Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Utility for dividing long speech audio files? (Read 2246 times) previous topic - next topic

Utility for dividing long speech audio files?

Hello,

I'm currently ripping all my speech audio cassettes on to long wave files and then compressing them.  However, my portable devices don't usually play nice with long files (e.g., no bookmarks, hard-to-cue, etc.).  So I would like to find a utility that could automatically break down a, say, 45 minute audio wav file in to 5 minute chunks while cutting between words.

Does anyone know of such a utility and/or something that comes close?

thanks!

JP
JPM!

Reply #1
You could either use something a simple as Sound Recorder that comes with any Windows version and split it up before you encode them. Or you could use Sony Sound Forge which handles MP3 and split it up there.
O_o | o_O | Can I do anything you can do better?

Reply #2
I used to do this myself, but I used CDWave
http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/

It's greate for this exact purpose. Rip the audio to wav, open the wave in CDWave,  click where you want it to cut. (you can see a mini graph of the audio so you dont cut in the middle of a word)
clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick, done

Reply #3
If you want uniform splits by time you could probably write a generic cue file for cdwave.

If you are using mp3,  mp3directcut can split an mp3 file into fixed length segments.
I regularly use this for splitting 1-2 hour radio shows for later listening.