Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Omni Encoder 1.0 Released (Read 273232 times) previous topic - next topic

Omni Encoder 1.0 Released

Reply #200
Aw crap... i know what the problem is too... i stopped using temporary art files and instead read it in as a bitmap right in memory.... but when I write it back out, i don't think its recompressing. doh! I'll look at it soon.

Actually, you should not decompress and recompress lossy jpeg files. Is it not possible to maintain the original image quality?

Reply #201
Aw crap... i know what the problem is too... i stopped using temporary art files and instead read it in as a bitmap right in memory.... but when I write it back out, i don't think its recompressing. doh! I'll look at it soon.

Actually, you should not decompress and recompress lossy jpeg files. Is it not possible to maintain the original image quality?

Its a good point. I should probably just be storing the jpeg as a byte array or something, instead of reading it in to an image (bitmap) object.

Reply #202
There seems to be a pretty severe bug which has existed for several versions and is still present in 1.4.2 on Windows XP SP2.  When trying to convert tracks from two different folders (adding them to the list with "Add Folder"), when it hits the files from the second folder, rather than decoding them, Omni Encoder stalls and returns:

An error occurred while writing the track:
filenameoftrack

(with "filename of track" replaced with the actual filename, that is)

...and everything stops.  It is very annoying trying to transcode 400-some files only to be stopped every 10, remove the first folder's contents from the list, and start again.

Edit:  Correction.  It's when the destination folder changes.

Reply #203
There seems to be a pretty severe bug which has existed for several versions and is still present in 1.4.2 on Windows XP SP2. When trying to convert tracks from two different folders (adding them to the list with "Add Folder"), when it hits the files from the second folder, rather than decoding them, Omni Encoder stalls and returns:

An error occurred while writing the track:
filenameoftrack

(with "filename of track" replaced with the actual filename, that is)

...and everything stops. It is very annoying trying to transcode 400-some files only to be stopped every 10, remove the first folder's contents from the list, and start again.

are they one different drives? Could you give me some path examples?

Reply #204
are they one different drives? Could you give me some path examples?

I'm attempting to do Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, which has three different composers, changing from song to song.  When I attempt to use the third option ("Create a tag-based folder structure in..."), it'll decode everything by the first Artist and convert fine, then hang up when it starts on the second.  It creates the first and second Artist's destination folder fine, but then doesn't want to decode the second Artist's songs. 

The source folder is the same for the entire album.

I'm trying to transcode from FLAC to Apple AAC (though this problem occurs during any transcoding), from H:\Lossless Discographies\Castlevania\Akumajo Dracula -Gallery of Labyrinth-\ to C:\Castlevania\Michiru Yamane\Akumajo Dracula -Gallery of Labyrinth\ (first Artist) and C:\Castlevania\Yuzo Koshiro\Akumajo Dracula -Gallery of Labyrinth-\ (second Artist).

Like I said...it'll do Yamane just fine, but then when it hits Koshiro's tracks, it hangs and won't decode.  Bizarre.

Edit: Correction.  It did the same thing at the same time when I chose "Mirror the Source Location(s) to...", which leads me to believe it's whenever anything changes other than the Title field.  (That is...it worked fine doing all the Yamane tracks, but then returned the error when Koshiro came up.)  I can run some experiments if you want me to test different situations or anything, just let me know what.

Reply #205
Does this program support unicode?

Reply #206
I have the same problem on any multiple artist cd's omni encoder fails when the artist changes.  You can delete the songs that have already been encoded and start again and it works.  However on a compilation cd that doesn't work to well.

Reply #207
Does this program support unicode?

No. Well, technically MY code all supports unicode, but i'm calling command-line programs which don't.

Version 2.0 (which i'm working on now) will have full internationalization support, because I'm writing the tagging algorithms myself instead of calling external console apps.

I have the same problem on any multiple artist cd's omni encoder fails when the artist changes. You can delete the songs that have already been encoded and start again and it works. However on a compilation cd that doesn't work to well.

Yeah compilations are too difficult to implement with the 1.x codebase (hey i'm learning as I go here...). Version 2.0 supports them natively.

Here's a screenshot, by the way, of the new interface. Feedback is appreciated.

Reply #208
Hey looks good, thanks for working on this.

If you ever need a beta tester 

Reply #209
Hey looks good, thanks for working on this.

If you ever need a beta tester

I will very much need beta testers, but not for a little while. version 2 is substantially more complex, so it will require some sort of beta period for sure. I really want it to be a lot more stable than version 1.

I'm working on the conversion code now... its pretty cool. Completely multithreaded. Breaks up the conversion operation into chunks, and then works on as many as you want, concurrently. (will default to the # of processor cores, but will be configurable). This should MASSIVELY reduce the amount of time required to convert a large library.

Reply #210
I'm working on the conversion code now... its pretty cool. Completely multithreaded. Breaks up the conversion operation into chunks, and then works on as many as you want, concurrently. (will default to the # of processor cores, but will be configurable). This should MASSIVELY reduce the amount of time required to convert a large library.

Can this option be used with iTunes?

Reply #211

Can this option be used with iTunes?

I'm pretty sure not... although at least things like album wavegaining (and other kinds of processing) can happen in a separate thread while itunes does its thing.

