Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Soundcard with multiple outputs - preview/prelisten tracks on headphones  (Read 958 times) previous topic - next topic

Soundcard with multiple outputs - preview/prelisten tracks on headphones

Hey there!
I'm quite new to foobar but I love it. It's just the best and fastest audio player around. Actually so good and fast and reliable (even with huge libraries), that I want to use it for DJ-Tasks. But there is one thing really missing to do that: Multi-output support; e. g. to prelisten/preview tracks on headphones while the queue list is playing.

Is there any chance to get that in the near future or is a component available to work around it?

Many thanks in advance for your support and help.

Frank

Re: Soundcard with multiple outputs - preview/prelisten tracks on headphones

Reply #1
I agree it would be very cool to have different playlists use different outputs. Can you not do it with two "portable" installs of Foobar?

Reply #2
hey darkflame23. That seems to be an idea on first sight. I'm currently trying that and hooked up my external Scarlet Audiointerface, but foobar doesn't let me choose which Output I want to send the signal to. It just sends everything to Channel 1 and 2.

Reply #3
Have you tried the "Move stereo to rear channels" DSP?

Reply #4
I just saw in the dsp menu a "convert stereo to 4 channels" plugin. I'll try that. But before I have to check something.

I've forgotten to mention that I'm talking about a foobar installation in wine on a mac.... maybe that is the problem. I just checked the installation on my windows desktop pc and over there I can see the different channels of my soundcard but I don't understand the upmix plugin as I cannot go into some settings. So, before I can try and dig deeper into the upmix plugin, I have to search for a driver solution to make every channel of my soundcard visible in wine on the macbook.

Does anybody have some hints for me regarding wine and soundcard?

beg your pardon for the irritations...

Reply #5
No probs. Yes, will be your soundcard drivers that will determine setting which hardware output etc. Adding WINE under Mac will of course make things more difficult. Are there ASIO4ALL drivers for your soundcard? Might be worth a try.

Reply #6
I think I'll update my Wine to the latest version , I think I've read somewhere that there is an update for multichannel soundcards...hopefully... and then I'll try again.

Many thanks for now and your fast responses and help!

I'll keep you updated.

Reply #7
Ok. Back again. I tried a lot, could manage to tell wine that my soundcard is quadrophonic. but I couldn't get a second instance of foobar open in wine (what btw anyhow would have been just a sad workaround) and I wasn't able to mute one pair of outputs.

So please tell me someone - can we hope for the installation of a foobar feature that makes it possible to preview or to send two tracks to two different specific outputs of a multichannel soundcard like you can find in DJ softwares like MIXXX, e.g.?

Beside that, foobar is really the fastest and greatest audioplayer on earth in all environments, os's and anywhere else. The search function on my old DualCore MB is lightning fast even in a huge library.  All the DJ Players I know are wayyy slower on my old maschine (which I believe is done on purpose by Apple, because ...akg...other topic).

I really fell in love with foobar2000. Amazing!! and I'd like to thank all the developers for their great work.

Good night for now
Frank

PS: please create a headphone prelisten channel which could be send to a different stereo output  8)  ;D

Reply #8
I'd really like to bump this topic and get the opinion of experienced gurus like foosion on that matter.

Right now to achieve prelistening I use two portable instances of foobar with different audio outputs.
It works fine, but since the instances and the playlists are different it gives me a lot of work. For example :
- I'm playing song A on instance 1
- I want to prelisten to song B which is in the same playlist
- I need to go to instance 2, then find song B in all music, since the playlist isn't shared between instance 1 and instance 2
- Then I can prelisten song B
- Then I have to go back to instance 1 and change song B order in the playlist

So really, the question is : could we someday, with a single instance of foobar, assign playlist component 1 to output 1 and playlist component 2 to output 2 ?

Thanks for your reply.

PS : I have tried about every DJing softwre on the market (Virtual DJ, Traktor, Serato, Rekordbox, you name it). None of them even comes close to foobar in music management / custom tag handling, etc.. Let's face it : foobar is and will continue being the BEST, hands down, and once you have a properly tagged library (which is my case), it's impossible to use another software because they all suck at handling it. ALL OF THEM. So I'm sticking with foobar. I'm just missing some functionality like this "multiple outputs" thing. Other specialized software have been doing this since forever, so I hope that's not too much to ask. :) I think it's much more realistic to hope that foobar will one day have "multiple output support", than to hope that any DJ software will start handling custom tags like foobar does so well. ;)

Reply #9
Can I expect a reply here, or is it better that I open a new topic for the same thing ?...

Reply #10
OK, thanks for answering. It was nice talking to you all. I'm opening a new topic.