Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Which of the following is your favorite Pink Floyd album?

The Piper at the Gates Of Dawn
[ 0 ] (0%)
Ummagumma
[ 1 ] (1.1%)
Atom Heart Mother
[ 3 ] (3.4%)
Meddle
[ 4 ] (4.6%)
Dark Side Of The Moon
[ 20 ] (23%)
Wish You Were Here
[ 24 ] (27.6%)
Animals
[ 8 ] (9.2%)
The Wall
[ 19 ] (21.8%)
The Division Bell
[ 5 ] (5.7%)
Something else I didn't have space to include...
[ 3 ] (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Topic: What is the best PF album? (Read 13688 times) previous topic - next topic

What is the best PF album?

Reply #25
What was Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Groovin' With A Pict about? When I heard it I thought maybe Syd had made a comeback...
Happiness - The agreeable sensation of contemplating the misery of others.

Reply #26
I'm a Wish you where here fan, in fact it was one of the first CD's I bought in the 80's.

Reply #27
Favorite cover...Shine On only got 1% (so far) of the votes!!!  That's the coolest cover of them all!!!  (even though I only saw it for the first time yesterday.)

Right, only the initiated ones know about it.

The history behind that cover is pretty interesting. I suggest you buy Storm Thorgerson's Mind Over Matter.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ce&s=books&st=*

(Before you ask: Yeah, i have it too)

ABSOLUTELY!!!  And a Led Zeppelin section, too.  And The Police.  And The Beatles.

And of course, then they'll need a "Musical Groups/Artists Forum Administrator".  Someone with a multitude of knowledge/interest in at least one of the most popular groups.  I vote for Roberto!  (Unless he'll be spread too thin with that *and* Rarewares *and* developing CDex.)   

Hehe. I don't develop CDex anymore. (Although I'm still admin for it)

But no, you guys won't catch me dead rejoining the moderator team. Got my share of Stress...  (as Jan recently did)

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #28
A great CD that is dismissed as a Roger Waters solo album by most Floyd fans; The Final Cut.

Reply #29
Favorite cover...Shine On

What's so special about it? My vote went to the Delicate Sound of Thunder cover.

Glad to see someone else who likes The Final Cut 

Reply #30
Something like preventing the engine from rendering more than 3 smileys per post. :B

I'll just switch to ASCII drawing!
  Muhahaha!
  Damn, never mind the formatting precludes it   

Reply #31
Animals, by far.  Long extended compositions that represent the height of Floyd's instrumental creativity (as opposed to sound effect creativity - Dark Side of the Moon, Ummagumma -, or lyrical creativity - The Wall - which is obviously eclipsed on other albums)

I also have a soft spot for Meddle (though I'm not fond of the feature-length Echoes) and DSOTM is right up there.  The rest I own, but I find myself not listening to that much.  Especially the post-Waters stuff which reaches and crosses the threshold into pretentiousness on nearly every track.

Reply #33
the only Pink Floyd song I have listened to in the past 15 years that I can remember is that one with the "We Don't need no education..." line

Reply #34
the only Pink Floyd song I have listened to in the past 15 years that I can remember is that one with the "We Don't need no education..." line

Another Brick In The Wall (Pt. II) from The Wall Album
rpop:
        I like "The Final Cut" album very much, too
MPC: --quality 10 --xlevel (v. 1.15s) (archive/transcoding)
MP3:  LAME 3.96.1 --preset standard (daily listening/portable)

Reply #35
that was in opposition to wish you were here, i meant there is an intention in the music, it's not just "coool".

If by "intention in the music" you mean that the album has a cohesive theme, then Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, and The Final Cut all fall in that category.  Maybe even The Divison Bell, too.

Reply #36
I thought Id be the only one for voting for The Division Bell.

In fact, I thought I would have been blocked.

But lo, it is in rjamorim's top 3!

Reply #37
For me: Wish You Were Here > Dark Side Of The Moon > The Wall > Animals > Meddle

(yes, I'm a fan of the 70's albums    )
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #38
For me:

1) Wish You Were Here
2) Dark Side of The Moon
3) The Division Bell

I think The Division Bell is an excellent album. Though a lot of people don't seem to like it.
-- Floydian Slip

Reply #39
Yay! More votes for The Wall.

Reply #40
1) Wish You Were Here
2) Atom Heart Mother
3) Dark Side Of The Moon
4) Division Bell
5) The Wall
6) Animals

for the rest i don't have a particular order although i also like them alot

Reply #41
1) Animals
2) The Final Cut
3) The Division Bell
4) Obscurred By Clouds
5) The Early Singles
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #42
I voted for Wish you were here.

Actually I'm pretty surprised to see it being the winner so far. I would have thought Dark side of the moon or The Wall would be most people preferred PF LP.

Reply #43
Yay! More votes for The Wall.

the wall is an album you either adore or dislike. at least thats the experience i made with many other pink floyd fans. sure not everybody loves or dislikes it  (i like it also although i don't think this is the best pink floyd album ever)

to dislike an pink floyd album for a pink floyd fan still means to love it if you know what i mean

Reply #44
I like "The Final Cut" album very much, too

All Argentinians should love The Final Cut. It was a libel against the Falklands war.

Reply #45
Who's pink floyd, seriously?  I've heard the name before and that's about it.  Should I be listening to them?  I'm 18 BTW, and I generally listen to alternative rock, or nu-metal, but that's not really a genre.  B)

Reply #46
All Argentinians should love The Final Cut. It was a libel against the Falklands war.

I didn't know that - pray tell...?

Though I must warn you i'm English... 

Anyways, I wouldn't have a clue about my favourite album, though my favourite track has to be Mother. I've never given each *whole* album a good listen to, though I have heard them all at some point.  Problem is that I generally listen to PF while stoned which limits my ability to remember what was good...

My best friend Alex introduced me to them, but most other friends don't 'get' PF, so we end up playing other things when a crowd is here, which is a shame. Some PF is the most moving music i've heard, but some of it (to the unitiated) sounds like a 1960's version of Moby   

Though my favourite gig *ever* has to be Roger Waters (fraid I never got to see PF) at Glastonbury last year. He had the full surround sound setup at the Pyramid field, which can cope with a crowd of 90,000 people. There was a lot of kerfuffle because other bands (like Super Furry Animals) wanted to use the surround kit, but he stipulated that only he should use it which seemed a bit anal, but it did make his set sound that much better. Even better was the fact that as he played the last note of the last tune, me and the girlfriend came up for air after having a bit of a romantic moment to see Alex look at us and throw up...

I would love to see RW get back in the fold, it's about time but he's a bit of an arrogant arse and it's not going to happen. Ah well.

Reply #47
I can't decide! 

I do like the Final Cut, alot. Hated it when I frist bought it but grew to love it years later ..
daefeatures.co.uk