Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Equalizer Presets (Read 5215 times) previous topic - next topic

Equalizer Presets

Are there any plans to add a feature for loading equalizer presets?

Thanks

Re: Equalizer Presets

Reply #1
Yes, this would be nice.

Funny, I looked at the equalizer myself just the other day for the very first time as a DJ mix I was playing needed to audio help lol, but no presets exist / none can be saved. So yeah, definitely a welcome feature.

Reply #2
I'd like to revive this particular feature request, the ability to save DSP equalizer settings as presets would be extremely helpful. If you have several different headphone/earbud models that require different EQ adjustments you know what i mean. Right now i use smartphone screenshots of these various settings.

Reply #4
I also think this would be a perfect addition to the app.

Reply #5
I also second this. It is quite a long process to tweak  with precision the EQ, so being able to save and restore presets would be really useful.  :)

Reply #6
Over the course of nearly 4 years, about 3900 views and 7 replies. Hmm. Guess we're a minority?
---------

But, me and all.

If Peter and whoever is working on fb2k mobile put up the sources, I'm sure many would help, maybe even fully implement this for everyone's use with no effort on the dev's part other than checking it in and testing it. Everyone has different skills, and some are experienced dalvik/xcode devs, others system and driver level coding... and some of those are motivated and have ample amounts of free time! :-) Yes I get that some might steal it and compile it with a new name and try to make money off it, so you might want to be picky about who you let have access, but things like a 10-minute phone call and a signed NDA or whatever makes you feel you can retain control, isn't that much of a hurdle for anyone that truly wants to help.

As our libraries grow, We NEED... not want, not wish for, but truly need, this. Hey I'm old, my library is 95% FLACs I've ripped from my own 6000-ish CD media library, but even I have files in a dozen formats that range from total crap quality but it's the only recording of it in existence, to pristine HD Res, and everything in between: low-bitrate MP3s, SACD and HDCD 24/96 rips (yes I bought into it, Betamax Syndrome all over again), music service downloads, audio tracks ripped out of videos, etc. And while ReplayGain is great and all, volume normalization doesn't tailor recordings to your ear, your listening gear, or help correct crap mics in live recordings, poorly mixed or downright bad recordings. The average 30-something probably has an extremely wide variety of mess they call "audio" compared to me, being born in a time when album format music was not as much of a thing as those who are 60+

Still, we do need EQ preset saves, with granularity (is 0.1dB resolution enough?), stored in a simple manner, perhaps a text format.

But what would drive people to fb2k mobile and re-ignite the drooling like when we first found out there would be a mobile version?

* auto applied per-track DSP/preamp/equalization presets, stored in custom tags, loose files, preset folders, etc.
* auto applied per-album DSP/preamp/equalization presets, stored in custom tags, loose files, preset folders, etc.
* re-nameable presets, or a base set of write-protected ones that can be copied/cloned as starting points.
* preamp auto-adjusting to amplify/attenuate, to compensate for EQ adjustments that would cause low signal/clipping.
* ???

Listening to some crunchy metal with a good metal curve /w bass boost, but that album ends, and a mono Beatles album comes on, and the app turns on phase-correct stereo spatializer, adjusts the EQ to RIAA preset vinyl rips and applies a ton of gain, then applies your per-headphone curve?

Can you imagine? I can! Hands-free, phone in your pocket, just does it for you automatically because that's how you configured it. No more wasting battery running a system-wide parametric EQ you gave dump permissions to and always forget to close (besides never having read the source). No in-app begging. No unwarranted permissions granted to something that doesn't need it. And a feature set that, to those who understand the necessity of, would switch in a hot second!

Perhaps 2 EQ settings, one for ReplayGain'd and one for not? Perhaps 3, why not? Maybe a "output device" preset, for each headphone/BT speaker or "playing to" device profile, maybe even by output or protocol? For example many are using Bluetooth; in a 16-bit/44.1kHz stream, sub-40Hz bass and treble over 14-15kHz is just non-existent over SBC or AAC and many portable phones couldn't reproduce either end of the spectrum anyway, but LDAC 990kbit Quality mode goes up to Nyquist frequency for those of us using BT DAC/Amps, and even aptX HD tries to be "better", though that's just for Androids I think.

That might result in needing some complex math, having to merge intelligently, so maybe a simple subset approach - an output device "profile" EQ and then a per-track/album adjustment "preference" EQ tweak? That way, differences like switching from over-ear cans with single large-diaphragm drivers to multi-driver BA/DD IEMs to line out for throwing signal at your home amp setup or your friend's BT-connected HDTV -> stereo at a party, tracks could maintain their musical preference tuning, while setting the headphone/output curve independently? This could be simple value addition/subtraction, and for signal processing be done in one pass.

I'm just thinking aloud. It could be discussed with those here who already love fb2k mobile but are using other players out of necessity because this has been a obstacle for a long time now. But it would be UNIQUE and no one else is doing it.

I love fb2k mobile but once you use a fuller-featured media player or external system-wide EQ app that implements custom presets, it's quite frustrating to go back to fb2k mobile. I find myself skipping tracks/albums that don't "play well" with the current EQ I have set, instead of adjusting it, because it's a pain, and the touchscreen sliders quite difficult to quickly and accurately adjust on-the-fly if you're walking down the street or riding the jostling subway.

Reply #7
Another one interested on this feature too, also another feature that we can control the play time.