Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: best CD you own that is totally unknown (Read 38549 times) previous topic - next topic

best CD you own that is totally unknown

Reply #75
Imputor - Six Records Breaks Your Heart Again (compilation)
Struktur - Red Zero Seven (compilation)
地獄

Reply #76
Dunno about unknown, but not too commonly listened to:

Robert Johnson - ...I Went Down To The Crossroads

'They're Red Hot' is a real classic.

Reply #77
Weakling - Dead As Dreams

absolutely brilliant raw, nasty, dirty black metal that not even alot of hardcore black metal fans know about.

Reply #78
Do Make Say Think (saw them live last night, brilliant)
Berg Sans Nipple (supporting DMST last night!)
Calexico
Skip James
Mountain Goats
Liars
Interpol

anything by the above named artists will do nicely for starters

Reply #79
'They're Red Hot' is a real classic.

My son loved that one the moment he heard it.  He danced until he puked.  Good song for a 2YO.

He also likes Blind Lemon or Leadbelly doing "black snake moan."
Gur svggrfg funyy fheivir lrg gur hasvg znl yvir. Jr zhfg ercrng.

Reply #80
I do own the "Sheila EP" from the band "Cassiopeia". It isn't even a pressed CD: i bought it by email-order and got a non-automatically written email from one of the band members. about a week later, i had a manually burned and laballed sheila EP in my collection

Their style is probably best described when comparing them to "Fields Of The Nephilim" - Cassiopeia do sound quite similiar, yet still a bit more chilling and atmospheric than the nephilims.

www.cassiopeianet.de

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #81
Sarah K. - Water Falls
Allan Taylor - Colour To The Moon
Isildurs Bane - Mind Vol. 1 + 2

Reply #82
Great thread! There's much stuff to explore here.  (Though I have heard of much of the stuff mentioned - either I know a LOT about music or the stuff listed is not "totally unknown". )

My absolute favourite "unknown" artist is baterz, who sadly passed away last year. I highly recommend people here check out his single "Goth", which managed to get some airplay on the national "youth" radio station here in Australia. It can be downloaded from his website.

.dd.

Reply #83
While not totally unknown, these five acts are virtually unknown to all but a select few.. They so deserve a much bigger audience!

Genocide Organ - Remember (ok, it's a vinyl set.. but my God there are some powerful moments in here! strong industrial stuff at its peak)
Anenzephalia - s/t (magical live performance from Sweden by this obscure act.. amazing dark ambient industrial.. must-have)
Janitor - Receiving A Flower On Mother's Day (superb dark ambient from one of Sweden's finest!)
In Slaughter Natives - s/t (seminal debut album, available on Staalplat or CMI. Apocalyptic, symphonic industrial at its peak!! This is a real must-have)
Puissance - Total Cleansing (this is simply wonderful. buy it now!)

Check out www.tesco-distro.com for more info on first three bands, www.coldmeat.se or staalplat.com for ISN, http://www.puissance.org/ for Puissance...

Enjoy!

Reply #84
Good CD - "Ben Kweller - Sha Sha" (Don't know if he is considered "unknown" or not, I've never heard him on the radio - found out about him from a friend....) - I'm very impressed with the album in general. Some tracks are to "pop" for my tastes, but tracks like "In Other Words" and "Lizzy" just blow me away....

Best CD - "David Bromberg - Wanted Dead Or Alive" - Just good, and different.

