Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMA Lossless Codec Presets for FB2K? (Read 3226 times) previous topic - next topic

WMA Lossless Codec Presets for FB2K?

Hello,

I recently downloaded the wmaencoder64.exe codec from the uploads section and I was hoping for some assistance with the correct presets to use in foobar for lossless encoding.

I am converting FLAC image files with embedded cuesheets and cover art to WMA lossless.

I am currently using the following parameters.

--silent --codec lossless -input %s -output %d

It seems to be working fine, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing a parameter that should be included.   Are there any VBR quality or gapless presets that should be thrown in there?

Also, has there been any update on converting 24/192 files to WMA lossless?  Is that still broken?  I tried converting a few albums, but they all failed to convert.  Is there a fix?
Thanks in advance.
JXL

Re: WMA Lossless Codec Presets for FB2K?

Reply #1
There are no -input and -output options, so just use
--silent --codec lossless %s %d
Or even better:
--silent --codec lossless - %d
(it will be a bit faster).

It seems to be working fine, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing a parameter that should be included.   Are there any VBR quality or gapless presets that should be thrown in there?
Lossless is lossless. It's always VBR, gapless, 100% quality. Otherwise it's broken.

Also, has there been any update on converting 24/192 files to WMA lossless?  Is that still broken?  I tried converting a few albums, but they all failed to convert.  Is there a fix?
It's not broken, it's not supported by Microsoft.
Supported formats:
44.1 kHz, 2 channel, 16 bit
44.1 kHz, 2 channel, 24 bit
48 kHz, 2 channel, 24 bit
48 kHz, 5.1 channel, 24 bit
88 kHz, 2 channel, 24 bit
88 kHz, 5.1 channel, 24 bit
96 kHz, 2 channel, 24 bit
96 kHz, 5.1 channel, 24 bit

Reply #2
Why would anybody use WMA lossless when even Microsoft itself supports FLAC in their latest OS?

Reply #3
It's the only lossless codec that is supported by my car's GraceNote system.  I would need to use the auxiliary input or BT to play lossless otherwise.

I am dumping them all on a 500 GB FAT32 formatted SSD drive for my car to read via USB and play through the HUD controls, which should let me focus more on driving.  Less phone grabbing..
JXL

Reply #4
There are no -input and -output options, so just use
--silent --codec lossless %s %d
Or even better:
--silent --codec lossless - %d
(it will be a bit faster).

Lossless is lossless. It's always VBR, gapless, 100% quality. Otherwise it's broken.

It's not broken, it's not supported by Microsoft.
Supported formats:
44.1 kHz, 2 channel, 16 bit
44.1 kHz, 2 channel, 24 bit
48 kHz, 2 channel, 24 bit
48 kHz, 5.1 channel, 24 bit
88 kHz, 2 channel, 24 bit
88 kHz, 5.1 channel, 24 bit
96 kHz, 2 channel, 24 bit
96 kHz, 5.1 channel, 24 bit

Thank you!  I appreciate your work on this.
JXL

Reply #5
Update: GraceNote system does not support gapless playback of audio when connected via a USB flash drive or SSD or Samsung S10.

It plays audio back gaplessly when I plug my iPod Classic in, so I decided to further pursue that option and found a way to replace the Toshiba HD they come with with a 512 GB SSD, which will increase it's speed and performance and allow me to store my entire media collection in ALAC on there.  For some reason GraceNote plays back ALAC files that are on my iPod, but will not play them on a flash drive or SSD or Samsung S10.  They appear in the database but they get skipped when selected. Weird...
CK