Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_upnp (Read 1627561 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_upnp

Reply #1800
Hi,

At first I want to say thank you for this great foobar plugin.

I use this for stereo and for multichannel tracks and all tracks are playing without problems on an Oppo BDP-93.
With one exception.
If I choose 'Playback Stream Capture' (PSC) I can't stream multichannel tracks (5.1 Ch Flac) because the plugin always tries to send stereo tracks. Chooosing the same track within the 'media library' streams without problems.

But for me it's more simple to choose the tracks within foobar and not via the Oppo GUI. Because of this I like to choose PSC.

Is it correct to say that the PSC is designed as a 2-channel stream or is there somewhere a switch which I have not recognized ?

Any ideas of what I can do to solve this problem?

Update : When reading this thread more in detail I found out that other users have the same problem.
So I think it is made by design.
Is there any chance that a future version will accept 5.1 tracks with the Playback Stream Capture ?

RYoda

foo_upnp

Reply #1801
hi

i need a download link. the link on the foobar page dont work

regard

foo_upnp

Reply #1803
Now it works, THX.

A question. Is it possible to run foobar as Windows service?

foo_upnp

Reply #1804
Is this on github? I wouldn't mind making a pull request to try and fix a few bugs that are really getting under my skin, like how it hangs then crashes foobar every time there's a hiccup in your internet connection while streaming.

foo_upnp

Reply #1805
It seems 5.1 files fail if you try to transcode to mp3:
Could not read info (Unsupported format or corrupted file) from:

Source:
Sample rate : 48000 Hz
Channels : 5: FL FR FC BL BR
Bits per sample : 24
Bitrate : 3164 kbps
Codec : FLAC

Using "Convert 5.1 to stereo" doesn't change anything.

If I try to use "Convert 5.1 to stereo" without transcoding I get a wav file that plays but it is 5 channels... So it seems the "Convert 5.1 to stereo" DSP doesn't really do anything... Or am I doing something wrong?
My poor internet connection here cannot keep up with the 3164 kbps bitrate

foo_upnp

Reply #1806
Another thing. Enabling "Convert 5.1 to stereo" forces transcoding to mp3 or decoding to wav. Would it be possible to only force this when the DSP actually does something? That is if it is stereo and only "Convert 5.1 to stereo" is enabled then supply the original file.

foo_upnp

Reply #1807

Source:

If I try to use "Convert 5.1 to stereo" without transcoding I get a wav file that plays but it is 5 channels... So it seems the "Convert 5.1 to stereo" DSP doesn't really do anything... Or am I doing something wrong?

I briefly tested streaming a 88.1/24 multichannel FLAC transcoded to 320K mp3 and it worked.
Make sure you have modified the foobar2000 streaming profile mp3 section with

- "transcode" set to "never"
- "except" set to empty string
- "lossless and" checked
- "internet" checked

This will only transcode lossless to mp3 when streaming over the Internet (uncheck "internet" if you want to test transcoding on the LAN)

Transcoding to mp3 forces stereo so there is no need  to use DSPs.

foo_upnp

Reply #1808
Another thing. Enabling "Convert 5.1 to stereo" forces transcoding to mp3 or decoding to wav. Would it be possible to only force this when the DSP actually does something? That is if it is stereo and only "Convert 5.1 to stereo" is enabled then supply the original file.

Not possible as it is not possible for the plugin to know in advance how a DSP chain is going to modify channel count, samplerate etc.
So PCM (WAV or LPCM) is always forced when there is a DSP chain associated to a profile.

foo_upnp

Reply #1809
Is this on github? I wouldn't mind making a pull request to try and fix a few bugs that are really getting under my skin, like how it hangs then crashes foobar every time there's a hiccup in your internet connection while streaming.