Reply #85
Fallen To's Demo CD. Don't know how unknown this is at the US, but at least no one has heard of them here in Finland  It's even impossible to find their full albums on stores here, and I'm not a big fan of buying stuff online from other countries :/

All CDs by SubUrban Tribe (a great finnish band, don't know if anyone else than all the finns around know them)

Reply #86
I would recommend:

I Mother Earth - "The Quicksilver Meat Dream", "Blue Green Orange", or "Scenery and Fish"
The Mars Volta - "De-Loused in the Comatorium"
Sparta - "Wiretap Scars"

Reply #87
Probably Either:

Lawnmower Deth - Oooh Crikey.... it's Lawnmower Deth (excellent British deth metal with a killer sense of humor)

cover: http://www.shipley.ac.uk/north/deth/LDOoohbig.htm
comprehensive Lawnmower Deth site: http://www.shipley.ac.uk/north/deth/

or
Lara and Reyes - Riverwalk  (excellent latin guitar)
http://www.guitar9.com/riverwalk.html
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. - Richard P. Feynman

Reply #88
I'm going to try to include a variety of genres here, focusing on recent releases by relatively unknown artists. I encourage you all to listen to these, and welcome your feedback.

Coil - Musick to Play in the Dark Volume 1
This album is probably the most well-known on my list, and I hesitated about including it, but it's just brilliant. I don't have enough words for it, and I'm not even going to try to describe it. A note - If you buy/download it and you're not totally blown away, try actually listening to it in the dark. It's better that way, I promise.

Detritus - Endogenous
This is a debut album, I'm almost certain. Fantastic post-industrial noisy breaks layered on top of orchestral strings and pads. Sounds vaguely like Gridlock/Dryft, but a lot more deliberate and moody. And, it's solid the whole way through.

Manibus - Escape
Another debut album, by a young twenty-something guy from Serbia. It's techno/psytrance, and not terribly innovative, but if you're a fan of the genre it might be the best album you hear all year. None of that silly over the top crunching organic madness (GMS?), just solid melodies, good structure, and a nice dark feel to it.

Hellfish and Producer - Bastard Sonz Of Rave
Hardcore techno, but not that cheesy rotterdam 'Army of Hardcore' stuff. This is intelligent, well-produced electronic madness at 180BPM. Fantastic use of samples, melodies, breakbeats, tempo changes, without falling into incoherent noise. Much more listenable than Neophyte/Alec Empire/ATR.

Imminent Starvation - Nord
Thick noise-based techno/industrial. This album is, for me, the defining powernoise album. I'm always impressed when an artist manages to coax music out of unconvential sounds, and Nord is one of the finest examples of a musician working in this field. Complex, harsh, driving, brilliant.

This Morn' Omina - Le Serpent Blanc ~ Le Serpent Rouge
A double-cd from a band that describe themselves as 'ritual trance music'. Very tribal and industrial-ish, once CD is heavier dancefloor-friendly material, while the other is ambient/atmospheric. One of the best albums I've heard this year, and probably one of the most accessible on this list.

I could go on and post another dozen albums easily, but these are the ones off the top of my head. If anyone finds this list remotely helpful, let me know and I'll gladly write up some others.

Reply #89
Augie March are a top band you probably havnt heard of if you don't live in Australia (I think they are touring UK, Europe and maybe US sometime soon though)
Their first album, 'Sunset Studies' is tops, and 'Strange Bird' (their latest release, which is I think available in US/UK) is absolutely stunning. I beg you to try to get hold of some of their stuff for some fine, higly acclaimed and very original melodic folk/rock with fantastic lyrics.

Also, any of the CD's that Jerry Garcia (from the Greatful Dead) and Dave Grisman did together are really worth a listen.

EDIT:
Just found some tour dates for Augie March (no they dont pay me to do this) GO SEE THEM IF YOU CAN!

NOV 1 DUBLIN, VICAR STREET, SUPPORTING THE 4 OF US

NOV 3 LONDON,THE GARAGE HEADLINE SHOWCASE

NOV 7 NYC USA, THE MERCURY, SHOWCASE SUPPORTING THE BLUETONES

NOV 10 SAN FRANCISCO TBC

NOV 11 LA, THE TROUBADOUR, SUPPORTING COSMIC ROUGH RIDERS

Reply #90
Fennesz - Feild Recordings
I-F - Fucking Consumer
地獄

Reply #91
ciao..

well. let me throw some norvegian albums out there..
i guess most of them are "unknown" to most of you.

motorpsycho = demon box  http://motorpsycho.fix.no/
turboneger = Apocalypse Dudes  (http://www.turbonegro.com)
gåte = EP  (http://www.gaate.no/ny/main.asp?l=eng)

my last "suprise buy" was: (eng. produced in 92.)
sheep on drugs.. different sound..image. consept..
but still.. you can place the in the same category as
chumbawamba. as for class concerned.

