Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Does LAME make use of 32-bit input? (Read 3102 times) previous topic - next topic

Does LAME make use of 32-bit input?

I know MP3s don't capture the bit depth of their input, so I'm wondering if anything is gained by feeding an encoder high bit depth material. LAME accepts it, but I'm wondering if it just truncates this to 16-bit or if it uses this for anything. More accurate calculations? Higher dynamic range?

I ask because I'm filtering some tracks through SoX and am curious if I'd get better results by piping its 32-bit output into LAME or if I should first dither to 16-bit.

Reply #1
I know MP3s don't capture the bit depth of their input, so I'm wondering if anything is gained by feeding an encoder high bit depth material. LAME accepts it, but I'm wondering if it just truncates this to 16-bit or if it uses this for anything. More accurate calculations? Higher dynamic range?

Internally its all floating point, so I doubt its truncated to 16 bit integer.  I wouldn't bother dithering.

Reply #2
I suspected as much. Thanks.