Skip to main content

Topic: I want to convert all my proprietary lossless formats to FLAC (Read 616 times) previous topic - next topic

• Nott
  • [*]
I want to convert all my proprietary lossless formats to FLAC
I'm fucking tired of those proprietary formats, and I want the disk space savings and increase compatibility that FLAC offers.

However, I think I'm doing something wrong? I tried doing `ffmpeg -i sample.mkv -acodec flac -vcodec copy flac.mkv` with a DTS track, and my resulting file is 1 GB bigger! And the bit rate changed from input 16 bits to 24 bits.

What are the recommended settings? Someone recommended me to just always use -sample_fmt s16 as it's good "enough" for consumer use.

• Mark777
  • [*]
Re: I want to convert all my proprietary lossless formats to FLAC
Reply #1
I presume it is a lossless DTS-HDMA track? Personally i use eac3to to convert DTS-HDMA to FLAC (or ac3 or aac). You can set the output bitrate bit depth with this program.

Normal DTS is lossy. It would not make much sense to convert it to lossless.
Although i have noticed lossy DTS at 1536kbps is about the same bitrate as lossless FLAC(!!!). I'm thinking about converting 1536kbps DTS tracks to 320bkps AAC, which will save a lot of space.
  • Last Edit: 08 January, 2018, 03:50:41 AM by Mark777

• Nott
  • [*]
Reply #2
ac3to is windows only. And I only do stuff in bulk  :D

And in this specific case, it was a lossy DTS audio track yes.  I totally forgot DTS only was loseless! That explains the increase in size as flac tried to preserve all the information...

And If were you I would just convert to opus 5.1 @ 256 kbps. That should be transparent from the DTS track. If you wish to dowmix to 2 channels I would use opus @ 128 kbps.

I think in my case then I'll just convert DTS lossy tracks to opus, saving space at same quality and increasing compatibility which is my goal.

• Mark777
  • [*]
Reply #3
I don't think any human can hear the difference between 24bit and 16bit. Even with these very dynamic movie tracks, which tend to be quiet at times.

You will save a lot of space when using 16bit instead of 24bit when using FLAC.

• Nott
  • [*]
Reply #4
I'm not a audiophile so excuse my ignorance...but flac is lossless right? So how can it be lossless if it will lose quality converting a 24 bit input to 16 bit?

I agree the difference is likely to be impossible to notice. Is that all the settings I have to bother with flac conversion?
  • Last Edit: 08 January, 2018, 05:45:48 AM by Nott

• probedb
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
It isn't, Mark777 was just suggesting you might be able to save some space by converting to 16-bit at the same time. Feel free to keep at 24-bit.