Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: XLD Filenaming Questions (Please only answer if you're familiar in (Read 5557 times) previous topic - next topic

XLD Filenaming Questions (Please only answer if you're familiar in

Hi,

I'm using XLD to convert some AIF files to MP3. The AIF files are named (the actual file name, not the metatag): Track Number Artist-Track (i.e. 01 Nas-Heaven).

When I do the conversion, the output file looks like this: 01 Unknown Artist - Unknown Title. I already know how to specify the format of the output file name (in this instance, %n %a - %t), but the existing file name info does not transfer over to the new file.

That's what I would like it to do, if possible, but I don't know how. Renaming all of the files one-by-one is going to be a massive pain in my ass.

TIA!

Reply #1
AIFF files do not contain/support tags, so XLD has nowhere from which to get the information that you wish to transfer.

I know foobar2000’s Converter can just copy the filenames themselves straight across. Does XLD have such a facility? You’re probably best to use another program to convert if not.

Reply #2
AIFF files do not contain/support tags, so XLD has nowhere from which to get the information that you wish to transfer.

Do WAV files contain/support tags? If so, I can save my native files as WAV instead.

I know foobar2000’s Converter can just copy the filenames themselves straight across.

Could you please elaborate on this? Again, as I mentioned before, I'm not interested in copying over tag data, I'm interested in coping over file names, so it seems like this function might be what I'm looking for. Could you please expand on how it works?

Thanks

Reply #3
Do WAV files contain/support tags? If so, I can save my native files as WAV instead.
Short answer: no. Slightly more accurate answer: there are ways to tag WAV files, but relatively few applications support this (there are several threads in which this question has been discussed in the past, if you’re interested).

I know foobar2000’s Converter can just copy the filenames themselves straight across.
Could you please elaborate on this? Again, as I mentioned before, I'm not interested in copying over tag data, I'm interested in coping over file names, so it seems like this function might be what I'm looking for. Could you please expand on how it works?

Reply #4
Set the output File name pattern to %filename%.

Perhaps other users know of different programs that can transfer the filename in the same way. Not that foobar2000 is difficult to set up, and doing so would open all manner of other possibilities.

Yeah, I tried that %filename (the naming convention in XLD doesn't use a second "%") and it spit out gibberish, so no go on that, but a good idea though. I'm going to try to investigate different naming structures with XLD more.

As for Foobar2000, as i said in my initial post, I'm on a Mac.

Thanks anyway.

Reply #5
As for Foobar2000, as i said in my initial post, I'm on a Mac.
Wow, how did I miss that? Sorry!

If XLD had such a field, my guess for its name would be %f, but your reading should answer the question either way.

Reply #6
If you select 'Default' for Format of filename, XLD names the output file the same as the input file.

Reply #7
my god! i cannot believe the solution was so simple!!! your a g.d. genius. i typically always adjust the filename field and never go with default, but in this instance it's exactly what i needed. thanks!