Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: dBpoweramp Music Converter R12 (Read 81498 times) previous topic - next topic

dBpoweramp Music Converter R12

Reply #50
I have never used dBpoweramp before...
Is this release considered stable/reliable ?
Or would it be wise to wait on any improvements/bug fixes ?

It's quite good and stable.

A few things you should be very aware of tho.

The 'free' version is very bare bones.

The 'powerpack' version includes stuff like mp3 encoding and secure ripping, but you do not get C2 pointer support, 'ultra secure', logging options and several other important features.

The 'reference' version includes everything, and costs more and there is no lifetime upgrades for it. Minor version updates are free, however Major version upgrades will cost you.

None of the versions currently include cue sheet support, nor ripping to one file (ie cue + wave).

I highly recommend carefully reading the version comparison @ http://www.dbpoweramp.com/db-versions.htm before paying for anything, otherwise your at great risk of buying something you thought you were getting, but don't.

Reply #51
I have never used dBpoweramp before...
Is this release considered stable/reliable ?
Or would it be wise to wait on any improvements/bug fixes ?

So you can guarantee me that I will get the same good rips as with EAC (or better) ?
And how long have this software been in testing/development ?

Reply #52
I doubt anyone, including the dbpoweramp developer, is going to guarantee anything.

It does have a trial time period, I suggest you make a few comparison rips with both eac and r12 and decide for yourself.

Reply #53
So you can guarantee me that I will get the same good rips as with EAC (or better) ?
Does your drive provide C2 pointers?

If no then EAC is probably going to be your best bet for the money.  If yes and depending on the condition of your CDs, then the reference version of R12 will be able to rip things accurately that EAC can't.

Based solely on accuracy, the power pack version of R12 isn't going to give you much (if anything at all) over EAC.  In fact, you run a greater risk of having consistent errors get concealed with dBpowerAMP through improper configuration of the Maximum Re-Reads setting.

And how long have this software been in testing/development ?
Use the search function and you will find your answer.

Reply #54
OK thanks for the information, it looks like the "reference" version is the one I interested in.
How much does the license cost to use this version ?

When I rip my cd collection I will use a 3-way system with drives and I plan to use EAC/dBpoweramp and Plexi tools if the two first rips (EAC/dBpoweramp) have conflicting CRC's.

The drives I got is supposed to my knowledge have a "reliable" DAE/C2

Plextor Px-708a
Plextor Px-230a (rebaged Benq version)
Lite-On SHM-165H6S

Reply #55
OK thanks for the information, it looks like the "reference" version is the one I interested in.
How much does the license cost to use this version ?

When I rip my cd collection I will use a 3-way system with drives and I plan to use EAC/dBpoweramp and Plexi tools if the two first rips (EAC/dBpoweramp) have conflicting CRC's.

The drives I got is supposed to my knowledge have a "reliable" DAE/C2

Plextor Px-708a
Plextor Px-230a (rebaged Benq version)
Lite-On SHM-165H6S

WOW, that sounds like overkill. BTW, if you have over-read into lead in/out configured your CRCs wount match on the last track (I think) since the 230 and lite on cant over-read (it may be the 1st track, you will have to check). Also, if accuraterip, in either dbamp or eac says its accurate, then it is. Also, you will need to check how CRCs are checked in each program *or are you going to check them manually on the wav?) as they may be calculated differently.

Also, the reference version is $28:
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc-power-register.htm

Reply #56
BTW, if you have over-read into lead in/out configured your CRCs wount match on the last track (I think) since the 230 and lite on cant over-read (it may be the 1st track, you will have to check).
The first track is affected when the offset correction is a negative number, otherwise it is the last track.

The CRCs will be different if all of the following conditions are satisfied: 1) the drives have different offsets, 2) they can't be configured or aren't configured to overread, and 3) the samples in the area requiring overreading are non-silent.

There are more permutations when you consider EAC's "fill up missing offset samples with silence" and "no use of null samples in CRC calculations" settings.  To avoid the hassle of incompatible CRC generation between platforms, check the first one and uncheck the second one.  Furthermore, make sure that gaps are being appended to the previous track and that EAC's "delete leading and trailing silent blocks" setting is unchecked.

Finally, remember that the CRCs are generated from the raw PCM data only.

Reply #57
>Plextor Px-708a
>Plextor Px-230a (rebaged Benq version)

In my testing neither of these let through a single error (past the c2), and that was ripping 1000's of intentionally damged tracks.

Reply #58
Any chance the FLAC encoder will be upgraded to 1.1.4?

Reply #59
Also what version of LAME are you using now? Not still stuck at 3.96.1 I hope?

Reply #60
>Plextor Px-708a

In my testing neither of these let through a single error (past the c2), and that was ripping 1000's of intentionally damged tracks.

I am going to test the C2 reporting with Nero CD-DVD Speed in a few moments since I don't have the time to wait for Andre's tool to analyze the results obtained by his C2 extractor.

Reply #61
FLAC 1.1.4 shortly (our priority is filling some of the missing codec / DSPs).

Lame is the latest non-beta version, 3.97 off the top of my head.

Reply #62
Eli and greynol.

Yes I know it might be overkill, but I'm very paranoid and have no acceptance for inaccurate rips their is no room for that...it will not be any possibility for me to rip an CD twice once it's ripped.

Yes I'm aware that all three drives have different offsets, and that  708 is able to over-read and the others aren't. But what you are saying to me is something new, so please don't tell me now when I have bought 3 drives that it would be impossible to get an identical copy just because of px708a supports over-reading and the others aren't, I was certain that EAC/dBpoweramp  would correct this somehow with filling up ill up missing offset samples with silence etc, which would make an identical copy/crc...

