Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Dolby Atmos to Ambisonics B Format conversion? (Read 3755 times) previous topic - next topic

Dolby Atmos to Ambisonics B Format conversion?

Is it theoretically possible to render a Dolby Atmos stream into a Ambisonics B Format auditory scene?

This is just something I've been wondering about.

Re: Dolby Atmos to Ambisonics B Format conversion?

Reply #1
Yes, I think it would be quite possible. You would have to translate the coordinates of the x,y,z,w of ambisonics to whatever encoding device Atmos uses for its 9.1 bed. However, bear in mind that Atmos uses objectsas well as a bed so I can't see how you could extract "moving" objects from an ambisonic soundscape (eg a plane flying around) and translate them into an Atmos object automatically - it would have to be done manually and would take ages. Somebody may already be doing it though and developing some sort of algorithm - not that I know of anyway.

Reply #2
augustine, it seems you got it backwards, the question is "from Atmos to Ambisonics", not vice versa.

Reply #3
augustine, it seems you got it backwards, the question is "from Atmos to Ambisonics", not vice versa.

I'd also like to know if there is an answer to this; "Atmos => Ambisonic"