Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: converting FLAC TO ALAC and everything translate 1411 BIT RATE (Read 52226 times) previous topic - next topic

converting FLAC TO ALAC and everything translate 1411 BIT RATE

AM I doing some thing wrong
thanks

Re: converting FLAC TO ALAC and everything translate 1411 BIT RATE

Reply #1
Uncompressed audio from a CD is about 1411 kbps. If I remember correctly there was an issue with ffmpeg alac files displaying as 1411 kbps in itunes.

Edit: after a couple quick searches
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,76768.msg672117.html#msg672117
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22ffmpeg%22+%22alac%22+%221411%22
korth

Reply #2
Why would anyone convert FLAC, a free and open format, to ALAC anyway I wonder.

Reply #3
Suppose you are on a OS not supporting FLAC e.g. OSX?
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #4
Possible, but I can't imagine that being the case unless OSX is worse than I thought.

Reply #5
macOS supports FLAC the weird Music application doesn't. Wasn't there the comment that the bitrate is pointless for lossless audio anyway?

Reply #6
I'm converting FLAC to ALAC using qaac.  Each track has a different bitrate.  I haven't tried loading them in iTunes yet though.

foobar shows the bitrate correctly though.

The reason for doing this is to put the ALAC files on an iPod Classic that I have replaced the original 160 GB HD with a 512 GB SSD.  I plan on connecting that via USB and using the car's controls to access and play the media.  It's one of the only ways to play back SQ (lossless) media in the car with gapless playback support.
JXL

Reply #7
Possible, but I can't imagine that being the case unless OSX is worse than I thought.

Apple doesn't support FLAC.
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #8
Apple doesn't support FLAC.

It does, at least QuickTime Player and Quick Look on macOS Catalina. Even metadata when the file is played locally, no idea why this fails when the file is played from an SMB share though.

Reply #9
The music app does not. Old iPod devices do not, and never will without mucking about with third party firmware.

Reply #10
The music app does not. Old iPod devices do not, and never will without mucking about with third party firmware.

True. I remember that you could convert everything to 128K AAC for the iPod, I wonder if this is still possible. I also remember that I had my CD collection as ALAC once (lost it through hard drive failure) but they were weird for some (forgotten) reason, must have been some bug in sbooth's Rip software. But this is beside the point of the thread.