And one more question correct me if I'm wrong, the CRC's created in EAC/dBpoweramp will not match cause they are calculated with an different algorithm ?
Do I need to create external checksums with like HKSFV or any other software ?

Reply #63
FLAC 1.1.4 shortly (our priority is filling some of the missing codec / DSPs).

Lame is the latest non-beta version, 3.97 off the top of my head.

Excellent thanks for the info

Reply #64
> CRC's created in EAC/dBpoweramp will not match cause they are calculated with an different algorithm ?

They will match if you set EAC to use NULL samples for calculation.

dBpoweramp will generate identical files for all your drives (nb it is only the last track which is affected) as long as audio data is not present to the very last sample (which is quite rare).

Reply #65
> CRC's created in EAC/dBpoweramp will not match cause they are calculated with an different algorithm ?

They will match if you set EAC to use NULL samples for calculation.

dBpoweramp will generate identical files for all your drives (nb it is only the last track which is affected) as long as audio data is not present to the very last sample (which is quite rare).

Ah ok thanks.
But will dBpoweramp make identical files to EAC aswell, so I can compare them ?
The whole point is that I want to have as many references as possible.
And you say it's "quite" rare that audio data is present in the very last sample.
Exactly how common is it ? So I know when I get conflicting crc's. So I guess the best
thing to do when I get conflicting crc's in the last track on the cd, I will assume that my px708a is the most trustworthy CRC, since it over-read's on the last track.

Reply #66

>Plextor Px-708a

I am going to test the C2 reporting with Nero CD-DVD Speed in a few moments since I don't have the time to wait for Andre's tool to analyze the results obtained by his C2 extractor.

Looking forward to these results, Sebastian.

spoon: Have downloaded the trial and am very impressed thus far.  Thanks for your efforts.

Reply #68
Spoon, do you have any ETA on the new Sveta version?

Reply #69
It is difficult at this stage to say how much effort Sveta will require to play-ball with the new Converter.

Reply #70
I was certain that EAC/dBpoweramp  would correct this somehow with filling up ill up missing offset samples with silence etc, which would make an identical copy/crc...
Nope.

I thought you were also interested in ripping with PlexTools.  Last time I checked it didn't generate checksums.

After some configuration changes, yes.  dBpowerAMP adds metadata to wave files by default.

And you say it's "quite" rare that audio data is present in the very last sample.
Spoon is "quite" wrong about this.  Final tracks ending with non-silent samples are very far from rare.

So I know when I get conflicting crc's. So I guess the best thing to do when I get conflicting crc's in the last track on the cd, I will assume that my px708a is the most trustworthy CRC, since it over-read's on the last track.
What if the CRCs differ for some reason other than a lack of overreading?

Reply #71
I was certain that EAC/dBpoweramp  would correct this somehow with filling up ill up missing offset samples with silence etc, which would make an identical copy/crc...
Nope.

I thought you were also interested in ripping with PlexTools.  Last time I checked it didn't generate checksums.

After some configuration changes, yes.  dBpowerAMP adds metadata to wave files by default.

Spoon is "quite" wrong about this.  Final tracks ending with non-silent samples are very far from rare.

So I know when I get conflicting crc's. So I guess the best thing to do when I get conflicting crc's in the last track on the cd, I will assume that my px708a is the most trustworthy CRC, since it over-read's on the last track.

Damn this is begin to get  really confusing
Maybe I need to change my ripping strategy...
Well, why I did think about using 2(3) ripping softwares
is mainly cause the C2 correction is handled in a different way in each program, and they do not always generate an unambiguous result.
If I had 3 references, my idea was to be able to choose which is "correct", if I get the equal CRC's
with let's say EAC/Plextools, I will use these rips...and assume the dBpoweramp rip is not correct, since 2 weight more then 1.

And what metadata in dBpowerAMP are you talking about ?

And yes of course you are right..but this is an compromise.. since only px708a is able to overread, I will not  be able to compare the crc's with the Lite-ON and px230A...what has the greatest weight in your opinion, ?
708a alone or Lite-ON px230a (we are talking about the last track here)

And I still would be interested to know how common it is that the last sample is filled with audio...

Reply #72
Crossreferencing between 3 drives??? I think your being overly paranoid. If you get matches for accuraterip, then your files are fine. If your files aren't in accurate rip, as long as there are no detected errors you should be fine.

Reply #73
>And what metadata in dBpowerAMP are you talking about ?

dBpoweramp is able to tag wave files, so when comparing audio files you should always compare the uncomrpessed audio, not the files (ie just running an audio file through CRC32 is wrong), dBpoweramp Reference has a [Calculate CRC] utility codec, select a bunch of file and a CRC32 & MD5 for those files (audio data only) is displayed.

Anyhow back to the point at hand - Accuraterip will help, even if the cd is not in the database, have dBpoweramp to write a ripping log file & check the CRCs from accuraterip, if you rip again, no matter what the drive is that crc is not affected by overreading. Or have dBpoweramp to write AccurateRip ID Tags and compare the CRC in the ID Tags (you cannot use wave as that cannot have accuraterip id tags, any lossless format will though).

Reply #74
Did a small test with my PX-230A and a CD-RW containing a straight line (made with a black marker; ~2mm) from one end of the CD to the other:

I don't get it. The number of compare errors, C2 errors and C2 errors missed are very strange IMO. I thought that the number of C2 errors missed would be compare errors - C2 errors.

Some tests with PX-755A and LG E10L will follow soon.

PX-755A:

E10L:

This is the test CD-RW: http://www.maresweb.de/miscellaneous/testcd.JPG