Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: (WavPack Problem) CRC errors (Read 8549 times) previous topic - next topic

(WavPack Problem) CRC errors

Guys, I have ripped an album with EAC, encoding with http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...EAC_and_WavPack these commandlines. I get many CRC errors in the resulting WavPacks. I don't think it is the disc because it is brand new, only played once.

So I tried using dbPoweramp, unchecking the MD5 option. The resulting files had no CRC errors, except at the end of each file, I always get a CRC error.

Why is this? What can I do to get rid of it?

Regards.

Reply #1
Try running Prime95 and see if it can run for an hour or so. It could be a hardware issue.

Reply #2
It shouldn't be a hardware issue because my computer can pass all (http://www.memtest.org/) these tests that are specifically designed to find errors.

And I can rip and encode other CDs with no problem.

ADDED: I tried encoding with the latest WavPack encoder, with the same error, then I tried with a Nero plugin, same error. Always at the end.

I can play it fine on the computer..

Reply #3
Sorry you're having trouble. 

I'm a little confused about exactly what's going on. What program is reporting the CRC errors? Do the WavPack files sound okay when you play them? Is EAC (or the other rippers) reporting any other errors? Is the disc copy protected, or funny in any other way?

I guess the next step would be to try to use EAC to rip to plain wav files and then try using WavPack to compress one of those directly. WavPack may be reporting an error at that time.

Thanks for your help in tracking this down.

Reply #4
It shouldn't be a hardware issue because my computer can pass all (http://www.memtest.org/) these tests that are specifically designed to find errors.
Memtest86 does only test your physical RAM for errors. in comparison, Prime95 performs some very resource intensive operations, stressing your whole system, mainly the CPU. so it's a good way to test overall system stability.
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Reply #5
Sorry you're having trouble. 

I'm a little confused about exactly what's going on. What program is reporting the CRC errors? Do the WavPack files sound okay when you play them? Is EAC (or the other rippers) reporting any other errors? Is the disc copy protected, or funny in any other way?

I guess the next step would be to try to use EAC to rip to plain wav files and then try using WavPack to compress one of those directly. WavPack may be reporting an error at that time.

Thanks for your help in tracking this down.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341332"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is foobar2000 reporting the CRC errors. I'm using 0.8.3, using the latest foo_wavpack..

Also, I have tried just ripping into .wav from EAC, with no errors, then using the latest command line executable to convert the .wav to .wv with the same errors.

Memtest86 does only test your physical RAM for errors. in comparison, Prime95 performs some very resource intensive operations, stressing your whole system, mainly the CPU. so it's a good way to test overall system stability.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341345"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

memtest86+ can also uncover CPU problems, which was how I found a fault in another CPU on another computer.

Anyway, I tried Prime95, and ran it for 105 minutes, completing 5 torture tests. No CPU problems were uncovered.

I also encoded the same .wav to .ape, and verified the file. Did the same with FLAC too, with no problems. If it really is a CPU related problem, then why does MAC and FLAC pass the test, but not WavPack?

ADDED: It's not to do with the foobar2000 component, becuase I actually verified the resulting .wv and it does indeed have errors. Note also that before, this computer had a 1.2GHZ CPU that could encode in wavpack fine. It could also do all the other codecs.

What I'm trying to say is that why should a faulty CPU localise the problem into one particular codec?

Reply #6
Is there any way you can send me the wav file so I can try to duplicate your problem? If possible, find the shortest track that causes the problem and maybe try to send it to me with this site. If you can compress it with FLAC that would help.

www.yousendit.com

My e-mail address is david at wavpack dot com.

Thanks.

Reply #7
It's been sent. I hope you'll find a solution. Sorry for the trouble.

Reply #8
It's been sent. I hope you'll find a solution. Sorry for the trouble.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341378"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, I'm the one who should be sorry for the trouble... 

Okay, I got the WavPack file (nice song, BTW) and have verified that it has 3 CRC errors in it. I'll take a look, but what I really need to replicate the problem is the original file (like the wav or, better, a FLAC). I tried unpacking it and recompressing, but I didn't get any errors then.

Thanks again...

Reply #9
Uploading 50MB to you now. Stand by..

ADDED: Why would unpacking and repacking fix the error? Oh, and it's a .wav I'm sending.

ADDED 2 : It's been sent. Good luck.

