Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Awesome / Annoying Cover Versions (Read 26197 times) previous topic - next topic

Awesome / Annoying Cover Versions

Reply #3
Nina Simone - To Love Somebody
Elbow - Independent Woman
Both much better than the original.

Reply #4
I'd regard all of Tarja's Hard Rock covers (e. g. Alice Cooper's Poison) as annoying

Reply #7
The Decemberists' cover of Joanna Newsom's Bridges and Balloon.

I heard The Decemberists' version before Joanna Newsom's.  Searching YouTube for the track led me to discover it was a cover.  I often think that the version that you hear first has a lot of bearing on which you prefer, so an artist improving a track is quite impressive.

I guess mentions should go out to Richard Cheese and Nouvelle Vague.

Edit: Oh, and in the same vein as Elbow's Independent Woman (which I first heard on rathergood.com) , Eels' Get Ur Freak On.  Or even Arctic Monkeys' Love Machine.  That's me spent.  For now.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #8
Ladyscraper - Senseless Apprentice

And how can we talk about awesome covers and not invoke Easy Star All Stars?

Reply #9
after all those years, Van Halen's "You Really Got Me" is still a permanent part of my playlist and beats imho the original version of "The Kinks" by miles

Reply #10
How about the Amboy Dukes covering, "Baby Please Don't Go"--originally by blues singer Big Joe Williams.
Them (with Van Morrison singing) covered it first, but Nuge's guitar work is really pretty unbelievably wild.

Lots of '60s garage bands did awesome covers of old blues standards, TBH.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #11
The barbershop quartet Vocal Spectrum performs an outstanding version of the Beach Boys hit "Good Vibrations".  Sure, it's an acapella performance (it's barbershop harmony, of course), but just as enjoyable as the Beach Boys version with instruments.

The Vocal Spectrum quartet won the international barbershop quartet contest held in Indianapolis in 2006.

Vocal Spectrum Website

Reply #12
Lots of '60s garage bands did awesome covers of old blues standards, TBH.
Led Zeppelin - When the Levee Breaks and the Doors - Back Door Man stand out in my mind, though I'm not sure I'd call either band "garage".

Reply #13
after all those years, Van Halen's "You Really Got Me" is still a permanent part of my playlist and beats imho the original version of "The Kinks" by miles

Speaking of Van Halen, "You're No Good" is just awesome whether by VH or Linda Ronstadt! Both have their pleasures. The simple extended outro of guitar harmonics with simple background strings on the latter is just something that stuck with me while DLR's throaty howling and the much blusier vibe is also a pleasure on the former.

In fact there's a lot of fine pleasures in VH's covers from the DLR years! I totally dig how, on "Diver Down", the controlled chaos of "Intruder" segues into "(Oh) Pretty Woman" then hits the next cover afterwards, "Dancing In The Streets"! ;-)

As for an annoying cover, Faith No More's "Easy". It's just bad. Way bad.

--EazyB
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT!]

Reply #14
My personal favorite is Jeff Buckley's version of The Smith's I Know It's Over.

Reply #15
Renegades of Funk, covered by Rage Against The Machine.  Love it.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #16
Much better than the original: Pomplamoose - Telephone by Lady Gaga.
They also made some other great covers.

Reply #17
Much better than the original: Pomplamoose - Telephone by Lady Gaga.
They also made some other great covers.

Helgi:  I had never heard of this duet until yesterday, when I read your post.  I watched/listened to the Telephone song and others.  Loved them all!  Nataly is adorable and Jack is crazy (in a nice way).  Their combination of video and music is extremely creative.  Thanks for the tip on Pomplamoose!

Reply #18
Agent Orange doing "Somebody To Love"
Minor Threat doing "Stepping Stone"

Reply #19
I'd say that Weird Al's "Bohemian Polka" does fit the thread's subject. (We weren't supposed to delete any of the words, were we?)

Reply #20
Wow, those Pomplamoose songs are great! Thought of "Telephone" as Gaga's single best song to date, but the Pomplamoose cover leaves it in the dust. Thanks for the tip!
Nothing is impossible if you don't need to do it yourself.

Reply #21
Pomplamoose is getting some TV exposure here in the USA ... they are featured in a series of Hyundai commercials for the Christmas holidays, singing "Up on the Housetop", "Jingle Bells", and "Deck the Halls."

Pomplamoose Hyundai Commercials

Reply #22
A nice cover of Beck's Sunday Sun by The Ciinematics

Reply #24
Do you guys have examples of very good (maybe even better than the original) or very bad cover versions of songs?

Original:  Flamingos - I Only Have Eyes For You 
Remake: a  FAR better version by Art Garfunkel

Original: Robert Knight - Everlasting Love
Remake: an infinitely better version by Carl Carlton

Original: Stevie Wonder - Pasttime Paradise
Remake: Nowhere as good a version by Coolio. Not even close!

Original: Big Mama Thornton - Hound Dog
Remake: Elvis's brilliant version was in a much higher galaxy

Original: Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Remake: Dolly Parton did a version that did not hold a candle to the original