Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Question about Joint stereo and Stereo (Read 6274 times) previous topic - next topic

Question about Joint stereo and Stereo

I encode Wave files into Mp3s (using RzorLame) using these settings:

VBR Mp3
Minimum bitrate = 128 Kbps
Maximum bitrate = 320 Kbps
Optimization = Quality
Quality (q) = 0
qval = Default (i.e 2)
No High Pass and No Low Pass filter setting

With this setting should I use Stereo or Joint Stereo ?? (for better quality !)

Reply #1
I encode Wave files into Mp3s (using RzorLame) using these settings:

VBR Mp3
Minimum bitrate = 128 Kbps
Maximum bitrate = 320 Kbps
Optimization = Quality
Quality (q) = 0
qval = Default (i.e 2)
No High Pass and No Low Pass filter setting

With this setting should I use Stereo or Joint Stereo ?? (for better quality !)

It's recommended that you not use RzorLame, and that you use a preset like -V 2 --vbr-new  or  --preset standard when encoding for best quality.  The presets have been tuned in such a way that there is almost a zero percent chance that any custom command line string you throw at lame will sound better than the preset.  In fact, it's most likely that your custom string will make it sound worse and be much less efficient.  Please see this thread for more information.

If you're going to use a standalone frontend other than foobar2000, then I would recommend something along the lines of LameDropXP off of the RareWares site or all2lame.

Reply #2
Hydrogenaudio has a very good guide about LAME settings. There's really no reason not to just use a Vx setting  (like V3 to V0 --vbr-new) instead of concocting an odd brew with RazorLame.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=28124

note: "All2Lame is recommended instead of Razorlame or Easylame"

(and FYI - this is not a "Tech" question)

Reply #3
O.k. it seems -V0 --vbr-new seems to be a good setting..............  but how do i use it with razorlame????

Also what is the difference between "-V 0 --vbr-new" and "-V 0"  ??

Reply #4
O.k. it seems -V0 --vbr-new seems to be a good setting..............  but how do i use it with razorlame????

Also what is the difference between "-V 0 --vbr-new" and "-V 0"  ??

From the previously linked settings discussion:
The --vbr-new switch enables the new VBR mode:

LAME will encode much faster compared to old/default vbr mode. Current knowledge qualitywise comparing vbr with --vbr-new is, that --vbr-new might even be better qualitywise than the default vbr mode, but there are also reports about artefact, which is worse in --vbr-new compared to default. The general impression is, that --vbr-new should be recommended over vbr-default. --vbr-new can be faster and at equal/better quality at same time, because it uses a different algorithm than old/default vbr mode.
Basically, "--vbr-new" is what used to be known as the "--preset fast ..."  switch - but recent tests indicate that there is no longer a penalty on quality with the newer and faster vbr mode.

Reply #5
you should be able to plug in the string under "advanced options" in RazorLame.  That's just a guess.

Reply #6
Can't remember exactly, but there is a "use a custom command line" option under advanced. Put it in there, and delete everything else. Make sure you download the latest version of RazorLame (came out a month or 2 ago) since older ones choak on Lame 3.97b2. Also, make sure you're using Lame 3.97b2

You'll find that -V0 --vbr-new is overkill, and I garantee you won't be able to tell the difference with -V2 --vbr-new. Even trained listeners can't. Just a suggestion to save some space (and battery life, if this is for portable use).

Reply #7
Can't remember exactly, but there is a "use a custom command line" option under advanced. Put it in there, and delete everything else. Make sure you download the latest version of RazorLame (came out a month or 2 ago) since older ones choak on Lame 3.97b2. Also, make sure you're using Lame 3.97b2

You'll find that -V0 --vbr-new is overkill, and I garantee you won't be able to tell the difference with -V2 --vbr-new. Even trained listeners can't. Just a suggestion to save some space (and battery life, if this is for portable use).

O.k. but on the Lame website, It says that the latest version is 3.96.1... So shouldn't that be the Recommended and the most stable version instead of 3.97b2 ???

And I also downloaded All2Lame, seems a much simpler choice than RazorLame, but i have one question regarding All2Lame: after it's done encoding it says "ReplayGain: -6.6dB" ( in the command prompt) What is ReplayGain and why is it -6.6dB ??

Reply #8

O.k. but on the Lame website, It says that the latest version is 3.96.1... So shouldn't that be the Recommended and the most stable version instead of 3.97b2 ???
It's the most recent "stable" or "full" version, yes. But 3.97b2 has been tested extensively here and has shown to be also rock-solid and provides better quality than 3.96.1.

And I also downloaded All2Lame, seems a much simpler choice than RazorLame,
Yes, and more versatile, too. It isn't as pretty, though.

but i have one question regarding All2Lame: after it's done encoding it says "ReplayGain: -6.6dB" ( in the command prompt) What is ReplayGain and why is it -6.6dB ??
ReplayGain is metadata that a player can read to adjust the volume of the MP3. The point of this is to prevent clipping.

LAME 3.97 can now add ReplayGain info into the LAME header, and that's what you see it doing there. Practically nothing supports it yet, however. Also, if you're going to be "MP3Gain"ing your MP3's later, you might as well disable this replaygain by adding --noreplaygain to the LAME commandline. It will probably save you a few seconds of encoding time too.

Reply #10
O.k. I searched a little and found out that LAME uses ReplayGain analysis by default. So if I use the "-V 2 --vbr-new" switch with either all2lame or with razorlame, the resulting Mp3 will contain the replaygain analysis, right ??? Please correct me if i'm wrong............

Also Is it better to use ReplayGain analysis or does it have any cons ????

Reply #11
LAME adds (basic) replaygain analysis to the LAME header (it's on by default, and can be disabled via the "--noreplaygain" switch). At this time, very little software makes use of RG information stored in the header. Most software that supports replaygain requires the data to be stored in meta tags.

I can't think of any cons to leaving it in, other than a small amount of time being wasted for the analysis during encoding.

Reply #12
O.k. the summary is that I should Encode all my waves using Lame 3.97b2 with All2lame and the switch "-V 0 --vbr-new" or "-V 2 --vbr-new" ....

Reply #13
You'd better use --preset fast standard rather than -V 2 --vbr-new. For the current version of LAME they are identical, and if LAME is tuned better in the future, perhaps -V 3 will be acceptable, and --preset fast standard will be remapped to -V 3 --vbr-new. By using the --preset fast standard switch you can set & forget. No more manual tunings, as the LAME developers will do it for you

See the Recommended LAME page on HA wiki.

Reply #14
In my opinion "preset standard" is strongly anchored to -V2, and is unlikely to change.

Reply #15
In my opinion "preset standard" is strongly anchored to -V2, and is unlikely to change.

Yeah I think Gabriel is right .................... I believe using the "-V" style of switches gives more control to the user, than the old "--preset" style ..............