Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problem With 64 bit Windows 7, EAC And WMA Lossless (Read 16940 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem With 64 bit Windows 7, EAC And WMA Lossless

I have been posting questions at the EAC forum site with no real solutions being offered.  I installed the latest version of EAC (.99 prebeta 5) in Windows 7 64 Bit Professional.  I have also tried first installing the 32 bit version of Windows Media Encoder 9 Series and then the 64 bit version.  When I configure the compression options using the drop down menu in EAC, compression to WMA Lossless fails.  The DOS window opens but then immediately closes and I'm left with a WAV file.  I then tried more than one manual entry in the compression page using the "User Defined" setting.  I'm still having trouble.  Using the 32 bit version of WME 9, I believe I got a WMA Lossless file created, but the DOS box didn't close and the file properties list the file as 128 kbps even though the file size is more like a lossless file.  Does anybody know how to setup EAC properly in 64 bit Windows 7 to create WMA Lossless files from music CDs?  Please help.  I'm going crazy.

Reply #1
I have been posting questions at the EAC forum site with no real solutions being offered.  I installed the latest version of EAC (.99 prebeta 5) in Windows 7 64 Bit Professional.  I have also tried first installing the 32 bit version of Windows Media Encoder 9 Series and then the 64 bit version.  When I configure the compression options using the drop down menu in EAC, compression to WMA Lossless fails.  The DOS window opens but then immediately closes and I'm left with a WAV file.  I then tried more than one manual entry in the compression page using the "User Defined" setting.  I'm still having trouble.  Using the 32 bit version of WME 9, I believe I got a WMA Lossless file created, but the DOS box didn't close and the file properties list the file as 128 kbps even though the file size is more like a lossless file.  Does anybody know how to setup EAC properly in 64 bit Windows 7 to create WMA Lossless files from music CDs?  Please help.  I'm going crazy.

try this it should work ,unless i made a mistake somewhere:
Code:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cscript.exe

The VBS file included with EAC is more up-to-date then the default WME9 one and it allows you to add tags.

Additional command line options

Code:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Exact Audio Copy\WMCmd.vbs" -input %s -output %d -a_codec WMA9LSL -a_mode 2 -title "%t" -author "%a" -album "%g" -genre "%m" -year %y -trackno %n

Reply #2
Thanks jahpal.  I'll give that a try.  Do you think I should install the 64 bit or the 32 bit version of WME 9?  I would think the 64 bit since I'm using a 64 bit OS.  But I did find an obscure post somewhere about the 64 bit version of WME 9 not working with the 32 bit version of EAC.  I don't know if the guy was correct or not.

Reply #3
IIRC you should use C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cscript.exe with 32-bit version of WME and C:\Windows\Sysnative\cscript.exe with 64-bit version.

Reply #4
lvqcl, that seems to work!  I installed the 64 bit version of WME 9 and used your second path.  I don't understand it though.  I looked in my Windows folder and 64 bit Windows 7 doesn't even have a "Sysnative" folder.  (I am displaying all hidden and system folders.)  I have two more questions for you.

1. I guess the bitrate in the drop down menu doesn't matter when you specify a command line?  The menu is still active, but "lossless" isn't one of the choices.
2. Do you know how I would change the command line if I wanted to also compress to 192 Kbps Constant Bit Rate WMA files?

Thanks again!

Reply #6
2. Do you know how I would change the command line if I wanted to also compress to 192 Kbps Constant Bit Rate WMA files?

If you still have WMEncoder installed, there is a help file (WMEncUtil.chm) in its folder.

Basically, replace

-a_codec WMA9LSL -a_mode 2

with

-a_codec WMA9STD -a_mode 0 -a_setting 192_44_2

for 1-pass CBR, or with

-a_codec WMA9STD -a_mode 1 -a_setting 192_44_2

for 2-pass CBR

Reply #7
Thanks again lvcql!  I'm now compressing to both WMA Lossless and 192 Kbps CBR WMA files.  Perhaps you'll know the answers to two more questions.

1. Do you think the 2-pass CBR command line is actually doing two passes?  When my compression DOS box opens it clearly states "1st pass" as the percentage completed slowly increases.  But after that the box immediately closes.  It's hard to believe the 2nd pass happens instantaneously.  When I tried the 1-pass command, it seemed to take the same overall amount of time, but just didn't state "1st pass" when the DOS box opened.
2. Do you have any idea how to add comments to the WMA tags?  Under 32 bit Windows XP, when using the built in drop down menus for WMA compression, the comment I added to the ID3 Tag on the "offset" page of compression options always showed up in the WMA tag as well.  When using your "user defined" method of compressing to WMA, the comment field appears to be ignored.  Thanks!

Reply #8
for 1-pass encoding, the output contains:

Code: [Select]
.25%.50%.75%..100%.
======== Encoding Completed ========

for 2-pass encoding:

Code: [Select]
======== Begin Pass1 ========
.25%...50%.75%..100%.
======== Begin Pass2 ========
.25%.50%.75%.100%.
======== Encoding Completed ========

so I think that your encoding is really 2-pass.

