Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar in conjunction with iPod & Zune (Read 5157 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar in conjunction with iPod & Zune

Hi, I've been using foobar for quite a few months now, but I haven't been really updating along. I'm still running  0.9.4 version, which I'm sticking to for now. I don't have the time to reconfigure everything. Anyways, I'm looking to buy either the new iPod Classic or Zune 80. I know there's dop_pod for iPod, which I've used before and have some sense of its functionalities and stuff. But I haven't heard much about making the Zune in conjunction with foobar. Anyways here are some of my "concerns"

iPod:
1) I really don't want to use iTunes, so I'm assuming I'll be working with dop_pod. How do I transfer my ratings over? I've used the 2nd gen iPods with dop_pod, but my ratings were not transfer over when I transfered the music.
2) I use autoplaylist with my ratings, so that I have different playlists based on my ratings. Let's say all of my slow songs are 5 stars, and there's a "slow songs" playlist that I transfer to my iPod. If I rate a song on the iPod with 5 stars, will the song be added to the "slow songs" playlist automatically on the iPod?
3) Let's say that I rate certain songs with my iPod, is it possible to transfer the ratings of the songs onto my computer?
4) When I used my 2nd iPod with foobar, I couldn't make use of the "album artist" tag. If I had a soundtrack, the songs would be listed under each individual artist. I'd like it to have the album under the album artist, and then the songs under the album. That way all I don't have a bunch of artists with only one song.

Zune:
My questions are pretty much the same as the iPods, although I know that with the Zune, you have to use the proprietary software that Microsoft has. Has anyone had experience using foobar as your music player, and the Zune software simply as a way to transfer the music from your computer to your Zune?

Thanks in advance.

Reply #1
Zune:
My questions are pretty much the same as the iPods, although I know that with the Zune, you have to use the proprietary software that Microsoft has. Has anyone had experience using foobar as your music player, and the Zune software simply as a way to transfer the music from your computer to your Zune?

Thanks in advance.

I'm using the beta foobar w/facets.  I just got a Zune a few days ago.

With my setup, it works fine to just drag & drop files/albums from foobar into the Zune software.

Reply #2
I use foobar and mp3tag to manage my music files (and mp3tag to transfer album replaygain to "soundcheck" values that are read by itunes/ipod). I then use itunes simply as a way to transfer songs to IPOD itself. I have no issues with this.  Only thing is, in PREFERENCES/ADVANCED be sure to uncheck the option to let ITUNES keep music folder organized. With this checked, itunes will rename files and reorganize based on artist/album structure. Without it checked, itunes will leave names/organization alone.  Don't worry about the fact that when you add to the itunes library that it determines gapless info and album art (and this can take a while with a large library of files). This is only something done related to the itunes internal library (and only done once). It doesn't have anything to do with song file tags, etc.

Zune:

Thanks in advance.

I'm using the beta foobar w/facets.  I just got a Zune a few days ago.

With my setup, it works fine to just drag & drop files/albums from foobar into the Zune software.