Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Add "Convert to AAC/MP3/FLAC" to "Send To" menu in Windows (Read 1431 times) previous topic - next topic

Add "Convert to AAC/MP3/FLAC" to "Send To" menu in Windows

So I have been encoding and transcoding a lot lately and opening foobar2000 every time I need to encode a single file is not time efficient.

I figured out a way to encode WAV files to AAC (or any codec/profile/bitrate you want) directly from the Windows 'Send to' menu. This works with W10 but I don't think the method is different in W7, 8 and 8.1.

Requirements: Only the encoder (exe) and the dlls (if the encoder needs them). In this example I'll use the Winamp FhG AAC encoder (fhgaacenc.exe).

[Text in the screenshots is in spanish but the process is the same for english version]

Step 1: Create a folder where the encoded files will be saved. I created a folder named "Converted" inside the "Music" folder.

Step 2: Copy the encoder (.exe) and .dll files (if required) to that folder.

Step 3: Create a shortcut of the encoder (.exe) (in the folder you just created) by right-clicking the file and then clicking on 'Create shortcut'. A shortcut will be created at this location.

Step 4: Press and hold the Windows key (between left 'Ctrl' and 'Alt') and then click R, (Win+R) to open the 'Run' window.

Step 5: Type or copy and paste "shell:sendto" and press enter. A folder will open and you'll see something like this (probably with more elements).

Step 6: Move (or cut and paste) the shortcut you created in Step 3 to the folder that just opened. You can rename the shortcut to something like "Convert to FLAC", I renamed mine to "Convert to AAC VBR6".

Step 7: Right-click the shortcut you just renamed and click on "Properties". In the highlighted text, you see the location of the encoder (.exe) and then some additional parameters  "--ignorelength --quiet --vbr 6" (you will add this later). These parameters tell the encoder how to process the file, in this example the resulting bitrate will be VBR 6. Depending on the encoder you are using, these parameters will vary, check the included documentation for more information.

Next steps assume you added the correct parameters to the shortcut.

Step 8: Right click a WAV file you want to convert (some encoders will only support 16-bit, 44,100hz, stereo files), go to "Send to" and click on the shortcut you just created. The encoded file will be saved in the same folder where the encoder is located.

Notes
This works with the Winamp FhG encoder, but it should work with most encoders.
Some encoders will overwrite files without a warning, so be careful.
You can optionally set the encoder and .dll files as hidden so that you can only see audio files in that folder.
You can add more shortcuts to the "Send to" menu, each one with a different codec or bitrate.

Hope you find this guide useful.

=)
GusNV