Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mp3 Is A System File? (Read 3696 times) previous topic - next topic

Mp3 Is A System File?

My mp3's were infected with the VBS.Loveletter virus. I used McAfee ViruScan v6.0 to clean all of my mp3's and I thought everything was fine until I tried to do a few things to them (rename, convert to wav, etc.). A message comes back and tells me this is a "system file" and am I sure that I want to proceed even though the file extension is .mp3. When I try to share these as legitimate mp3's, they are not recognized as such. They won't even show up on a shared list. They continue to play fine, but this has me puzzled. I can use AlbumWrap and load them in as a "system file" and everything is fine, but if I convert them to wav and then back to a higher bit mp3 after normalizing the volumes, AlbumWrap will then refuse to accept them saying it isn't an mp3 and the file is corrupt. I don't know what's going on, but I need someone, a whole helluva lot smarter than me, to maybe offer some insight as to what's going on or HOPEFULLY a fix if there is one. Any type of help would be GREATLY appreciated on this subject and I will gladly accept any private e-mails on this as well. Thank you in advance.

Jim B.

Mp3 Is A System File?

Reply #1
This sounds like .mp3 is not the real file extension. VBS.Loveletter renames some filetypes and adds a ".vbs", for example "blabla.mp3.vbs". Go to the explorer options and turn off "Hide file extensions for known file types", this will show you their real extension so you can mass-rename them.

Mp3 Is A System File?

Reply #2
I believe that one of the other "features" of LoveLetter is to set the "system" and "hidden" attributes on these files.  To fix it, open up a command prompt (i.e. DOS window), go to the directory where your MP3s are, and type this command

attrib -s -h /s *.mp3

This will make all of your MP3s visible and non-"system" files.
It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it is.  If you don't, it's its.

Mp3 Is A System File?

Reply #4
Citay:

I already have the "hidden file extensions" turned off. I went back and redid it anyway and they are still labeled as a ".mp3" extension.

Amadeus93:

I will try to open up a command prompt and type in the info that you gave me. I hope that might work.

Thank you both for the very quick reply back to me. I really appreciate it. Hopefully I might get a fix.

Mp3 Is A System File?

Reply #5
Sawg:

I went back and downloaded the Symantec Loveletter fix and ran it. As I thought, I do not have the Loveletter Virus.

Thanks for the courteous reply to my question.

Mp3 Is A System File?

Reply #6
Amadeus93:

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Going into my directory and applying your command FIXED it. No more "system files" that are mp3's. They're all back to normal .mp3 format. Man, I relly appreciate it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim B.

Mp3 Is A System File?

Reply #7
Originally posted by boyntonjr
Going into my directory and applying your command FIXED it. No more "system files" that are mp3's.

There are probably some more remnants of this virus attack, though. See http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...veletter.a.html

And it's also best to find out how your PC was infected, so you can prevent it next time. For instance, was it through an e-mail attachment? Then install an antivirus program that can automatically scan attachments, and don't open attachments unless you are expecting one from a known person. Of course, there are more general rules for a virus-free PC, such as scanning each and every downloaded file and so forth...

Mp3 Is A System File?

Reply #8
Originally posted by boyntonjr
... but if I convert them to wav and then back to a higher bit mp3 after normalizing the volumes, ...

And why would you do THAT?!?!

Read on about transcoding mp3 files and using mp3gain, please...

Search for info in this forum, you'll find plenty.

EDIT: Of course, I don't mean to offend, you have already been given plenty enough info... But I thought I should point that detail out.

It's a widely spread myth that re-encoding mp3 files at higher bitrate increases the quality, and it's simply not true. It actually DECREASES it.

And for volume normalization, mp3gain can do that without re-encoding, so you avoid that decrease in quality.

Mp3 Is A System File?

Reply #9
Hey Kblood,

No Offense Taken. I'm fairly new at the mp3 game as far as conversions, editing, remixing, normalizing, etc. I've heard a lot of things and it's obvious that I NEED TO LEARN more. Thanks for letting me know about mp3gain. I've tried to keep up with everything, but it's obvious that I'm WAY BEHIND. All I want to do is SHARE my "Classic" rock with everyone and am looking for a fix. By the way, I only convert copies of my mp3's that I have in my library. I do this only because I have the space and the time to find the correct way of doing it through trial and error. I always keep an original because like I said before, "I'm looking for help from someone who is a HELLUVA lot smarter than I am". Thanks again from the newbie "Old Fart".

Jim B.