Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AAC Quality (Read 2914 times) previous topic - next topic

AAC Quality

sorry for this newbie question, but is aac quality better than mpc? or can it be better in the future?

BadHorsie

AAC Quality

Reply #1
but is aac quality better than mpc?

Not with bitrates > 150kbps.

or can it be better in the future?

Frank Klemm once commented that AAC has great potential and with extraordinary tuning it could get as good as MPC. But my bet is there won't be any encoders which is tuned significantly better than QuickTime's encoder. This is partly because MPC and AAC are based on different paradigms: Subband vs. Transform. Subband codecs are more efficient at high bitrates.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

AAC Quality

Reply #2
Frank Klemm once commented that AAC has great potential and with extraordinary tuning it could get as good as MPC.

Frank Klemm said that aac has the potential to reach transparency at ~130 kbps, what mpc can do at only ~170 kbps. That's not the same thing.

http://www.personal.uni-jena.de/~pfk/MPP/timeres.html

To my mind only MPEG-4 AAC is capable to eliminates all disadvantages of the additional frequency resolution. The result is transparent coding at data rates around 120...130 kbps (instead of 170...180 kbps as MPEGplus). But a

* high quality MPEG-4 AAC Encoder is much much more difficult to program and to tune than a MPEGplus encoder
* Is by a factor of 10...30 slower
* also the decoder needs much more powerful hardware (most hardware can only play MPEG-2 AAC Low Complexity Profile)

AAC Quality

Reply #3
hm... many thx for this infos.

seems that mpc gives the best quality now and in future.

BadHorsie

edit: the resulting bitrate is not really an issue for me (lossy bitrate). i can live with bitrates between 160 and 260 kbps.