Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Nero Disc Speed (in Linux) (Read 1527 times) previous topic - next topic

Nero Disc Speed (in Linux)

I had Disc Speed installed in Win for decades, various updates as needed.
I have WINE installed in my Linux computer already.
Where in a standard Windows system is Disc Speed installed? E.g. Program Files, Program Files (x86), etc? Often I can run directly off the Windows drive.
Or if download onto my Linux system (download folder) and click the EXE, Wine will install it in the proper .wine directory).
I can't seem to (a) find the Windows folder nor (b) install it fresh from Linux.
Linux Mint 64-bit. Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz × 8 . Kernel Linux 5.4.0-136-generic x86_64. Memory: 16GB. Mesa Intel UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2). Various external USB DACs. Schiit, Topping, etc

Re: Nero Disc Speed (in Linux)

Reply #1
On my Windows 10, 64-bit computer -

The installer I have is:
nero11discspeed-11.0.00400.exe

Installed to:
Program files (x86)/Nero\Nero DiscSpeed

The files in the folder are:
DiscSpeed.exe
DiscSpeed.exe.manifest
DriveLocker.dll
SolutionExplorer.dll
SolutionExplorerCLI.dll
unins000.dat
unins000.exe

Reply #2
Thanks.
I had XP2 before Linux and just found it (DiscSpeed.exe, in this folder):
/media/file625/2A74334C743319D1/Documents and Settings/my_user_name/My Documents/Nero_tools
Yes, it works in Linux!
Linux Mint 64-bit. Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz × 8 . Kernel Linux 5.4.0-136-generic x86_64. Memory: 16GB. Mesa Intel UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2). Various external USB DACs. Schiit, Topping, etc

Reply #3
On a more typical Linux setup (like on Linux Mint for example) Windows programs will be located...

"~/.wine/drive_c" (or /home/user/.wine/drive_c)

then at that point the basic directory structure is just like Windows is.

p.s. alternatively one can install stuff in PlayOnLinux which stores stuff in a different location... "~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix". the rest should be easy enough to figure out. I run KProbe (for doing disc quality checks) through PlayOnLinux with Wine v4.0.4 (32bit) since ASPI still works in seeing ones CD/DVD drives on this old version where as newer Wine versions don't.
For music I suggest (using Foobar2000)... MP3 (LAME) @ V5 (130kbps). NOTE: using on AGPTEK-U3 as of Mar 18th 2021. I use 'fatsort' (on Linux) so MP3's are listed in proper order on AGPTEK-U3.