Reply #10
Okay, thanks, I got the wav file you sent. Unfortunately, I still could not reproduce the problem!

Also, I have tried just ripping into .wav from EAC, with no errors, then using the latest command line executable to convert the .wav to .wv with the same errors.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341352"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You say here that you ripped to wav using EAC and then used the command-line compressor and still got errors. Is that the exact same wav file you sent to me? I want to make sure that the wav file you sent me came directly from EAC and that when you use the command-line compressor on that file it generates errors (because it works fine here).

Reply #11
This is a daft thing to say, but could your encoder executable be corrupted somehow?

Reply #12
Okay, thanks, I got the wav file you sent. Unfortunately, I still could not reproduce the problem!

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341352"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You say here that you ripped to wav using EAC and then used the command-line compressor and still got errors. Is that the exact same wav file you sent to me? I want to make sure that the wav file you sent me came directly from EAC and that when you use the command-line compressor on that file it generates errors (because it works fine here).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341440"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yups, I encoded the wavpack using that very same wav file.

This is a daft thing to say, but could your encoder executable be corrupted somehow?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341491"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not when I downloaded it a few times and tried different versions. :/

Reply #13
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341499"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, that file works fine here, so I'm not sure what else I can do at this point. I have ordered the CD and should have it in a couple days and I'll test more thoroughly. There are some odd characteristics with the audio data in that track, so there might be something funny going on. But I can't make the file you sent me fail no matter what version of WavPack I try, so I have no idea yet what might be going on.

Thanks again for your help and please let me know if you find out anything else or if this happens with any other CD.

Reply #14
Suprised nobody asked this... what operating system? CPU and motherboard info wouldn't hurt either. Did you try encoding it with -h or -f just to see if it made any difference?

Reply #15
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341499"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, that file works fine here, so I'm not sure what else I can do at this point. I have ordered the CD and should have it in a couple days and I'll test more thoroughly. There are some odd characteristics with the audio data in that track, so there might be something funny going on. But I can't make the file you sent me fail no matter what version of WavPack I try, so I have no idea yet what might be going on.

Thanks again for your help and please let me know if you find out anything else or if this happens with any other CD.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341562"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wow. You're a dedicated developer. Thanks for the effort. And the CD is excellent, you won't be let down taste wise.

Suprised nobody asked this... what operating system? CPU and motherboard info wouldn't hurt either. Did you try encoding it with -h or -f just to see if it made any difference?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341569"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

(I just tried it with -f and it verified! -h just produced even more errors..)

My system specs..

I am running.. Windows XP SP2, Duron 1800, running a VIA KT333 Motherboard (the Via website is down for me).

Reply #16
(I just tried it with -f and it verified! -h just produced even more errors..)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341585"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This makes some sense. You mentioned that EAC produced a lot of errors but Nero only gave the errors at the end. I assume you used the -h in the EAC command-line and Nero only uses the default mode. You might try replacing the -h in the EAC command-line with -f and that might fix everything for you with EAC.

Of course, I still have no idea why... 

Reply #17
This makes some sense. You mentioned that EAC produced a lot of errors but Nero only gave the errors at the end. I assume you used the -h in the EAC command-line and Nero only uses the default mode. You might try replacing the -h in the EAC command-line with -f and that might fix everything for you with EAC.

Of course, I still have no idea why... 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341588"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thing is.. I am using the .wav I ripped from EAC to manually encode with the WavPack executable. I don't think the problem is that EAC is passing the wrong commands to WavPack, but in the actual coding process itself.

Reply #18
Thing is.. I am using the .wav I ripped from EAC to manually encode with the WavPack executable. I don't think the problem is that EAC is passing the wrong commands to WavPack, but in the actual coding process itself.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341599"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree. I just meant that if using -f instead of -h fixes the problem with the command-line program, it will probably fix it with EAC also.

Reply #19
This looks like a temporary solution then. Thanks.

ADDED: After you get the album, and this thread is dead, feel free to contact me via email. (Check your PM.)

Reply #20
Had the very same problem with Monkey's Audio once.

Turned out to be bad memory. Run memtest86 for a while and see if you get any errors.

Reply #21
Had the very same problem with Monkey's Audio once.

Turned out to be bad memory. Run memtest86 for a while and see if you get any errors.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341629"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That was the first thing I did after I installed the new RAM, and it found no problems. In fact, I ran the test 4 times just to be sure.