Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Template pages (Read 5607 times) previous topic - next topic

Template pages

I am trying to add some templates to make the editor's life easier. Most of the code I am taking from wikipedia and tweaking it myself.
So far I included a talkheader template to be used on talk pages.
Now I am trying to add an Infobox Software template that should look more or less like this.
The idea is to use it in software related pages because I believe we do not need to reinvent the wheel.
However for the life of me I cannot make it work. I get this shitty formatting on the template page and cannot figure out what is wrong.....
I am really frustrated because the freaking wiki language  is everything but intuitive: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Advanced_templates and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Template

If anyone could give me some hints I would appreciate.

Template pages

Reply #1
I am really frustrated because the freaking wiki language is everything but intuitive:

I noticed your ideas for a template and it looks great. I will read through it when I have more time, yes it can be a real PITA. 
budding I.T professional

Template pages

Reply #2
I finally got the infobox template working.  Bloody wiki language.... 
Check the foobar2000 wiki page. I am really proud of myself.   
Maybe we could have something similar for foobar components as well....

Template pages

Reply #3
I finally got the infobox template working.  Bloody wiki language.... 
Check the foobar2000 wiki page. I am really proud of myself. 
Maybe we could have something similar for foobar components as well....

Now figuring out a way to intergrate them into software application pages haha, the 150+ that exist. Good job with the template.  Is there anyway to make the software box smaller so that the screenshot doesn't take up the entire page?
budding I.T professional

Template pages

Reply #5
@beto: I found out how to give space around the infoboxes!

Check out the Software Infobox template for an example.

Basically, you have to enclose the table used for making the Infobox inside another table, i.e.

Code: [Select]
{| align="right" style="padding-left: 15px;"
|
<<Enclosed table>>
|}

I think you also must remove any align attributes from within the enclosed table.

PS: I only change the template for the Software Infobox, for the other Infoboxes that you create... I'll let you modify them

Template pages

Reply #6
Thank you for that sir. I didn't think about enclosing the table within a table. I used your suggestion in other infoboxes I created.

Template pages

Reply #7
There's now a heckuva lot of templates in the HA wiki... can someone enumerate what they are and what they're supposed to do... ?

Template pages

Reply #8
special:allpages, filter by templates. Some are self explanatory, here's how to document the rest:

<noinclude>
== Usage ==
blah blah blah
</noinclude>

Proposing a tackforce to document them.
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

Template pages

Reply #9
*yawn* I started giving them descriptions... but too sleepy to carry on...