Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 auto tagging software (Read 68517 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 auto tagging software

Hi everyone:
Lately I've been searching for a good, free mp3 tool that has an option to auto tag your mp3s.
These I've downloaded:
Dr Tag
MP3/Tag Studio
YAMT
K-MP3
MBTagger
Moosic
Power Renamer
I've tried them and I can't get with them, so I'm asking you if you know a good, easy to use fast mp3 auto tagging program.
I have more than 800 mp3s that I need to check, so I can't do it manually.

Thanks
PS: sorry if this was aksed before, I did a search but too much topics came up and I didn't have the time to take a look at them.

Reply #2
I have both of programs.
foobar2000 I uninstalled it a time ago and mp3tag I'm still using but it works slow and everytime I save a tag I have to shut down the program through the task manager 'cause it gets stuck. I tried to get a connection to freedb through mp3tag and it doesn't work.
Have any alternative? or any useful advice.
What about mp3/tag studio? I haven't installed it, but the description sounded really good when I read it.

Thanks
edit: I wish the program worked fine and I could have a connection to freedb.
Then I wouldn't have any problem, but my pc is loaded and the program also isn't that fast, so it's impossible to use it.

Reply #3
You could visit the MP3Tag forums for feedback.

The reason why saving might take much time is that you are probably using ID3v2 tags. If a file does not contain any ID3v2 tag, or the ammount of data you wish to write is larger than the padded space available, the whole file needs to be rewritten as ID3v2 tags are placed at the beginning of the file, rather than at the end (like APEv2 or ID3v1).
As for your freedb problem - maybe you have a firewall which blocks access to the freedb server or maybe you are using a server which isn't online.

Reply #4
Have you tried using MusicBrainz? It can do full automatic tagging in a lot of cases, by attempting to figure out what the song is using music signatures and such. www.musicbrainz.org

As for me, I usually use Tag&Rename to tag my music. www.softpointer.com

Reply #5
Well, thanks for the help.
I'm gonna try it out and see what happens.
I'll write the results when I can.

Thanks

Reply #6
Have you tried using MusicBrainz? It can do full automatic tagging in a lot of cases, by attempting to figure out what the song is using music signatures and such. www.musicbrainz.org

As for me, I usually use Tag&Rename to tag my music. www.softpointer.com
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=241229"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, I tried it but since I have plenty of mp3s it takes a while to check them all.
I'm gonna try it again and see the results, as well as with mp3tag and if all this doesn't work I'm gonna try mp3/tag studio. It sounds a good program so I'm gonna check it out.

Thanks both of you 

Reply #7
I'd suggest trying out tagscanner.  Before I discovered foobar2000, I used this tagger.  It worked flawless for me.

Reply #8
heh old thread...ever try mp3scrub? did a decent job IDing my collection

Reply #9
taghycardia can be used to auto tag massive mp3 libraries. This little free app even includes auto cover art download (it can use locally found art for the auto tagging, too). No java or .net required, so -  highly compact.

So I've turned a zombie thread into a Phoenix bird thread