Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ogg's future quality? (Read 4601 times) previous topic - next topic

ogg's future quality?

Is it technically possible for ogg to improve to say, mpc lvl? Or since the format's been finalized (I suppose that it won't be changing since it's supported by iriver and rio) will all improvements come via tweaks ala lame?

ogg's future quality?

Reply #1
only the decoders are freezed
there can be new, better ogg vorbis encoders whcih can be decoded which the "old" decoder. the decoder is written in a way to make this possible.

for exmaple the GT3 version of vorbis is a tuned encoder but can be decoded with the old decoder.

ogg's future quality?

Reply #2
well, since the decoder is finalized, it does limit the degree of change possible. I'm just curious if we might be able to expect radical changes or if it'll plateau like lame mp3.

ogg's future quality?

Reply #3
There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the vorbis format. If you look at this thread - http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....topic=15384&hl=, Frank Klemm, if I interpret the discussion correctly(  ), indicates that in his opinion, the strength of MPC is in the psychoacoustic model rather than any real superiority in the basic format and that most of the current formats could achieve similar acclaim simply by improving their models. Similarly, Monty (aka Xiphmont on HA) has, IIRC, said recently that there is considerable scope for tuning improvements within vorbis, it's just that it takes a considerable period of time to make significant progress and his priorities lay elsewhere at the moment.

So, although progress may be slower than many would like, there is no reason for doom and gloom regarding the future attainable levels of quality.

ogg's future quality?

Reply #4
oh geezus! if MPC's results were a result of human tweaking... why didn't he work on Ogg? Lol, audiophiles across the world are going to pickle his brain after he's dead

ogg's future quality?

Reply #5
only the decoders are freezed
there can be new, better ogg vorbis encoders whcih can be decoded which the "old" decoder. the decoder is written in a way to make this possible.

for exmaple the GT3 version of vorbis is a tuned encoder but can be decoded with the old decoder.

Is that because Vorbis packs the codebooks into the file as well, hence the same decoder can be used to decode files that were encoded using differently tuned Vorbis encoders?  I remember reading in the Vorbis I specs which said that Monty took this very unusual step.