Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Stopping Windows 10 from taking control of audio? (Read 2053 times) previous topic - next topic

Stopping Windows 10 from taking control of audio?

I'm using Foobar2000 with my headphones plugged into the headphone output of a Thinkpad laptop.

The audio will increase and decrease in level if I open another window, open settings in Foobar, etc. I have specifically turned off this feature in Windows but it still does it.

Anyone have any other ideas for plugins I could install to bypass Windows mixer? I have an external DAC that I use "WASAPI event push Musical Fidelity V-Link" that goes to a DAC but that is only for when I am listening to speakers (no issues with volume there). I don't have a headphone amp connected to that DAC and it doesn't have a headphone output. I don't want to buy a headphone amp either since the headphone output on the Thinkpad laptop gets plenty loud enough and sounds fine.

Re: Stopping Windows 10 from taking control of audio?

Reply #1
I don't know which feature you turned off, but try turning off the one for phone calls too. I don't get this volume decrease, so I think it has to do with that setting, even though it doesn't seem directly related:

I'm using Win10 1803. Right-click the volume icon on the taskbar, and click "Sounds". Then switch to the "Communications" Tab. and Select "Do Nothing".

On other windows build you can get there by selecting "playback devices" or "recording devices" and then switching the tab.

Reply #2
I don't know which feature you turned off, but try turning off the one for phone calls too. I don't get this volume decrease, so I think it has to do with that setting, even though it doesn't seem directly related:

I'm using Win10 1803. Right-click the volume icon on the taskbar, and click "Sounds". Then switch to the "Communications" Tab. and Select "Do Nothing".

On other windows build you can get there by selecting "playback devices" or "recording devices" and then switching the tab.

Yeah I have this set to "do nothing". Thanks.

For some reason still getting the sudden increases and decreases in volume when not using WASAPI driver.

I also have "disable all sound effects" checked off in speaker properties in Windows.

Reply #3
Hi. I stumbled across this Windows 10 application (at the Microsoft Store). Will it address your needs?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/eartrumpet/9nblggh516xp

Strictly FYI, eh. 
My audio stream: *.FLAC or *.MP3 or *.ACC or *.ALAC >> PC >> (Foobar + VLC + iTunes) >> ModiMB >> SYS (<< Satellit 750 multiband radio) >> Loki >> Magni3 >> (MDR7510 + HD6XX) >> aural pickups w/ tinnitus ( = St. Lawrence Seaway SCUBA) >> CNS