It is not open source thus not github.

foo_upnp

Reply #1810

Source:

I briefly tested streaming a 88.1/24 multichannel FLAC transcoded to 320K mp3 and it worked.
Make sure you have modified the foobar2000 streaming profile mp3 section with

- "transcode" set to "never"
- "except" set to empty string
- "lossless and" checked
- "internet" checked

This will only transcode lossless to mp3 when streaming over the Internet (uncheck "internet" if you want to test transcoding on the LAN)

Transcoding to mp3 forces stereo so there is no need  to use DSPs.

That is what I tried.

I get
Code: [Select]
Could not read info (Unsupported format or corrupted file) from: "XXXXXXXXXXX.mp3?profile_id=1&convert=mp3"
Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported format or corrupted file):
"http://XXXXXXXXXXXX.mp3?profile_id=1&convert=mp3"

Can I supply you with a sample file? Or how should I proceed to find the problem?

Not possible as it is not possible for the plugin to know in advance how a DSP chain is going to modify channel count, samplerate etc.
So PCM (WAV or LPCM) is always forced when there is a DSP chain associated to a profile.

May I suggest a transcoding exception then: "multichannel" or similar. Since I guess often if you stream you are using a limited device and not a full surround environment anyway.

foo_upnp

Reply #1811
Can I supply you with a sample file? Or how should I proceed to find the problem?

Yes, send me a link (bubbleguuum@free.fr) where I can download your FLAC.

May I suggest a transcoding exception then: "multichannel" or similar. Since I guess often if you stream you are using a limited device and not a full surround environment anyway.

Can you explain your exact use case (expected behaviour, streaming to what device, on which network connection, ...) ?
On the LAN, even if stereo files are streamed as PCM even if not necessary, this doesn't have an impact on SQ. It just uses a bit more bandwidth.

foo_upnp

Reply #1812
Link is in your mail.

Can you explain your exact use case (expected behaviour, streaming to what device, on which network connection, ...) ?
On the LAN, even if stereo files are streamed as PCM even if not necessary, this doesn't have an impact on SQ. It just uses a bit more bandwidth.

Right now I am streaming to foobar on another computer or through bubbleUPNP to a tablet. All through internet ATM.

I would like to stream directly if possible. Mainly to preserve tags. Of course saving precious BW is a bonus.
Only problem with this setup is multi-channel files where my BW is too low to stream. So to get tags to pass through when at all possible I would like a way to only transcode if it is needed due to BW considerations basically.
Another idea would be to transcode based on a maximum bitrate.

foo_upnp

Reply #1813
Link is in your mail.

Thanks, could reproduce the problem.

To transcode to mp3, foo_upnp must first generate a stereo PCM stream (using foobar2000 decoding APIs)  that is fed to libmp3lame.
In that scenario, it knows how to convert mono to stereo or 5.1 to stereo (using internally the "convert mono to stereo" and "convert 5.1 to stereo" DSPs),
but not any other channel count to stereo. Since your FLAC is 5 channels, it cannot convert it to stereo and fails (when console logging is enabled on the server, there's a mention of the failure). I tested with a 5.1 FLAC and that's why it worked.
This can be made to work adding the "Channel mixer" DSP in the profile to force prior conversion to stereo, but then it will force PCM on all tracks, probably not what you want from your previous messages.

short version: transcoding to mp3 is only compatible with  mono, stereo and 5.1 files unless using "Channel mixer" and its side effects (more bandwidth) are acceptable.

It can probably be fixed but I have to think more about how. Probably without relying on DSPs for converting to stereo.

Right now I am streaming to foobar on another computer or through bubbleUPNP to a tablet. All through internet ATM.

I would like to stream directly if possible. Mainly to preserve tags. Of course saving precious BW is a bonus.
Only problem with this setup is multi-channel files where my BW is too low to stream. So to get tags to pass through when at all possible I would like a way to only transcode if it is needed due to BW considerations basically.
Another idea would be to transcode based on a maximum bitrate.