About comment: try -description %e switch.

Reply #9
Thanks jahpal.  I'll give that a try.  Do you think I should install the 64 bit or the 32 bit version of WME 9?  I would think the 64 bit since I'm using a 64 bit OS.  But I did find an obscure post somewhere about the 64 bit version of WME 9 not working with the 32 bit version of EAC.  I don't know if the guy was correct or not.

x-ray i thought i would give this a try myself, since i haven't set this up in a long time to encode WMA files with the info. i gave you. now it doesn't work for me. i think i need some help myself 'cause i can get it goin, if you don't mind . THANK YOU... by the Way im on Windows 7 64 Bit & i Have installed the 64 Bit windows encoder version , Thanks...

Reply #10
IIRC you should use C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cscript.exe with 32-bit version of WME and C:\Windows\Sysnative\cscript.exe with 64-bit version.

If you still have WMEncoder installed, there is a help file (WMEncUtil.chm) in its folder.

Basically, replace

-a_codec WMA9LSL -a_mode 2

with

-a_codec WMA9STD -a_mode 0 -a_setting 192_44_2

for 1-pass CBR, or with

-a_codec WMA9STD -a_mode 1 -a_setting 192_44_2

for 2-pass CBR

I'm using the 64 bit WME instructions above for the program path.  I used your command line suggestion, although it was missing some quotes around %y and %n.  The second post above is how I changed your command line to do 192Kbps CBR files.

Reply #11
man that sysnative  i can find that in my windows , i open to view folders not even , still not working can't get it to work i know im doing something wrong .
this is what i got for compression:
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\WMCmd.vbs
additional commandline:
"C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cscript.exe" -input %s -output %d -a_codec WMA9STD -a_mode 0 -a_setting 192_44_2 -title "%t" -author "%a" -album "%g" -genre "%m" -year "%y" -trackno "%n"

Reply #12
This is my program path for 64 bit Windows 7 Professional with the 64 bit version of WME.  It makes no sense to me either since I cannot find a "Sysnative" folder in my Windows directory.

C:\Windows\Sysnative\cscript.exe

This is my command line for lossless WMA encoding.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Exact Audio Copy\WMCmd.vbs" -input %s -output %d -a_codec WMALSL -a_mode 2 -title "%t" -author "%a" -album "%g" -genre "%m" -year "%y" -trackno "%n"

All I can say is that it seems to work now!  Try pasting both of these lines exactly and give it another try.

Reply #13
no luck ,doesn't work, but ill thank you anyway...

Reply #14
When I use settings just above in EAC and try to play resulting file in foobar2000 I get the following error:

Decoding failure at 0:00.000 (IWMSyncReader::GetNextSample failed : The handle is invalid.  (0x80070006)):

Any idea how to solve this?  Thanks.

Reply #15
I don't typically rip CDs to WMA Lossless, but it bothers me when something that is supposed to work is not working.  The "WMA" files that I am creating are just stubs (~5k) so the compression isn't actually happening at all.  I am using the following compression settings in EAC V0.99pb5:

---

X Use external program for compression

User Defined Encoder

.wma

c:\windows\sysnative\cscript.exe

"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\WMCmd.vbs" -input %s -output %d -a_codec WMA9LSL -a_mode 2 -a_setting Q100_44_2_16

---

These same tracks rip and encode just fine if I copy all the files into one directory -- i.e. cscript.exe, wmcmd.vbs and test.wav into C:\TEST -- and run the conversion with all the same switches as above from the command line. However, if I point EAC to those same executables in C:\TEST using the remaining command-line options above the resulting files have the same problem.

I know I had this working on my old 32-bit XP machine, but no luck so far on 64-bit Windows 7 with 64-bit Windows Media Encoder.

Any suggestions are welcome.

P.S. I can rip the same tracks to FLAC using EAC and then, using commands similar to the above, have foobar2000 convert the FLAC to WMA and the resulting files play just fine.  It's puzzling!

Reply #16
"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\WMCmd.vbs" -input %s -output %d -a_codec WMA9LSL -a_mode 2 -a_setting Q100_44_2_16

I'm using this for he default install of 64 bit WME.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Exact Audio Copy\WMCmd.vbs" -input %s -output %d -a_codec WMALSL -a_mode 2 -title "%t" -author "%a" -album "%g" -genre "%m" -year "%y" -trackno "%n"

Notice the "Program Files (x86)" difference and the difference in "-a_codec WMALSL".

Reply #17
Solved!  The solution was to uncheck "Do not open external compressor window" in "EAC" > "EAC options" > "Tools".  Otherwise, settings above from X-ray Doc work perfectly.  Note that if and only if you use the WMCmd.vbs that installs with EAC the use of "WMA9LSL" and "WMALSL" for -a_codec both work.  Same for "WMA9STD" and "WMASTD".

Reply #18
I vaguely remember that when I first started using EAC a long time ago with Windows XP that checking "do not open external compressor window" never worked properly and I also had to leave it unchecked.  Glad you got it working!