Reply #92
Superskunk - Planeta Azul Some spanish stuff, but they would also qualify as a very rare and unknown band inside Spain  Mixture of metal, funk, hip hop and more styles thrown in, and it sounds great.

One Minute Silence - Available in All Colours and Buy Now, Saved Later British nu-metal band with lots of political declarations on their lyrics.

Sôber - Synthesis More spanish stuff, their music is similar to Tool, voice is different though.

Buckcherry - Buckcherry I don't know how much unknown they are, but I think they are worth a mention.

Reply #93
I guess most audiophiles aren't into electronic music, eh?
地獄

Reply #94
If you're into Buckethead you no doubt have heard of ZILLATRON and PRAXIS.  An amazing klezmer CD from John Zorn is Masada, and anything featuring JOEY BARON on drums will blow your mind.

Some artists I really like that I downloaded from EMusic before the 40track/mo. cap:
MIKE JACKSON AND THE SOUL PROVIDERS
MONSEIUR LEROCK
MONEY MARK
RL Burnside
Daktaris
Pharohs
The Brooklyn Funk Essentials

Happy Shopping!

Reply #95
ck-don't know much about the brooklyn funk essentials, except that "I got cash" may be the most entertaining thing i've listened to in a long time, great call.

Reply #96
I don’t think totally unknown.
But not known in general. 

1976 - Pavlov's dog - Pampered menial
If you become used to the high male voice you will love this progressive rock album.

2000 - Boards of Canada - In a beautiful place out in the country (EP)
Electronical music with strange samples, a little bit creepy, very interesting to listen to.
The last album Geogaddi was to creepy for me, removed it from my HD.

2003 - The afro-celt sound system - Seed
Traditional music from Africa and Ireland mixed.

1995 - Fila Brazillia - Mess
1996 - Fila Brazillia - Black market gardening
1997 - Fila Brazillia  - Luck be a weirdo tonight
1998 - Fila Brazillia  - Power clown
1999 - Fila Brazillia  - A touch of cloth

Nice dance music with acoustic sounding samples, or is it real acoustic?
The last album Jump leads from Fila Brazilia I didn’t like.

Almost all albums form:
Gus gus
Nightmares on wax

Reply #97
Christ - Pylonesque (benbecula)
Venetian Snares - 2370894
Amon Tobin - Supermodified Ninja Tune
地獄

Reply #98
Sparks - Kimono My House

Gur svggrfg funyy fheivir lrg gur hasvg znl yvir. Jr zhfg ercrng.

Reply #99
It's always hard to tell if the unknown in your part of the world is a buster in other regions...so my recommendations are the following:

- Nathaniel Merrieweather - Lovage-Music to Make Love To Your Old Lady By: It's the band leader from the "Gorillaz" but the music is quite different; VEEERY sexy!

- Kaizers Orchestra - Ompa Til Du Dør (2003) : They're pretty well known (a hitmachine) in Norway but here in Germany they're totally unknown. They do Norwegen lyrics in a rock/pop style. I listend to them on a festival and now...phuuu.Just great drums!

- Xaver Fischer Trio - Xavier Fischer Trio (1999): Austrian or German Trip Hop, very chilly

- BangBang - Je T'Aime Je T'Aime (1999): Nice'n'Smooth, a bit like AIR and a great cover! [maybe not that unknown]

That has to be enough for now because I need some sleep!

Good night out there!

JD