Ok thanks for the details. No promise but I'll think on what can be done (which is also linked to problem above).

foo_upnp

Reply #1814
In that scenario, it knows how to convert mono to stereo or 5.1 to stereo (using internally the "convert mono to stereo" and "convert 5.1 to stereo" DSPs

As of 1.2.7, the "Convert 5.1 to stereo" DSP was replaced with the "Downmix channels to stereo" DSP which supports more channel configurations, although I don't know exactly which additional configurations that support includes (yet).

foo_upnp

Reply #1815
In that scenario, it knows how to convert mono to stereo or 5.1 to stereo (using internally the "convert mono to stereo" and "convert 5.1 to stereo" DSPs

As of 1.2.7, the "Convert 5.1 to stereo" DSP was replaced with the "Downmix channels to stereo" DSP which supports more channel configurations, although I don't know exactly which additional configurations that support includes (yet).

Thanks, this is the thing I need.

foo_upnp

Reply #1816
I can confirm that v1.2.9 works when adding "Downmix channels to stereo" as DSP.

Wouldn't it do what I need if the "stereo only" restriction in the renderer capabilities used the new DSP?

foo_upnp

Reply #1817
Update : When reading this thread more in detail I found out that other users have the same problem.
So I think it is made by design.
Is there any chance that a future version will accept 5.1 tracks with the Playback Stream Capture ?

No, as the PSC channel count must be constant as long as it is streaming to the target renderer.
Since most audio is stereo, it is forced to stereo.
If I added the ability to make it 5.1 (which I will not do), then all audio would have to be converted to 5.1.

foo_upnp

Reply #1818
I can confirm that v1.2.9 works when adding "Downmix channels to stereo" as DSP.

I have uploaded v0.99.47 on the components site.
It now uses the "Downmix channels to stereo" DSP internally when transcoding to mp3, which means all channel counts are supported.
So you do not need to add this DSP manually and some files are not forced to PCM due to the presence of the DSP chain.

Also in this new version:

- transmit composer and year in album containers (both are displayed in BubbleUPnP in album lists, in Large mode)

Wouldn't it do what I need if the "stereo only" restriction in the renderer capabilities used the new DSP?

No, this setting is only used when there is no transcoding to mp3 (which is always stereo).

foo_upnp

Reply #1819
With the new version I get:
Code: [Select]
Failed to load DLL: foo_upnp..dll
Reason: This component is missing a required dependency, or was made for different version of foobar2000.

Running foobar v1.3 b5

foo_upnp

Reply #1820
foobar 1.3b5, windows7, ntfs

Hi, I get the above message too...

I updated today within foobar after checking for updatable components.

After restarting foobar,
I now have two folders in my foobar's user-components path, named

"foo_upnp"
and
"foo_upnp."

When foobar starts, i get the message:
Failed to load DLL: foo_upnp..dll
Reason: This component is missing a required dependency, or was made for different version of foobar2000.

I cannot delete/rename the "foo_upnp." folder. (also not after a Reboot) also, I cannot go into the folder. So the "broken" component is hidden inside this folder, which I cannot delete/move, so foobar always gives the error-message at start.

For testing
I downloaded the "foo_upnp.fb2k-component" from the website and it contains a file "foo_upnp..dll"

maybe thats the failure origin ?

Any Help on how to delete this "foo_upnp." folder would be very appreceated.

foo_upnp

Reply #1821
The .fb2k-component was bad containing foo_upnp..dll instead of  foo_upnp.dll .  I've uploaded a fixed version.
You may have to remove manually foo_upnp..dll in the components dir.

foo_upnp

Reply #1822
You may have to remove manually foo_upnp..dll in the components dir.
It seems that is not possible, because I cannot delete that folder, nor can I move into that folder to delete the file.
strange!
Windows tells me, that the folder does not exists, if I try to delete or rename it (after telling me, that I should be careful to rename the extension of the folder...)

foo_upnp

Reply #1823
Same here. cannot enter the foo_upnp. folder. nor delete it.

foo_upnp

Reply #1824
Make sure to exit foobar2000 ?
Reboot ?