Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Converting a Plextor Premium2 from IDE to Sata using a PCB Converter? (Read 946 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting a Plextor Premium2 from IDE to Sata using a PCB Converter?

Hello I recently purchased a couple of Plextors (one as a backup) so I can start making high quality audio CD's for my car and I was wondering, considering these older drives come with an IDE ATAPI interface, would it be safe to use a IDE to SATA PCB such as This one alongside a SATA external enclosure such as the Vantec NST-536S3-BK NexStar DX USB 3.0 External Enclosure? Would there be any dangers of frying/breaking something down the line because of the PCB or would it be safe? Any and all advice is appreciated, thanks!

Re: Converting a Plextor Premium2 from IDE to Sata using a PCB Converter?

Reply #1
Can't speak to that particular one but I recall using something similar many moons ago and it worked just fine; certainly didn't fry anything! ;)

Reply #2
Can't speak to that particular one but I recall using something similar many moons ago and it worked just fine; certainly didn't fry anything! ;)

Thanks for the reply! I'm just hesitant as this particular Plextor was relatively expensive to what it should be worth (which makes sense since the Premium2 is considered a "studio mastering" grade writer). I don't want to risk any incompatibility issues but it sure would be nice to have it in a shiny new USB 3.0 enclosure instead of taking apart an older external Plextor for it's IDE enclosure lol.

Reply #3
There are also inexpensive pcie IDE adapters  ~ https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/pex2ide
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #4
There are also inexpensive pcie IDE adapters  ~ https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/pex2ide

Thanks for the link! I was hoping to install this drive into an enclosure as unfortunately my PC case does not have any expansion bays for CD-ROM drives, but that's something to definitely consider.

Reply #5
For a CD/DVD writer is no need for a USB3 enclosure. A USB2-Port is fast enough. Check out eBay or any local "used" gear platform and look for external USB2 5,25" cases (most of the time incl. a cd/dvd drive) for a few.

As alternative a IDE-to-USB2 adapter incl. Molex-Power and Powersupply .
.halverhahn

Reply #6
So I ended up using the enclosure for a Plextor PX-W2410TU for my Plextor Premium2 and everything seems to be working just fine.