Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar 0.9 manual, comments appreciated (Read 46634 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar 0.9 manual, comments appreciated

[a href="http://eolindel.free.fr/foobar0.9/index.shtml" target="_blank"]

I do not contribute to the wiki but I will give links related to it if needed, if anyone feels porting this manual to the wiki, he can do that with my agreement. If you want to use this manual elsewhere just ask me by PM.

You can e-mail (link given on the first page of the website) me or send me PM for suggestions, corections etc..

Reply #1
Missing:
-freedb2 is a bit buggy/unfinished
-no support for all official id3v2 tags (and thats the reason why "delete all tags except" in masstagger dont work as should)
-no more "beep on errors" in console, so we dont know if there are some errors in currently played files
-no more choice of default tagging standard
-masstagger doesnt rememer output directory (in "move or rename files")

Annoying:
-replaygain popup

New:
-autoplaylists
-better volume control
-masstagger scripts in context menu
-builtin id3v2.4 support (but unfinished yet? hope so...)
-converter
-playback queue
-simplified database rescanning

Reply #2
MISSING:

- MP3 TAGGING: no choice anymore for the default MP3 tagging system
- MP3 TAGGING: no ID3v2.3 writing support
- REPLAYGAIN SCANNER: no choice for grouping files
- AAC: no seeking anymore; no tagging [APEv2]
- MP4: no more possibility to wrap/unwrap AAC/MP3 files within MP4 container
- CONVERTER: can't set buffering anymore
- CONVERTER: can't change CPU level/priority anymore
- STD INPUT: no choice for an alternate MP3 decoder
- OUTPUT/DECODING: limited choice for output (padding, low bitdepth, etc...)
- TAGGING: no more possibility of virtual tagging (database only-untouched files) [unsure]
- TAGGING: lost the possibility of tagging various formats (WAV, AC3 [unsure], AAC [not MP4]) with APEv2.

NEW FEATURES (selection):
- secure ripping + offset correction
- CONVERTER: possibility to create .cue/chaptered albums
- MP3: ID3v2.4 supported by default
- TAGGING: support for fast updating of ID3v2/Vorbis_comment tagged files

Reply #5
I guess it's personal taste, but I find the flashing 0.9 icon terribly annoying. Now, that's not related to the particular design of your icon, but to flashing or blinking text/graphics in general. A blinking text cursor is acceptable, but everything else is just distracting.

Reply #6
I guess it's personal taste, but I find the flashing 0.9 icon terribly annoying. Now, that's not related to the particular design of your icon, but to flashing or blinking text/graphics in general. A blinking text cursor is acceptable, but everything else is just distracting.

I wondered if it was    I'm thinking on how to make 0.9 changes visually more noticeable. But I consider changing the 0.9 animation  , as I know that especially the white 0.9 is painful for eyes.

Anyway thanks for your opinion.

Reply #7
edited, see the first post

Hope you enjoy it foosion

If you see questions that should appear in the FAQ , don't hesitate to tell me. I will improve it but I put questions while I create pages related to those questions. That's why it is quite empty for the moment.

As usual, comments and critics are welcome.

Reply #8

More will come in the next days but it is quite long to gather information splitted all around the forum, the wiki and developers websites

Reply #9

I will improve the "panels" page it if I have enough time (to give information about the browser panel especially).

Reply #10

Not yet finished. But the move&rename part is done

Reply #11

I've changed a bit the home page.

I'm not desperated to get any comment on my job, wether it's a good or a bad one.

I see the reader number of this post increase more than the number of replies. I hope that it's not because people think that this manual is crap.

Reply #14

If anyone sees anything about the media library, don't hesitate to say it..

Reply #15
The Features page needs some debunking:

* Customizable buttons
Misleading, this is a Columns UI feature.

* Tagz script improvements
"Tagz" is not an official name, it's an informal name introduced by users. The official name is just titleformatting syntax (the language) or titleformatting scripts (the code you write).

