Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: early alpha version of xmms-wavpack plugin (Read 44374 times) previous topic - next topic

early alpha version of xmms-wavpack plugin

Reply #25
i updated xmms-wavpack for rarewares/debian.

...and i've made some changes to kuniklo's last sources and it is on my server here:
http://xmixahlx.dyndns.org/debian/source/x...0.1.orig.tar.gz

This link seems to be dead, so I have put a copy on my site:

http://www.wavpack.com/files/xmms-wavpack_1.0.1.orig.tar.gz

Xmixahlx, I really appreciate you working on this. I am wondering, does it makes any sense to add this to the WavPack sources? For Windows, I have the winamp and Audition plugins there, so there is some precedent. I suspect that we would want some way of conditionally building it because someone who wasn't specifically looking for xmms wouldn't have xmms-dev installed, or could we check for that? As you can see, I'm pretty clueless about this packaging stuff... 

Thanks again,
David

Reply #26
it would probably be a good idea to keep it in your source tree (like all the other plugins) but even now this plugin isn't complete so i'd avoid building it with the rest of wavpack on *nix

my server is up again - i was playing around with my router and i'm done now.

and david, i really appreciate your work on wavpack! thanks so much

later

Reply #27
it would probably be a good idea to keep it in your source tree (like all the other plugins) but even now this plugin isn't complete so i'd avoid building it with the rest of wavpack on *nix

Today I installed xmms and xmms-dev and tried to build the plugin in preparation for including it in the WavPack source tree (and possibly adding some stuff) but I couldn't build it. The INSTALL file specifies doing a "configure", but it isn't in there. Are there some missing files, or am I missing something? I thought I had Kuniklo's original sources, but I can't find them either... 

Thanks!

David

Reply #28

Today I installed xmms and xmms-dev and tried to build the plugin in preparation for including it in the WavPack source tree (and possibly adding some stuff) but I couldn't build it. The INSTALL file specifies doing a "configure", but it isn't in there. Are there some missing files, or am I missing something?

It's generated from configure.in with autotools, try `autoreconf -fi'.
Usually people don't include configure & co in cvs/svn repos, as it's just waste of space and bandwidth. They're put it to release tarballs though, as audience is usually wider and you can't expect everybody having autotools installed.

Reply #29
It's generated from configure.in with autotools, try `autoreconf -fi'.
Usually people don't include configure & co in cvs/svn repos, as it's just waste of space and bandwidth. They're put it to release tarballs though, as audience is usually wider and you can't expect everybody having autotools installed.

Thanks a lot, worked like a champ! 

Well, it worked after I installed g++, but I was able to figure that one out myself...

Reply #30
Cool! It would have been nice if efforts where done to make the xmms-wavpack plugin mature.

Even if it's an old and in many respects not that good a player, xmms is widespread and I think that a fully working xmms plugin is one of the prerequisites for a formats inclusion in the *nix community.
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #31
Cool! It would have been nice if efforts where done to make the xmms-wavpack plugin mature.

I agree. The major areas that need improvement are the implementation of replaygain (which is in there but doesn't work) and the handling of bitdepths other than 16. I think I can handle getting those in pretty quickly because I can use code from the new winamp plugin.

Reply #32
As an update to this topic, I have incorporated xmms-wavpack into the WavPack source tree, made some improvements, and bumped it to 1.0.2. Here are the improvements:
  • play all supported bitdepths
  • edit tags with WavPack library
  • implement Replaygain playback
  • enable visualizations & EQ
  • fix big-endian issue?
I also ran into a few problems with the build environment (not sure if it's just me or not). The first thing is that I have to do a "make clean" every time I change a source file. More troublesome is that when I do a "make dist-bzip2" it doesn't include the .h files in the src directory. I'll play around when I get a chance, but if anybody has an easy fix for these I would appreciate it.

In any event, the code is here:

http://svn.slomosnail.de/wavpack/trunk/xmms/

Thanks in advance for any testing and/or feedback! 

David

Reply #33
i'll add this to my list of stuff to do this week

later

Reply #34
Compiles, installs and work nice as far as I can see from brief testing, thanks! 

Does the "Enable Dynamic Bitrate Display" option actually do anything, or is it just a remnant from the Musepack plugin?

New libwavpack-dev dependency should be added to the INSTALL file (and mention of musepack probably removed from same file?).

Reply #35
i'll add this to my list of stuff to do this week

Thanks! 

Compiles, installs and work nice as far as I can see from brief testing, thanks! 

Does the "Enable Dynamic Bitrate Display" option actually do anything, or is it just a remnant from the Musepack plugin?

Thanks for giving it a try! The "Enable Dynamic Bitrate Display" is just a remnant and doesn't do anything now, but I think it will be pretty easy to turn back on. I also want to add the option I have in the winamp plugin to ignore .wvc files.

New libwavpack-dev dependency should be added to the INSTALL file (and mention of musepack probably removed from same file?).

Haha! I guess I never looked in that file, but yes, I'll update that...

Reply #36
rarewares/debian package is updated & working great

thanks david

later

Reply #38
I should inform I tried to install the svn source on a Debian stable (Etch) box the other day against it's libraries. It compiled and installed but did not show up in XMMS. Etch uses Wavpack 4.32 libs. I uninstalled those and installed 4.41 from source. Now xmms-wavpack installed as intended, working nice. So the versions of other dependencies (gtk, glib and xmms headers and libs) in Etch seems ok, following that it must be compiling against wavpack 4.32 that makes problems.

Reply #39
XMMS is probably fast fading away but still...

I noticed that OpenBSD have added xmms-wavpack to their ports list. However, the package are marked "no license", and the mantainer was complaining that the tarball downloaded from wavpack.com contains no licensing information. You probably should put a COPYING file of some sort in the tarball...

Regarding both the original xmms-musepack code and the wavpack code are under 3 clause BSD license I have a guess what that license could be, but then it's not up to me and I don't know... 

Reply #40
XMMS is probably fast fading away but still...

I noticed that OpenBSD have added xmms-wavpack to their ports list. However, the package are marked "no license", and the mantainer was complaining that the tarball downloaded from wavpack.com contains no licensing information. You probably should put a COPYING file of some sort in the tarball...

Regarding both the original xmms-musepack code and the wavpack code are under 3 clause BSD license I have a guess what that license could be, but then it's not up to me and I don't know... 

Actually, the copy of the xmms-musepack plugin that I saw was GPL, so I made the xmms-wavpack the same. I had a conversation with someone about this a few months ago and did create the COPYING file and put a mention in the README (or INSTALL, I forget).

However, that’s just in SVN...I will add something to the About display and package it when I release 4.60, which hopefully will not be too long.