Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Using LAME encoded files for commercial releases (Read 3479 times) previous topic - next topic

Using LAME encoded files for commercial releases

hello,
some of you may know that i'm an audio engineer. so far i never had to do any mp3 encoding for customers although i'm a long time lame user for my private encodings. today i got asked to do some mastering and encoding for a commercial mp3-demo cd that will be shipped with some all-in-one hifi system.
the software i use for my work all uses fraunhofer or other unnamed codecs for its built-in encoding capabilities. i'd prefer to use lame. now the question: are there any legal issues when using lame (or distributing lame encoded files) in this case?

thanks

Reply #1
the software i use for my work all uses fraunhofer or other unnamed codecs for its built-in encoding capabilities. i'd prefer to use lame. now the question: are there any legal issues when using lame (or distributing lame encoded files) in this case?

No.  In fact a lot of places distribute lame encoded files (e.g. amazon.com).

Reply #2
Always bet on LAME 

"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"

Reply #3
Wouldn't there still be a patent issue with the MP3 format itself, rather than the specific encoder? I'm unsure, so it felt like the right topic to ask.

Also, as any other KVR Audio news watcher knows already, there was released some months ago a Sonnox Fraunhofer lossy codec auditor or something, said it was supposed to help with mastering mixdowns for specific lossy formats. It sounded interesting but I imagine it was not worth the price unless it was used by highly-paid professionals (or just for those that can afford and have their monster cable setups too  ).
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

Reply #4

Also, as any other KVR Audio news watcher knows already, there was released some months ago a Sonnox Fraunhofer lossy codec auditor or something, said it was supposed to help with mastering mixdowns for specific lossy formats. It sounded interesting but I imagine it was not worth the price unless it was used by highly-paid professionals (or just for those that can afford and have their monster cable setups too  ).

http://www.sonnoxplugins.com/pub/plugins/p...s/pro-codec.htm

Juha