* New freedb component (but with less options)
Even though I am a foobar2000 moderator, this still counts as a third-party component, and I would prefer that it would be labeled as such. As for the "less options", I changed the description for new versions of foo_freedb2 to "Basic freedb tagger" to better reflect its capabilities.

* Better management of the database
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Are you talking about the Media Library preferences? Please do not use the term "database" when you talk about the Media Library in 0.9.

* Secured ripping and offset correction
Should be "secure" instead of "secured" (slight semantic difference ).

* Volume controle by default
Should be "control" (spelling).

* simplified database rescanning
See remarks above regarding the name.

* No choice of the MP3 tagging system
Misleading. There is no more configuration for the default tag format used for untagged files, however the tag type can be changed manually.

* Replaygain scanner less powerful with less options to group files (to compute album values)
I guess this needs some explanation (possibly elsewhere). It's not like all grouping options are gone.

* no seeking with AAC
* no APEv2 tagging for AAC files
* lost the possibility of tagging various formats (WAV, AC3 [unsure], AAC [not MP4]) with APEv2
Use of raw AAC files is deprecated anyway. Use a proper container.  Tagging of WAV files was never supported.

* no more possibility to wrap/unwrap AAC/MP3 files within MP4 container
Well, this was an additional component anyway.

In general, I'd prefer if you would discern core features from features provided by third-party components. It's already hard enough for an (unexperienced) user to tell just by looking at foobar2000, if a given feature is provided by the core or a third-party component - much less by which component. This is the price that has to be paid for seamless integration. This is were your manual could come in handy: it could help prevent confusion on the users side like "Why don't I have command X in the main menu?"

Please understand that I am not offended because you list changes that some people don't like, but I am concerned about inaccurate information confusing users instead of educating them.

Reply #16
* Tagz script improvements
"Tagz" is not an official name, it's an informal name introduced by users. The official name is just titleformatting syntax (the language) or titleformatting scripts (the code you write).

It might not be fully official, but Peter called it TAGZ in the days of Winamp2, IIRC. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Reply #17
Perhaps, I wasn't on the internet in the days of Winamp2, but then this is foobar2000 and not Winamp2000.  I don't remember seeing the name used in any official foobar2000 material since I use the program (0.4x). Also, even Winamp alls that ATF (Advanced Titleformatting) nowadays as far as I know.

On a more personal side, even though I might have used the name "Tagz" myself in the past, I'm not really fond of it today. I feel it doesn't fit with the name foobar2000; it's like "script kiddy leet" vs. "programmer leet".

Reply #18
Thanks fo the reply

Updated

I let the AAC part :
Use of raw AAC files is deprecated anyway. Use a proper container.
no more possibility to wrap/unwrap AAC/MP3 files within MP4 container
Well, this was an additional component anyway.

As even if the use of raw AAC files is deprecated, some people do it

and : Well which container to use if there is none  (but I don't know much about matroska container)

For the optional/core options, if you're right It's quite a boring thing to see wether it's an option, say it somewhere, etc ..

Maybe I will choose later to announce clearly which feature comes from the Core and which from a plugin (it should be done, I agree, but it's not the more important for the moment for me).
Moreover it's already done undirectly when I give a link to the official page or the related topic about a component)

For the spelling and the grammar, as I'm french there should be mistakes everywhere  But it's hard to correct myself. Help would be great to correct.

For Tagz, I have circumvented  (right word?)

Anyway, many thanks to take care

(Sorry for the spelling and grammar,I'm very tired after nearly two weeks of exams)

Reply #20
Minor changes on some pages.

I think I've given usually used output formats of HTML files with common information. I hope it will help some people.

Reply #21
Good work, help very much the foobar users!!!

Reply #23

it should help new users. I minimized it into one page with  short comments to make it quite straightforward and I give quite a lot of links if people want to know more about anything.

I intend to create the links  page and a "foobar in picture" page soon.