Reply #212
Sounds nice and complex.  It sounds like it should be a lot faster when it is complete.

Reply #213
Is it me or the download link is broken ? 

Reply #215
Unfortunately the server had a hard-drive failure yesterday and I haven't had a chance to replace it yet... check again late Saturday or possibly Sunday.

Lost some data... eep! Currently setting up RAID so this doesn't happen again... will work on the web server this aft/tomorrow.

Reply #216
Unfortunately the server had a hard-drive failure yesterday and I haven't had a chance to replace it yet... check again late Saturday or possibly Sunday.

Lost some data... eep! Currently setting up RAID so this doesn't happen again... will work on the web server this aft/tomorrow.

Would it be possible to put up a temp hosting of just the install files?

If your interrested i can provide mirroring and ftp access to you until you get your server working again.

Reply #217

Would it be possible to put up a temp hosting of just the install files?

If your interrested i can provide mirroring and ftp access to you until you get your server working again.

Yeah sorry... i'll put up the files later today. Just an FYI I'm in Victoria visiting family now. I do have access to the server though.

Reply #218
Thanks a lot :-)

Hope you have a nice holiday with your family

Reply #219
Sorry everyone...

The download link is back up now. Combination of exploding hard drives, lost data, and being away for 2 weeks made getting the site back up difficult.

Cheers!

Reply #220
@Jebus
Maybe you can implement a feature to set the process priority for the program?

Gottkaiser

Reply #221
@Jebus
Maybe you can implement a feature to set the process priority for the program?

Gottkaiser

I've never found that setting the priority is all that helpful, have you? All it seems to do is make multitasking unresponsive, and if you aren't trying to multitask then it doesn't really have any benefit anyhow (higher priority than what?)

Unless you disagree

Reply #222
Hi there, I just found out about Omni Encoder, downloaded 1.4.2. Switched to mp3 encoder, added a folder with flac files (an album, separate flac files). Omni automatically found Cover art. I selected all tracks and pressed the green button.

Once the upper bar was filled twice (1st track of 13) and I would expect the 2nd track to begin decoding, I got an error message. (.Net error). I have .Net 2.0 and 3.0 installed (not 1.1):

Code: [Select]
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem
  at OmniEncoder.Frontend.ConvertForm.converter_ConversionCompleted(Object sender, RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)
  at OmniEncoder.Converter.worker_RunWorkerCompleted(Object sender, RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)
  at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorkerCompleted(RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)
  at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.AsyncOperationCompleted(Object arg)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
OmniEncoder
    Assembly Version: 1.4.2.0
    Win32 Version: 1.4.2.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Omni%20Encoder/OmniEncoder.exe
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
FLACModule
    Assembly Version: 2.0.1.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.1.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Omni%20Encoder/FLACModule.DLL
LAMEModule
    Win32 Version: 2.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Omni%20Encoder/LAMEModule.DLL
MetaMP3Module
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Omni%20Encoder/MetaMP3Module.DLL
NeroModule
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Omni%20Encoder/NeroModule.DLL
TagModule
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Omni%20Encoder/TagModule.DLL
VorbisModule
    Assembly Version: 2.0.1.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.1.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Omni%20Encoder/VorbisModule.DLL
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
System.Web.Services
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Web.Services/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.Services.dll
v6uvyjdx
    Assembly Version: 1.4.2.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
Microsoft.JScript
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.42
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.JScript/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.JScript.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
[!--sizeo:1--][span style=\"font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\"][!--/sizeo--]Moderation: Please use "codebox" for long logs like this.[/size]

Reply #223
I've never found that setting the priority is all that helpful, have you? All it seems to do is make multitasking unresponsive, and if you aren't trying to multitask then it doesn't really have any benefit anyhow (higher priority than what?)

Unless you disagree

I didn't mean higher priority. I thought about lower priority. So the PC doesn't slow down as much.
When I lower the priority, I'll still be able to use other programs while it's transcoding. If I don't lower the priority other programs run so slow.

For me it would be useful. I don't know about others.
Anyway, thanks for considering.

Gottkaiser

Reply #224

Unless you disagree

I didn't mean higher priority. I thought about lower priority. So the PC doesn't slow down as much.
When I lower the priority, I'll still be able to use other programs while it's transcoding. If I don't lower the priority other programs run so slow.

For me it would be useful. I don't know about others.
Anyway, thanks for considering.

Gottkaiser

That makes sense. It is easy to include, for sure. Will be a 2.0 feature though (i've sort of abandoned 1.x).

Hi there, I just found out about Omni Encoder, downloaded 1.4.2. Switched to mp3 encoder, added a folder with flac files (an album, separate flac files). Omni automatically found Cover art. I selected all tracks and pressed the green button.

Once the upper bar was filled twice (1st track of 13) and I would expect the 2nd track to begin decoding, I got an error message. (.Net error). I have .Net 2.0 and 3.0 installed (not 1.1):

Some questions:

Are the FLAC files tagged completely, or is some information missing?

Where are they located? (full path please).

My understanding is that this crash occurred during the decoding phase, correct?

Do you have replaygain analysis enabled?

That particular error would tend to be thrown if the xml configuration file (where settings are stored) was manually edited with incorrect parameters. Did you try uninstalling and then reinstalling? Did you alter any settings from the FLAC or MP3 defaults?