build with MSVC 6 at some point in the future, but this is easier for now.

RE:  http://www.wavpack.com/wavpack_doc.html
WavPack consists of two complimentary executable programs, WavPack and WvUnpack.
I prolly mean complementary, tho they're surely complimentary too  ...

No, I meant that the two programs are very polite and they compliment one another all the time!

Thanks, I'll fix that... 

I'm relatively new to WavPack...

Thus far it's worked flawlessly for me. I've been making lossless images of all my discs using v4.31... a few hundred of them actually. Would there be any reason to transcode to the new version? From what I understand... if I use the -hh switch instead of -h, things will be the same... is that correct?

With this release I changed the -hh mode back to be identical to the old -h mode. However, you could transcode to the new version with a -hhx which goes pretty quick and would probably give you another 0.2 percent or so (with no decode penalty). But I wouldn't bother...

Edit: added 4 items to "to do" list that I forgot.

WavPack 4.40 released

Reply #24

With my test corpus I actually get about 1.5% improvement from default to -hh, so it does depend a little on the type of music (my corpus has a little of everything).

However, with this release, I would recommend using either -x or -hx. They improve the compression over the default about 0.5% (with no decode penalty) and 1.25% (with 1/2 the decode penalty of -hh), respectively. The -x about doubles the encode time, but it's still faster than most rippers.

My top goals for this release were to greatly reduce the use of -hh and greatly increase the use of -x (that's why you see what you see in the "short" help version).

BTW, thanks to everybody for the support!!