Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Thinking about writing a player for Linux (Read 4496 times) previous topic - next topic

Thinking about writing a player for Linux

Just want to make sure that I am not re-inventing the wheel.

I am planning to write a "Midnight Commander"-like ncurses based player with a little sql compiled in.

The idea is to enable the listener to search for (and find :wink:) cds / tracks based on regular expression searching in a (possibly compiled-in) database. I.E. hammering down:
M-p selects searching for Performer, entering *jack* might give Michael Jackson etc.
M-a for album, M-t for tracktitle and so on.

Any existing players doing this? Does the idea suck worse than American hypocritical facism?

Reply #1
well, there's always been lots of people asking for a foobar2k port to linux...

Reply #2
Not exactly, but there already *is* a curses based frontend for various audio players written in Python called cplay. No SQL or anything fancy but does the job for me. Although your idea sounds interesting. I'm still waiting for somebody reimplementing foobar2000 (including full module compatibility) for GNU/Linux.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #3
Yeah a foobar2000 for Linux would be nice.

XMMS is ok, but developement has slowed down a lot.  There's no problem with that - its volunteer work after all - but its just how it is.

- Agent 86

Reply #4
hi !
i'm currently dev a new player for unix/linux. it's call LAMIP you could find it on sourceforge via the cvs. also the most important thing of this project is that all is build as module.
like xmms there are input and output plugin system. But you could choose the 'interface' you want (aka. control plugin). At this time i currently dev a simple gtk2 GUI and a kjofol gtk2 GUI. So you could dev a new plugin with your ncurse/sql gui. Also for this project you could help me as i'm alone at this time to dev this.

i'm currently waiting 2 peoples who dev a wma plugin and a remote control plugin. So you ncurse control plugin could ba great.

Reply #6
2 ciber-fred

How does LAMIP work internally? Will it have such nice features as foobar2k? I mean internal 32Bit processing, resampling for example to 48KHz output (SSRC?)? That all would be very nice (w00t).